Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Oh how I hate Ohio State

Sorry Dan (elderboy02),

Michigan Billboard Takes Shot at Jim Tressel

http://kegsneggsblog.com/2011/05/01/...t-jim-tressel/

Quote:
It’s been a LONG time since the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry was in college football’s spotlight, thanks in large part to Michigan’s average football teams the past few seasons. A few Michigan fans, however, have decided to give this rivalry a fresh coat of paint and have gone great lengths to make their point loud and clear.

We’ve seen t-shirts take aim at Jim Tressel and his “issues” with the NCAA, but one Michigan billboard, yes billboard, certainly takes this to another level. It’s one thing to make fun of the man’s truthfulness or lack of with the NCAA, but attacking the sweater vest is clearly where this one crosses the line. Okay, maybe the “Liar, Liar” is what really stands out.

Either way: Message Sent.

Thanks to Douglas Ray Williams for posting this picture on his Twitter Feed, we can now experience this Tressel billboard which sits comfortably off I-94 for many Michigan cars to see.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Oh how I hate Ohio State

O-H-
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Awesome billboard!
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

That billboard is classic. I am still not sure how Tressel still has his job. I sure hope that the NCAA doesn't hold OSU to a higher standard like they did for Auburn. It will be interesting to see the fine for the school and the loss of schollarships.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
...I am still not sure how Tressel still has his job...
Because he beats Michigan and takes OSU to a BCS game pretty much every year.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Awesome billboard.

SEC all the way baby!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Nothing like winning games with knowingly ineligible players. It will be nice to claim that when some of those wins are possibly vacated thanks to NCAA sanctions. Homerocity knows no bounds, blind faith.

By the way, how did that "Mike Leake is innocent" deal work out?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
Awesome billboard.

SEC all the way baby!!!

The OSU diploma spelling is amazing on that poster. He must have graduated with honors.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

Quote:
O-H-
I-O

Quote:
Amen
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelknight View Post
Amen
USC used to do the same thing until the NCAA came down on them, removed a few trophies and vacated all their wins. Now they lost schollarships and have a post season ban.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I love how Brady Hoke refers to the sweater vest's school as "Ohio".

http://bighousenation.com/2011/04/27...ring-buckeyes/

He won't even call them by their name. Queue the David Allen Coe tune...

You know Michigan's NCAA violation was for practicing too much (i.e. implying certain practices were mandatory rather than voluntary); not lying to the NCAA, covering up known violations, or playing ineligible players in BOWL games. Slight difference.

BTW, I'm no wolverine. I root for Michigan, Michigan State, and other Big-10 teams in out of conference games. Even if it pains me to see red and gray win, I'd rather they win (without cheating of course) than the SEC, Big-12, or PAC-10.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
Will herf for food

VR

More....

Report: Ohio State looking into players' car deals

http://www.mlive.com/sports/index.ss...king_into.html

Quote:
Ohio State's director of compliance is reviewing at least 50 car sales to Buckeyes athletes and relatives to see if they met NCAA rules, The Columbus Dispatch reported Saturday.

The newspaper reported that a salesman who received game passes from Ohio State athletes handled many of the deals at two different dealerships. Ohio State has since taken the salesman, Aaron Kniffin, off the pass list.

Athletes are prevented from receiving special deals not available to other students. They are not permitted to trade autographs for discounts. Both dealerships display signed Ohio State memorabilia in their showrooms.

One car, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with fewer than 20,000 miles, was titled to then-sophomore defensive player Thaddeus Gibson in 2009. Documents show the purchase price as $0. Gibson said he did not know why the title showed a zero for the purchase price and said he was still paying for the car.

State law requires dealers to report accurate information about all car sales for tax purposes.

School officials have seen no evidence of players getting special treatment in vehicle sales, Douglas Archie, associate athletic director for compliance, said in a statement Saturday.

"Consistent with our standard procedures, we are nevertheless reviewing these sales to assure ourselves that our policies were adhered to," he said.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor's mother and brother also purchased cars from the dealerships. Kniffin loaned his own car to Pryor for a three-day test drive to Pryor's home in Jeannette, Pa.

Kniffin and the owner of one of the dealerships he worked for, Jason Goss, have attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 national championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.

Ohio State already has five players — including Pryor — serving five-game suspensions for accepting improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. The NCAA is investigating coach Jim Tressel, also suspended for five games, for knowing about the benefits but not telling superiors.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
More....

Report: Ohio State looking into players' car deals

http://www.mlive.com/sports/index.ss...king_into.html
This could get real ugly for Ohio here in a bit. If the cars are also being traded for autographs and sideline passes they could be looking at USC sized sanctions. Nothing like having a shot at a post-season ban, the year the Big Twelven goes to a championship game.

Its too bad that the NCAA sanctions won't affect the current players who received the benefits or Sweater Vest because they will all be long gone like Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
This could get real ugly for Ohio here in a bit. If the cars are also being traded for autographs and sideline passes they could be looking at USC sized sanctions. Nothing like having a shot at a post-season ban, the year the Big Twelven goes to a championship game.

Its too bad that the NCAA sanctions won't affect the current players who received the benefits or Sweater Vest because they will all be long gone like Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush.
I agree. I'm sure the sweater vest is actively searching for some kind of NFL job.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
I agree. I'm sure the sweater vest is actively searching for some kind of NFL job.
Thats the worst part about NCAA violations. The coaches get off and just change jobs and the athletes are long gone. Ask John Calipari and Pete Carroll how much their major violations hurt their careers. Reggie Bush gives up his Heisman Trophy and 10 players (who were probably just happy to get their education paid for) for the next 5 years lose their schollarships and they can't even play in a bowl game.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...e7311df91d1fd3

Wow, a stand up guy that the players were 'selling' their memorabilia and getting extra benefits from.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #18
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That billboard is classic. I am still not sure how Tressel still has his job. I sure hope that the NCAA doesn't hold OSU to a higher standard like they did for Auburn. It will be interesting to see the fine for the school and the loss of schollarships.
Because this guy is a complete pv$$y and already showed that Tressel is more powerful than the president of the school? Besides, O$U football is the biggest professional sport the state of Ohio has to offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o$U.jpg (19.4 KB, 366 views)
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
Will herf for food

VR

Sport's Illustrated's Big Report that many feel pushed Tressel to resign:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?xid=si_ncaaf

Quote:

It is not the noblest of tactics, but it adheres to an axiom of big-time college football, one that Jim Tressel has heeded for years: You do whatever it takes to win.
Rules, laws, NCAA investigations be damned; whatever it takes to win?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Sport's Illustrated's Big Report that many feel pushed Tressel to resign:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?xid=si_ncaaf

Rules, laws, NCAA investigations be damned; whatever it takes to win?
He and Brian Kelly must be good friends.