Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homemade Wine, Brandy, Whiskey

I sampled my blackbery cabernet and it's great!!!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #22
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
I'd love to make my own Whiskey...
This site offers a single malt maturing kit, complete with a 750ml bottle of 3 year old whisky and a 1 liter barrel, or you can buy larger barrels, up to 20 liters to further age any whisky that you buy.

I have some friends that have tried the kit and it turned out pretty good. They seasoned the barrel with port, then aged the whisky. It happens very fast because of the larger surface area to volume ratio.

I'm going to have to try this out sometime.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Made my first gallon on Tuesday. Now I just have to wait two weeks and then transfer to a new container.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #24
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

I bought my mother and her husband wine supplies Christmas '07 to make their own and they have been at it since. They actually took a respectable place in the homemade wine contest at the Ky fair last year.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #25
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I bought my mother and her husband wine supplies Christmas '07 to make their own and they have been at it since. They actually took a respectable place in the homemade wine contest at the Ky fair last year.
I'm SURE mine will never win a prize.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #26
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Made my first gallon on Tuesday. Now I just have to wait two weeks and then transfer to a new container.
So what'd you make?
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
So what'd you make?
Sh!tty recipe from about.com.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
BC-Axeman

I am not a BATF agent but I believe distillation for private use is legal. Distillation for sale without being taxed and permitted is illegal.
I have not wiki-ed this yet to be absolutely certain.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #29
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I am not a BATF agent but I believe distillation for private use is legal. Distillation for sale without being taxed and permitted is illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Although home distillation of ethanol for commercial purposes is still illegal in the United States, legislation was introduced, but failed to pass[30] in November 2001 to legalize home distillation in much the same way as home brewing of wine and beer were legalized in 1978.
Not exceedingly clear, but looks like it's illegal....
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
perogee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robert
Trading: (7)
perogee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
This site offers a single malt maturing kit, complete with a 750ml bottle of 3 year old whisky and a 1 liter barrel, or you can buy larger barrels, up to 20 liters to further age any whisky that you buy.
First, I am not sure I needed to know about this site
Secondly, I do not see any mention of alcohol included in the kit, was it a time limited special?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #31
beamish

I made wine several times,you can do this buying the juice already filtered some yeast a 20 gallon carbouy and your in business,but the price of making it has risin so its the same price to buy bottles...
Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #32
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

for all you Americans... http://pearsonswine.com/index.php?na...ticle&sid=1214 barrel, kit and spirit to age are available from this site!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Definitely 100% illegal. Trust me, I've looked into this at length. And I've been doing my part to educate people ever since. You'd be surprised how many people think moonshine is fine and dandy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpold View Post
for all you Americans... http://pearsonswine.com/index.php?na...ticle&sid=1214 barrel, kit and spirit to age are available from this site!
I haven't tried Wasmund's stuff, but I've heard a bit about it. A few years ago I was passing though Fredericksburg and stopped at 'Copper Fox' distillery. From what I gather, it seems like Wasmund used to have something to do with that distillery, there was an internal fight, and Wasmund and that distillery parted ways. The 'Copper Fox' I have in my bar is now known as 'Kopper Kettle', and Wasmund seemingly owns the Copper Fox name, though he doesn't use it. I've been meaning to visit his place, but haven't had the time yet.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #34
BPCR
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Alex
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
BPCR is on a distinguished road

Hello all i have been making wine and beer for a few years now... If you can boil water you can make beer and wine. Its all in the details ... i would suggest you find a local home brew store and ask how to get set up. Most of them have classes and sutch for free. Most even let you try a few then get the stuff to make your own... If anyone wants to try some of mine they are welcome to come on out ... bring your pipe or cigar of choice drinks are on me.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #35
beamish

Quote:
I think you can make up to 50 gallons for private consumption,the laws date back to prohibition times ,the alcohol content is the key,that is why moonshine is illegal ..
Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #36
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Definitely 100% illegal. Trust me, I've looked into this at length. And I've been doing my part to educate people ever since. You'd be surprised how many people think moonshine is fine and dandy.
I had a friend who's family made their own wine and brandy. I had asked the old man if it was legal and he had told me "as long as your not selling it". I think he must have not known or was giving me a line because even 28 years ago it was illegal. Kind of stupid that you can not make your own perfectly legal natural product.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #37
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamish View Post
I think you can make up to 50 gallons for private consumption,the laws date back to prohibition times ,the alcohol content is the key,that is why moonshine is illegal ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF Website FAQ
G1: Can I produce beer, wine or spirits for my personal or family use without paying Federal excise tax and filing Federal paperwork?

Beer
Production.
Removal of beer.

Wine
Wine for personal or family use.

Spirits
You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Spirits may be produced for nonbeverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive ATF's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.
Nope, spirits done be illegal.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #38
BC-Axeman

Thanks to this thread getting me curious, I now know more about stills and distilling than I needed to know. The internet can be dangerous.
Say, for instance, you searched for "reflux still" ...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #39
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Thanks to this thread getting me curious, I now know more about stills and distilling than I needed to know. The internet can be dangerous.
That's what got me interested.

This video contributed too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbmJy0xJgk

Insert quote here.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #40
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
That's nothin', I spent the better part of a semester learning about distillation. I've had the moonshine bug ever since. Still have my textbooks

Rumor has it someone tried to use the school's lab-scale still (~15 ft glass column still) for 'shine once. Knowing what chemicals we put through that thing, I can't imagine anyone with a good head on their shoulders would try that.