Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default 2011 Formula 1 Thread

First Race canceled.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=6144179

Bahrain Grand Prix called off

Associated Press

LONDON -- The season-opening Formula One race in Bahrain was called off Monday because of anti-government protests sweeping the Gulf kingdom.

The race is the country's biggest international sports event and has been on the F1 calendar every year since 2004.

"We felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain's Formula One race to a later date," Bahrain's crown prince said in a statement.

Abdelhak Senna/AFP/Getty ImagesBahrain's crown prince says next month's season-opening Formula One race has been called off as the nation faces deadly anti-government protests.

Eight people have been killed since the unrest began last week and demonstrators planned to use the March 13 race to highlight demands for the ruling monarchy to give up its near-absolute control.

Much of the protest has centered on Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, who owns the rights to the Grand Prix. He told F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone by telephone Monday the race was off.

"After the events of the past week, our nation's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united," the crown prince said.

Last week, Ecclestone said he hoped the unrest "all blows away" and the race could proceed. So far, no new race date has been set.

"It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country," Ecclestone said. "The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon."

The Bahrain GP could be rescheduled later in the season, with speculation it could take place after the Abu Dhabi race on Nov. 13 if the season finale in Brazil is moved from Nov. 27 into December.

"It is clear that to race in Bahrain at this time would be inappropriate given the current circumstances," Williams F1 team chairman Adam Parr said.

Parr said final winter testing will now be held at Barcelona's Catalunya Circuit from March 8-11, instead of in Bahrain from March 3-6. The next Formula One race the Australian GP on March 27.

"The right decision was made, in light of what is going on, so we look forward to Melbourne instead," Red Bull driver Mark Webber said.

Tensions remain high in Bahrain after battles in which riot police fired on protesters trying to reclaim landmark Pearl Square last week. The protesters already had forced the cancellation of a lower-tier GP2 Asia Series race last weekend.

But it is the arrival of Formula One teams that brings worldwide attention to a nation of about 525,000 citizens. The race would normally be broadcast to a worldwide audience of about 100 million in 187 countries.

Protesters said over the weekend that holding the race would be an insult to the victims of the uprising. They added that it also would show that the Sunni royal family, in power for 200 years, has not heard the demands of the Shiite population, which wants a larger share in the nation's decision-making.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2011 Formula 1 Thread

Maybe the drivers who are already there can drive the course anyway like a remake of "Deathrace 2000".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Actually I am suprised Bernie let it cancel, but I am sure he is making out either way. I hope FIA extend testing as the teams will be that far behind without the race weekend.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

As I understand it they are going to have more practice in lieu of the race
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
kgoings
Cigarologist

5th test in Barcelona was confirmed today for 8-11th of March.

There's also talk of having the Bahrain GP rescheduled for in November either before or after the Indian GP and the Abu Dhabi GP
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
kgoings
Cigarologist

McLaren looks totally a mess this year.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
First Race canceled.

LONDON -- The season-opening Formula One race in Bahrain was called off Monday because of anti-government protests sweeping the Gulf kingdom.

The Associated Press

Just one more reason to stick with NASCAR, where the biggest danger is somebody's still exploding in the infield.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

So when are they gonna turn on the sprinklers?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Can't wait! Now that I have an iphone I can keep up with it this year.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
So when are they gonna turn on the sprinklers?
Almost half the races seem to rain either way. Rain won't make more passing. It's too hard to see. Get rid of side view mirrors if you want more passing.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
kgoings
Cigarologist

Well looks like HRT wont be racing due to the 107% rule.

One thing I dont understand is in the qualifying, why some of the teams dont get out there for some laps? In Q2 Sergio Perez sat in the pits and only completed 2 or 3 laps, while the 'good' teams are out there from Start to Finish. I just dont get it. Perez had the speed in Q1 to make it to Q3.

Another year, more of the same with Vettel much faster than everyone else.

Can't wait for the race tonight! I need to get a TV on my patio so I can watch the race and smoke a cigar. I can bring my PC out there and stream the DirecTV to it...but its not the same.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
kgoings
Cigarologist

Great race! It is interesting that neither RBR car used it's KER's during the race. That 80 hp they were missing at points every lap! And Vettel still won pretty easily.

I was surprised that Sauber's got DQ'd and nothing happened to Hamilton for his broken undercarriage. Seems like F1 trying to 'protect' the stars.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Anyone know what ticket prices will be next year in TX? I can't find anything on their site.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Anyone know what ticket prices will be next year in TX? I can't find anything on their site.
Nope but I'm going! We should have an F1 Herf!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
There's a wide range depending on if whole weekend and where on track.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Don't forget the SpeedTV F1 Challenge. We have a league set up "Cigar Asylum GP" PM me for the password once you get your team set up.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 03-29-2011 at 04:48 AM.
mosesbotbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Great race! It is interesting that neither RBR car used it's KER's during the race. That 80 hp they were missing at points every lap! And Vettel still won pretty easily.

I was surprised that Sauber's got DQ'd and nothing happened to Hamilton for his broken undercarriage. Seems like F1 trying to 'protect' the stars.
Petrov and HRT were the stories for me. Perhaps RBR has issues with KERS? Vettel was on fuego the whole weekend. Ok, I can see why Renault was so sticking behind Petrov when most would've dumped him. Is he a pay driver?

I did not think FIA would say "sorry" to HRT on the first race, but good see they are sticking to their guns on this one.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Petrov and HRT were the stories for me. Perhaps RBR has issues with KERS? Vettel was on fuego the whole weekend. Ok, I can see why Renault was so sticking behind Petrov when most would've dumped him. Is he a pay driver?

I did not think FIA would say "sorry" to HRT on the first race, but good see they are sticking to their guns on this one.
Petrov drove great, and I thought it was crazy that Sergio Perez got through the race on 1 tire change! Now Pirelli is talking about changing the tires so that wont happen WTF! One guy is able to preserve his tires and they think they need to change the tires? They need to make the tires lay down the rubber instead of marbling up all over the track.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Petrov drove great, and I thought it was crazy that Sergio Perez got through the race on 1 tire change! Now Pirelli is talking about changing the tires so that wont happen WTF!
The Pirelli tires look too home made looking. Granted, all of the tires are hand made, but at least Michelin and Bridgestone tires look like a finished product.

I did not read about Pirelli wanting to change the formula. If they're anything like Pirelli's street tires, I'd expect them to be noisy and have sidewall issues, lol. I am Bridgestone fan when it comes to my cars. I'll take S03's over P Zero's any day.

I wish they would bring back launch control. Watching Alonso in the Renault take off like a gun shot was awesome.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough

I haven't been able to watch for a few seasons now. How does Ferrari look?