Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Quick Burr grinder question

Not all burr grinders create so much staic or fine dust; get what you pay for to some extent.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post

I had this exact same grinder and it sucked. Coffee dust/grounds everywhere and inconsistent grind.

Here is what I just received today to use instead. I roast my own beans and use cold brew about 65% of the time, french press 34% of the time, and will probably make some in the Keurig for the remaining 1%. I used the coarsest setting on there and I'm a little anxious to see how well it filters in the cold brew in the morning as even the coarsest grind is perhaps a little smaller than I hoped for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grinder.jpg (32.5 KB, 644 views)
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I went ahead and jumped on it. I got the Hario Skerton. I'll use it for a few weeks and let everyone know how it goes. Seems to be a solid instrument that's good at doing what it was designed for. It's mainly my wife and myself having morning or weekend brew, so a small, consistent unit is exactly what we're looking for.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
dc_glidden
Shazbot

First Name: Don
Trading: (0)
dc_glidden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
I went ahead and jumped on it. I got the Hario Skerton. I'll use it for a few weeks and let everyone know how it goes. Seems to be a solid instrument that's good at doing what it was designed for. It's mainly my wife and myself having morning or weekend brew, so a small, consistent unit is exactly what we're looking for.

for the cost of that grinder it does very well, I've had that one and the smaller one with the lid ( to which I use more often ) and they both perform very well, consistent grind. Only draw back in the time it takes to actually grind your coffee manually.

My personal rating of the above grinder is an 8/10 and if they would make rubberized grip around where you connect it to the jar to get a better grip, I would give it a 9.
dc_glidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I don't grind coffee every day, more like once a week. But sometimes three or more times a week. I have a Capresso brand conical burr grinder that is probably medium grade at best, but does an excellent job, every single time. And I've had it for over 6 years, and it's still working as well as it worked new. It was a Christmas gift from my mother, so I don't know the cost, but it looks similar to one's that they now sell for around $70-$80.

I guess it just depends on the luck of the draw. My luck with the brand has been all good.
I have a Capresso thats about 7-8 years old now, seems to work great, and has definitely seen some abuse (rocks in the beans, lack of cleaning, etc). There were a couple issues with it - one was the static concern. That was easily remedied by pouring the coffee from the catch bin into the filter while over the sink (and is really more indicative of overall house and bean humidity than the Capresso itself), and yes it does need to be tilted forward when the grind is done to get all of the grounds out from under the burr. But it works for me and I use it for standard drip grind, espresso grind, and Turkish.

The newer units may not be built as well - I havent looked in some time.