Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Quick Burr grinder question

This unit is on sale today at Woot:

Capresso 580.01 Burr Grinder

http://home.woot.com/?utm_source=Dai...=email#tracked

I see it's not a conical burr grinder. But as of right now, I have NO grinder. When I buy coffee, I have to buy it pre-ground.

Think this is even worth purchasing? Or just keep on with buying preground stuff until I can buy a good conical burr grinder?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quick Burr grinder question

I have no experience with grinders. I too would like to get one someday but can't afford the high-end prices.

Here's that model on Amazon, with quite a few reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-580-0...7702055&sr=8-1

Of 46 reviews, 11 are 2 star, 18 are 1 star, 5 star being best.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Guess that answers my question lol. Normally I check the interwebz before posting a question. Forgive me, I hadn't yet had any caffeine when posting the thread.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't call Amazon reviews gospel. Some more educated folks around here might have a more valuable opinion. Still, all must be considered.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Put it this way; if you go through a pound a week of coffee and this grinder lasts just one year, you've only added a $1 a pound to your coffee expense.

Capresso is a decent brand, nothing high end and I would not expect a lifetime of service from this grinder. Cheaper grinders are hard to take apart and motor may not have muscle for the long haul, but it's an improvement over your current method.

This is a good baby step until you are ready for the Mazzer or Rocky.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I don't grind coffee every day, more like once a week. But sometimes three or more times a week. I have a Capresso brand conical burr grinder that is probably medium grade at best, but does an excellent job, every single time. And I've had it for over 6 years, and it's still working as well as it worked new. It was a Christmas gift from my mother, so I don't know the cost, but it looks similar to one's that they now sell for around $70-$80.

I guess it just depends on the luck of the draw. My luck with the brand has been all good.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I don't grind coffee every day, more like once a week. But sometimes three or more times a week. I have a Capresso brand conical burr grinder that is probably medium grade at best, but does an excellent job, every single time. And I've had it for over 6 years, and it's still working as well as it worked new. It was a Christmas gift from my mother, so I don't know the cost, but it looks similar to one's that they now sell for around $70-$80.

I guess it just depends on the luck of the draw. My luck with the brand has been all good.
I have a Capresso thats about 7-8 years old now, seems to work great, and has definitely seen some abuse (rocks in the beans, lack of cleaning, etc). There were a couple issues with it - one was the static concern. That was easily remedied by pouring the coffee from the catch bin into the filter while over the sink (and is really more indicative of overall house and bean humidity than the Capresso itself), and yes it does need to be tilted forward when the grind is done to get all of the grounds out from under the burr. But it works for me and I use it for standard drip grind, espresso grind, and Turkish.

The newer units may not be built as well - I havent looked in some time.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Why a burr grinder over a blade grinder/chopper?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
More even & predictable grind.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
What Moses said, but I'll add that it will affect the flavor if you use a blade grinder. If I drink coffee that was ground with a blade, I almost always get a weird burnt taste (even with great beans), as well as thinner body and overall flavor profile.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
I almost always get a weird burnt taste (even with great beans), as well as thinner body and overall flavor profile.
I heard it does raise the temperature of the beans more by using a blade grinder, but have never tried burr and blade side by side. I use my blade grinder strictly for herbs and spices.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I heard it does raise the temperature of the beans more by using a blade grinder, but have never tried burr and blade side by side. I use my blade grinder strictly for herbs and spices.
I used a blade years ago, friends and family still use blade, and I can tell a pretty big difference. I spent around $150 on my burr and if you keep them clean, they'll last. I should have bought a Rocky back when I starting get big into coffee, but live and learn I guess. I'll get one soon.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
I should have bought a Rocky back when I starting get big into coffee, but live and learn I guess. I'll get one soon.
I have had my Rocky 13+ years and it has never been apart for cleaning. Works great. I clean by running a cup of dry rice though it.

I go through about a pound of coffee a week.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Here's one on Craigslist that looks awesome

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/app/3191534137.html
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Here's one on Craigslist that looks awesome

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/app/3191534137.html
Should read "Brasilia" in the ad, but that is a really nice grinder for the price.

Brasilia doesn't have a large presence in the USA, but is big in Europe.

They do have an awesome customer service department here and I deal with them occasionally for my Brasilia Mini Classic machine.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I have a Capresso brand conical burr grinder bought from Costco several years ago. It's loud and makes a staticy, dusty, friggin' mess every morning. My wife is about ready to chuck it. I'm thinking more on the lines of an economical manual conical grinder like the Kyocera CM-50 or the Hario Coffee Hand Grinder Skerton (really both the same thing). It's compact for traveling, too. I've read the many reviews and watched the videos. Anyone else have one to critique?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Cuisanart Burr Grinder, Jamie. I have one and it works great. Mind ya, I use it sparingly, but it grinds nice and doesn't make a great big mess. (It spews all the ground coffee into a box with a spout on it.)
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

The Capresso and does the same thing as yours, Scott. However, the ground in inconsistent and the finely ground dust is extremely staticy (sp) and falls all over the counter and in the sink no matter how careful you are. It's just a messy bastig! Plus, there is that dust in the grind that makes a fine slug in the pot (which my wife hates). I was thinking maybe the manual grind would be more consistent and since it wasn't at such a high speed, the static wouldn't be generated. Here's a look at my current grinder.

The pretty picture with the non-static coffee is total BS, too. With that much grinding, there would be a clouded mess in the catch container.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post

I had this exact same grinder and it sucked. Coffee dust/grounds everywhere and inconsistent grind.

Here is what I just received today to use instead. I roast my own beans and use cold brew about 65% of the time, french press 34% of the time, and will probably make some in the Keurig for the remaining 1%. I used the coarsest setting on there and I'm a little anxious to see how well it filters in the cold brew in the morning as even the coarsest grind is perhaps a little smaller than I hoped for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grinder.jpg (32.5 KB, 644 views)
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

I went ahead and jumped on it. I got the Hario Skerton. I'll use it for a few weeks and let everyone know how it goes. Seems to be a solid instrument that's good at doing what it was designed for. It's mainly my wife and myself having morning or weekend brew, so a small, consistent unit is exactly what we're looking for.