Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
TheManWithNoName

Cool Caffeine power nap

All right, as a college student and coffee fan, I am always trying to adjust for a slightly erratic sleep schedule, and I read about this caffeine nap somewhere else online and recommend it. Basically, you make yourself some coffee (I make a big mug's worth, about 3 cups), drink it, and then take a 15-20 minute nap. During this time the coffee's going through your system, specifically your GI tract I think, and so when you wake up you not only have a nap boost, but a caffeine boost as well. It works for me, as I feel good waking up from one, and would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this and if it works for them as well.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Caffeine power nap

Yea, I read about this the other day...pretty decent idea. They say you should only nap 10-45 minutes or 90-120 minutes. If you hit that window in between you awake groggy. So, the caffeine would serve a couple purposes...it's an alarm clock and it gives you an instant boost. Terrific idea.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I've never tried it because I have a low tolerance to caffeine and I wouldn't be able to sleep, but my wife does this all the time and it works really well for her.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

I have done this often on (boat) watch. It is esp. good if you have "nap-on" body chemistry and coffee that supports a fork.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Going to have to give this a try, especially on the days I have my 7:30am classes!
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
TheManWithNoName

Cool Re: Caffeine power nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
coffee that supports a fork.
Hahaha very good
Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Lensjockie

Lived this way for the 8 years I was in the Army and the 3 years I was in school.
It does have it's drawbacks. Stomach especially will get torn up from the acid if you can eat a little something (i.e breakfast bar) and drink more water than you probably do normally. You'll have less return on investment if your drinking coffee/soda during the "normal" hours.
Alternate the power naps 15-30 minutes max otherwise your dragging butt to get moving but you have to adjust for you.
The old rule still applies lay off the caff 4-6 hours before you try to get real down time.
If your groggy mentally try the 5 hour enegy drinks - basically a Bcomplex megadose.
Just don't over indulge.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
TheManWithNoName

Cool Re: Caffeine power nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLogic77 View Post
They say you should only nap 10-45 minutes or 90-120 minutes. If you hit that window in between you awake groggy
Yeah isn't that something? Lots of stuff your brain takes care of when it gets the chance I guess, I find this sort of thing pretty interesting. They told us in Psych that sleeping only gives your body about the same amount of energy as from eating a piece of toast, because it's more about your brain defragmenting and sorting stuff out than physically recharging. Crazy stuff.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Cigary

Guess this would mean I stop drinking de-caf,,,,,mmmmm,,,on second thought I think I will stay away from the caffeine.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

I know a lot of Marines that do this on the regular. I just got into coffee and have some 8ams this semester. I'll have to give it a shot. Wednesday I was in class in my cammies and was sipping coffee. I passed out in mid sip, twitched, and dumped half a man-sized mug all over my cammies. It was pretty ridiculous. To make matters worse I was literally in the front of the class 6 feet from the teacher.

Pretty embarrassing. So, any strategy to stay awake I'm a fan of.
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

I used to live like this when I worked in bars, just without the napping rubbish... why waste time napping when you could be drinking more coffee?
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
MithShrike

I have to go to sleep after drinking coffee. It makes me soooo tired.