Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Cain Daytona

Size: 5×50, 550 (Robusto)

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano

Binder: Nicaraguan Habano

Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: Box of 24, $124.95

Grade: 9.0

This cigar has created quite a buzz online with multiple reviews and generally positive reception from cigar smokers. While the Cain line of cigars have been known as powerhouse smokes (Maduro, Habano, and Cain F, Cain F Nub) , the newest creation is supposed to be more medium in strength due to the use of 100% Jalapa Valley Ligero.

The Daytona is available in 5 sizes: Corona 646 (6×46), Double Toro 660 (6×60), No. 4 (5×43), Robusto 550, and Torpedo 654T (6×54). The Daytona is a product of Oliva’s new creative arm, Studio Tobac.

Below is a little bit of information from Studio Tobac’s website:
The Cain Daytona is a medium bodied offering blended using only Jalapa Ligeros. Jalapa Valley is Nicaraguas northern most tobacco area. It is well known for producing the country’s most medium and smooth fillers. Cain Daytona takes its flavor profile from this distinct area. The Daytona offers a solid medium taste with an abundance of natural smoothness. The result, a creamy cigar with true Nicaraguan taste.
Pre-light, 1.8:
The Cain Daytona has a medium to light brown wrapper that is smooth to the touch with just a vein or two present here and there. The cigar is well packed with a nice weight in the palm. I really like the foot band presentation with the Daytona Orange color and racing bars. The pre-light aroma is mild along the wrapper with a bit of barnyard and cedar at the foot. The cold draw produces a nice spice that warms the edges of the tongue.

Burn, 1.8:
The Daytona cuts clean and has a decent draw that produces an adequate amount of smoke. The ash holds well and is consistent in color. The cigar burned sharp with no touch ups or re-lights required.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff is of Nicaraguan tobacco with a tingle of spice on the finish. Into the first third, the smoke opens up a bit with notes of earth, spice, and a touch of sweetness. Into the second third, the smoke mellows out a bit for me with a solid base of earthy tobacco with mild notes of sweetness and spice on the edges. The last third seems to stay in the same ballpark as the second third. I really enjoyed the inhale on this cigar; the fresh draw seemed to have a ton of flavor that danced all around the tongue.

Overall, 2.7:
This is an excellent cigar for around $5. While touted as a milder or low key version from Cain, it still rides on the medium to full in strength depending on your tolerance level. While not a huge fan of the Cain line, I will say they consistently put out good smokes. This is worth a shot so pick a few up.

(Total: 9.0)