Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salute To Rush

As they exit stage left, I thought it'd be cool to see what you guys have enjoyed about Rush.
Maybe your favorite Rush song? I know, it's like picking a favorite cigar.

Above all the other obvious things, like they've just been solidly outstanding forever, I think their lyrics are second to none.

Forced to pick one song, one that comes to mind immediately is Trees.
But I'm gonna go with Spirit of the Radio.
I could have picked 100 others just as easily.

If you post a video, and I hope you do, also add a link to a lyrics video, will you?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation
Default Re: Salute To Rush

Rush to me has always been the complexity of their songs and the ability of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart to perform them flawlessly.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

"Trees" is awesome. "Working Man" too. Love the whole 2112 album, and almost all the pre-2112 stuff.

Personal favorite is probably for personal reasons. My buddy and I were huge Rush fans back in the late 70s and early 80s, and we and another friend got front row seats at Poplar Creek outdoor theatre in Wisconsin. Midway through the show, the first couple notes of "Closer to the Heart" play, and my buddy Bill and I jump to our feet screaming (our seats were off to the left). Geddy Lee walks over to us and sings the first couple verses right in front of us, looking right at us. We were in awe. Cool moment in time, and for that reason, "Closer to the Heart" will always be my favorite Rush song.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I've been a fan for about 30 years. I was familiar with them for a few years before becoming a BIG fan. The song that really caught my notice was "Between the Wheels" from Grace Under Pressure. I'd heard it on the radio and remember thinking "Man, those keyboards are HEAVY!" And the lyrics were pretty evocative, too, "You know how that rabbit feels, going under your speeding wheels. Bright images flashing by, like windshield towards a fly." I was intrigued. I went to the department store and found the album. I looked on the back and saw three kind of odd-looking guys. I was stunned that three guys could make such complex multi-instrument music.

A guy I was friends with had all their albums and let me borrow them. Within a few days I'd listened to them all in reverse chronological order, going back from Signals to Rush...and was a huge fan.

They were the first concert I ever went to, 5 Dec 1987 in New Haven, CT, on the Hold Your Fire tour. I still have the program from it. I remember MSG opened up for them (Michael Schenker was absolutely hammered but still played amazing guitar). Unfortunately I only saw them live one other time, 16 Feb 1992 in Dallas. That was a great show; they played a good mix of old and new and absolutely rocked.

Picking a favorite song is a tough prospect. I love the live version of "Beneath, Between, and Behind" from Exit...Stage Left. I love "Natural Science". I love "The Camera Eye". I love "Xanadu". But if I had to choose only one to ever listen to again it would be "La Villa Strangiato": http://youtu.be/iB4uwO1Dmf4 (I need to learn how to imbed a video).

Alex Lifeson remains one of my favorite guitarists. He makes the difficult sound easy and the easy sound difficult. Plus, he gave the greatest R&R HOF induction speech ever: http://youtu.be/Z-zV4GaElko
Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I almost picked La Villa, James. It was tough.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Here's Between The Wheels with lyrics.
Well worth the time.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

One of the things that I think is very cool about Rush is the fact that they were able to release the album 2112, and it was successful for them in 1976. I also love this entire album. I think the success of this album really got the studio off their back, and allowed them to do pretty much what they wanted to from that point on out.

For the more mainstream stuff my favorite songs are "Working Man" and "The Spirit of Radio" - it's hard to resist cranking up the volume whenever these come on the radio. Also, everyone likes "Tom Sawyer" - even the people that are not into Rush that much.

Another song I really like is "Red Barchett" - This is a very cool story and I like the background and inspiration for this song. Plus it's great musically. Rush is one of the few bands that can put together all of these elements successfully.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

crazy to think I first saw them during All the Worlds a Stage tour........seems like it was 40 years ago....damn near was....those guys must be ancient...but I bet they can still rock. Saw them a number of times in the late 70's. I did stick with them through Hemispheres, but then I was done. Permanent Waves was somewhat tolerable, but Moving Pictures sealed the deal for me. I felt both pandered to the pop music crowd. When they tried to get back more towards prog/rock than pop, I felt all their new music all sounded the same to me. Might have been me that changed moreso than Rush, but we certainly grew apart. I still enjoy those first few albums very much, however.

best/favorites....hmmm....difficult - I suppose All the Worlds a Stage, but I usually give people grief for picking non-studio works, so I'm going to have to try to pick between 'Rush' and '2112'....or....f it.

Favorite studio single: Anthem
Favorite studio album: 2112
Best Live Album (by ANY rock band): All the World's a Stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LJKXIHaKqE&t=5m10s

Last edited by dave; 03-03-2015 at 03:07 PM.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Anything from the "Moving Pictures" album. Listened to that album all through high school.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

larryinlc has disabled reputation

From the clockwork Angels tour in 2012. Saw this on Axes TV. Just great live. Geddy doesn't quite have the pipes he once had, but he still gets it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrSlojjmmZA
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I was a huge Rush fan in the 80's into the 90's. Saw them many times in concert during that time. Fondest memory was I think on the Moving Pictures tour. Alex standing in a wall of light, playing his solo for Limelight. Still gives me goose bumps to think about it.

I have to say my favorite song by them is The Camera Eye. Part of the reason was my friend had gotten the album (vinyl mind you), that had a skip during the part of the song where the lyrics go "the focus is sharp in the city", except it came out "the focus is shitty". Always makes me smile when I hear that line.

Witch Hunt is a close second. Something about the brooding sound of that song.

While I haven't followed them much lately, I have the utmost respect for them. They did the music they wanted. It was always changing. Perfect example of progressive music, exploring new boundaries.

Last edited by Chainsaw13; 03-03-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

Early 80s my best friends older brother would blast them on the Hi-Fi. I used to laugh and kid him that he sounded like a girl. A few years later i picked up Moving pictures, and have loved them since. Kids in high school would make fun of them, telling me they sucked and like a real band. Mind you this was during the early 90's with grunge just taking off. Years later and probably 30 or more shows, there music still is great to me. It's seen me through many times and changes in my life and will always be there, whether they are around or not. My first concert was in 89 for presto tour and i think the only Two i missed, was this pass one,Clockwork Angles, and Vapor trails tour. This is a song off of their last album that absolutely kicks butt. Crank it up and pound that steering wheel..lol

Any Rush Fans out there want latest Rush info.
http://rushisaband.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

THINKING BACK OVER MY LIFE, AND TELLING STORIES ABOUT MY "GREAT ADVENTURES" - they did't always feel that grand at the time. But on balance, I wouldn't change anything. In the words of one of our great alchemists, Friedrich Gruber, "I wish I could do it all again."

All the journeys
Of this great adventure
It didn't always feel that way
I wouldn't trade them
Because I made them
The best I could
And that's enough to say

Some days were dark
I wish that I could live it all again
Some nights were bright

All the highlights of that headlong flight
Holding on with all my might
To what I felt back then

I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels
Steered the airships right across the stars
I learned to fight, I learned to love and learned to feel
Oh, I wish that I could live it all again

All the treasures
The gold and glory
It didn't always feel that way
I don't regret it
I never forget it
I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today

I learned to fight and learned to love and learned to steal
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

This is a great thread........I admit I am a late bloomer when it comes to RUSH......I just couldn't get into them for the longest time.....then I heard the 1st album and was like Whoa..........so I ventured out and discovered more......still learning their discography, but my fav RUSH song which hasn't changed is Working Man, that long as breakdown gets me every time.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

None of our BOTLs from the Great White North have chimed in yet. Must all be Triumph fans.

(And yes, I like Triumph, too.)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

RUSH in one word - unique.

Saw them in 94 on the "Counterparts" tour in the Charlotte Coliseum. I remember thinking for 3 guys they sure make a hell of a lot of noise! I was stoked to see them, my one and only time. Neil had two drums sets that would periodically rotate around. He also strapped himself in and the sets would rotate around in circles and he would be playing upside down. I was impressed to say the least. Great show!

Favorite song - yikes...

Just for pure memory flashbacks, "Subdivisions". I was at church camp the summer it came out and I remember it so fondly and I can connect so many memories to hearing it. It's definitely a transport song for me. I love the use of sharps, flats, and rhythm changes. Their precision makes the song sound over-produced, but I know with their talent, they could play it that tight in a garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf8j...f8jvSPA3XQ#t=0
Old 06-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I am not a Rush fan. As you know, there are a lot of us out there. As I know, there are many devoted fanatics. Those of you who are may be interested in this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...story-20150616