Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

View Poll Results: Did Larussa Cheat with the Rain Delay?
Yes 1 5.56%
No 17 94.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Did Larussa Cheat?

Please no Reds fans or Cards fans vote in this thread.

Did La Russa cheat with the rain delay?

Quote:
Dusty Baker is obviously very unhappy about how information concerning the weather forecast was handled last night. Is there a chance the matter will be referred to Major League Baseball?

“I haven’t talked to Walt (Jocketty) about it,” he said. “What can MLB do? Forfeit the game? Give it back to us? You can’t fault the umpires. They told me we’ve got a window here. It’s going to rain some time tonight and we’re going to play through it, based on what they were told.”

The umpires told Baker that at home plate as they went over the ground rules. The head umpire supported that version.

“They told us we had a window of an hour. That window turned into two minutes,” crew chief John Hirschbeck told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The game was delayed for two hours, 10 minutes during the top of the first. That meant Reds starter Edinson Volquez couldn’t pitch after warming up.

St. Louis manager Tony La Russa was asked if the Cardinals considered not starting the game, given the forecast.

“The forecasts were flying fast and furious,” he told reporters. “They’re just guessing. You don’t know what’s going to happen. But right after we announced it was starting on time — around 7:05 — somebody said it was raining at (Interstate) 270 and they thought it’d be here in 15 minutes. By then, it’s pretty tough to back off.

“Sure enough, five minutes into the game it’s raining.”

At home the Reds rely on reports from stadium operations chief Declan Mullin.

“I don’t know if he’s the best weatherman around,” Baker said. “But it seems like he can predict in minutes.”

Baker said he wasn’t told until 15 minutes before game time that Kyle McClellan wasn’t starting. McClellan reportedly was told at 75 minutes before the game.

Again, Baker was not happy.

“Yeah, I lost my pitcher,” he said. “We lost the game. I was upset because we still had action on winning that game.”
I'm obviously biased and think that La Russa is a dirty manager. He does a lot of shady things, and this one just adds to his record.

Once again, no Reds or Cards fans vote on this poll.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Did Larussa Cheat?

The game was delayed for two hours, 10 minutes during the top of the first. That meant Reds starter Edinson Volquez couldn’t pitch after warming up.

What do you mean he couldn't pitch? I'm confused...
Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post

What do you mean he couldn't pitch? I'm confused...

If this were the early 20th century, then it would be no problem, but the way the game is played now, his arm was warmed up, then sat for 2hrs 10min. I wouldn't have started him if my life depended on it.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

If this were the early 20th century, then it would be no problem, but the way the game is played now, his arm was warmed up, then sat for 2hrs 10min. I wouldn't have started him if my life depended on it.
Did the StL starting pitcher suffer the same fate or did he not warm up at all?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Andy, I think in this situation Cheat is a strong word.
He didn't make it rain and he doesn't have the ability to start or delay the game.
That said, he got one over on the Reds, but I wouldn't call it cheating.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Did the StL starting pitcher suffer the same fate or did he not warm up at all?
He pitched the top of the inning and then got sat down after the rain delay.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Andy, I think in this situation Cheat is a strong word.
He didn't make it rain and he doesn't have the ability to start or delay the game.
That said, he got one over on the Reds, but I wouldn't call it cheating.
I should have had a third option in the poll: Did La Russa make a dirty move?

Insert quote here.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
He pitched the top of the inning and then got sat down after the rain delay.
So, BOTH pitchers warmed up and didn't return, right?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Don't know if he "cheated" the delay or not, but given Larussa's propensity to out-think himself, the delay decision normally would have gone against the Cards, not for them. He just lucked out this time.

I say that about Larussa as a Cards fan; I think he is one of the worst managers they've had, and don't really care for how he handles the pitching staff.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Take one vote off, I voted no before I read the rules. But there are two sides to every story. Should Tony have let Baker as soon as possible that he switched pitchers, probably. But Baker had the same option available to him as well. Tony is pretty good but he is not God and can't make it rain. Even knowing information about the weather that was available to everyone does not guarantee that rain will come. If it had not, the way Batista was pitching would have won the game for the Reds. It was a chance Tony took and it worked out in his favor. Unless there is written testimony about the time he made the switch to the time Baker was told it's all hearsay at this point.

On another note, there is way to much drama between our clubs that is not needed and has nothing to do with the game. Once a call is made in baseball it sticks, so no amount of should have could have been is going to fix anything. All this should have been in the past but unfortunately our fans in the stands have not let it go, and still let Phillips rile them up. I would like to see all of this drama go away.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
forgop
Not a puffer

Somehow, I think the other manager would have had access to a TV or iPhone and they could have looked up the weather themselves. Acting as though the home team manager was the only one capable of having such information is naive IMO. In 1947, you might have a case, but not in 2011 when every single player on the roster and coaching staff has a smart phone of some sort in their pocket.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

No, he didn't cheat. He took advantage of the rule. Baseball should change the rule.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

Even today weather forecasting is as much art as science. He didn't cheat.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I don't see it as cheating. They both have access to the same information. LaRussa decided to not start his original pitcher knowing that the game could possibly be delayed with the weather. Many managers have done the same thing over the years by starting a long reliever. A manager has the right to change his players up to the point of them taking the field without penalty of losing that player for the game.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
No, he didn't cheat. He took advantage of the rule. Baseball should change the rule.
This.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I don't see it as cheating. They both have access to the same information. LaRussa decided to not start his original pitcher knowing that the game could possibly be delayed with the weather. Many managers have done the same thing over the years by starting a long reliever. A manager has the right to change his players up to the point of them taking the field without penalty of losing that player for the game.
No they didn't. That's the problem. Umpires told Dusty one thing; they told La Russa another.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post

Quote:
Once again, no Reds or Cards fans vote on this poll.
You weren't supposed to vote. I won't tell anyone, Dan. Oh wait, I just did.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
No they didn't. That's the problem. Umpires told Dusty one thing; they told La Russa another.
So what? To act as though he cheated seems to implicate that the other team had no means of communication. If you think they showed up to the stadium with no sense of what the weather was going to do and had no means of monitoring it throughout the entire time they're there, you're very naive.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

You weren't supposed to vote. I won't tell anyone, Dan. Oh wait, I just did.
You know Dan doesn't actually read other posts, he just makes his own.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
So then it's on the Umps, right?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Closed Thread