Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Domer
Just living the dream

First Name: Derek
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Domer is on a distinguished road
Default CAO American

I was gifted this cigar by a friend over the summer. It has been in my humidor ever since. The cigar was almost too pretty to smoke. I loved the understated double wrapper look, which was mostly maduro with a thin striping of connecticut shade wrapper. Also the bands, one at the foot are great looking as I believe most CAO's bands are. I believe this was a Potomac, it was about robusto size perhaps a bit longer. I don't think it qualified as a toro though.

The cigar started with cream buttery profile quickly becoming earthy. Most of the cigar had a spicy note, with possibly a bit of nuttiness. The burn was razor sharp despite a poor light job as the lighter ran out of fuel. I finally had to ash at the half way point because I inadvertently let the cigar go out as I was fixing another drink and when I returned I had to relight it. However it showed potential to have a very long ash. After the relight the peppery spice from before became a bit more like cinnamon in my opinion and there was more nuttiness.

Overall the cigar was enjoyable, occasionally however I got a bit of harshness on the back of the throat. If the price on these is right (read: same range as Italias and Brazilias) I would buy again. For me this would not be a regular everyday smoke, but I would have to be in the mood for it. I would like to try a smaller rg of the American to see how the flavors differ. I have found myself moving away from larger rg and perhaps I would more enjoy a corona size American. All in all a good smoke.

Construction: 10/10
Taste: 7/10
Value: it was free to me so I guess 10/10
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: CAO American

nice review... ive got a couple of these in my humi that were passed to me... gotta light one up soon.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
webjunkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (1)
Punch
webjunkie is on a distinguished road

These definitely benefit from resting. I had a fresh one last year and was not impressed at all. Let a second rest for several months and it was a vast improvement, but still not my cup of tea.
webjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nice revew,cold you taste the flavor profile between the two wrappers?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Domer
Just living the dream

First Name: Derek
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Domer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Nice revew,cold you taste the flavor profile between the two wrappers?
You know I was wondering about this before I smoked the American as it was my first double wrapped cigar. I always read that wrapper has little to no affect on flavor, so I guess filler is the main flavoring agent. Overall the cigar had more of a maduro profile with the nuttiness and cinnamon, but some elements of the spice reminded me of natural wrapped cigars.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts. I guess I will see out more barberpole wrapped cigars. I would love to find a between the lines as I have read rave reviews. Any body have any other suggestions for a dual wrapped cigar that is easy to find? Maybe I'll have to pull the trigger on some Taboo Twists I've read so much about.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
shvictor
Instigator

First Name: Steve
Trading: (40)
Partagas
shvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the rough

Nice review...I love that cigar
Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Nice review, I really like the Americas after they have rested for a few months.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
The Korean

Got one resting in the cooler. From the intial reviews didn't know if/when I'd smoke it. From these comments, may have to pull her out soon.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

nice review,thnx, but CAO is a hit or miss, and I never had a CAO which I liked so I think I will pass anyway.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
ChicagoWhiteSox

im gonna try one of these
Old 12-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
STYX&STONED

I have had several of the Americas and IMHO they are the worst thing CAO has ever put out.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I got one of these in a lottery payment last month. I'm planning on letting it rest until next July 4th and then torching it. Should be a tasty treat by then.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote