Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #41
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Ubuntu!

512 is pretty small for real time aps. I used to get by with that much but that was 4 or 5 years ago. It's just for fast buffering. You should see how much of it you are using with "free" or "top" or some graphical command.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #42
BC-Axeman

Here's what "free" shows me on my rig:

Axeman@2[~]$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1811976 1259076 552900 0 236484 537900
-/+ buffers/cache: 484692 1327284
Swap: 1004020 0 1004020

The posting software destroys the format of the listing.
I have two gigs of which some is allocated to the graphics card. One gig of swap on the disk that is not being used. 537.9 M used by cache that coud be freed up if needed. 484+ M used as buffer.

I like to have at least one gig.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #43
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Been having problems with my Ubuntu install on my laptop lately. Youtube videos are temperamental and sometimes the audio stutters. Have 2 gb of RAM on the way. Currently running on 512. Anybody have ideas for tweaks? Or should the additional RAM help?
I would advise more RAM. 512mb should be enough, but may not give you desired performance.

If you want sheer speed and performance try Xubuntu. You can install the desktop package through synaptic package manager from System -> Administration menu. It's very simple and you easily find a tutorial on the "google machine."

I installed Xubuntu on my wife's laptop (1gb ram, 1.74 ghz pentium M) and the performance increase was incredible. Also, she has an ATI 128 mb video card; which Ubuntu has some issues with. The Xubuntu is a lot less taxing on the device and overall.

More on the video issues. Have you recently upgraded to a new version? I originally had 8.04, upgraded to 8.10 with no video issues. When I upgraded to 9.04 I started having huge video issues, slow downs, audio sync. I searched everywhere for resolution. I uninstalled codecs and video players (vlc, movie player, totem) and reinstalled to no effect.

I decided to back everything up and do a fresh install. Now my system is running flawlessly. The performance increase and faster boot time is astonishing!

My hypothesis; I think when I first got Ubuntu I was playing around a lot and doing things I didn't always understand (audio codecs, running scripts, etc.). I think this botched things up and after a few upgrades my system wasn't running optimally.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #44
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Been having problems with my Ubuntu install on my laptop lately. Youtube videos are temperamental and sometimes the audio stutters. Have 2 gb of RAM on the way. Currently running on 512. Anybody have ideas for tweaks? Or should the additional RAM help?
Are you on wireless?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #45
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennD View Post
Are you on wireless?
Yes, I am.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #46
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
If you want sheer speed and performance try Xubuntu. You can install the desktop package through synaptic package manager from System -> Administration menu. It's very simple and you easily find a tutorial on the "google machine."

More on the video issues. Have you recently upgraded to a new version? I originally had 8.04, upgraded to 8.10 with no video issues. When I upgraded to 9.04 I started having huge video issues, slow downs, audio sync. I searched everywhere for resolution. I uninstalled codecs and video players (vlc, movie player, totem) and reinstalled to no effect.
I will definitely give Xubuntu a shot, thanks for that advice. I have recently upgraded to 9.04 from 8.10 and it does seem to correspond to the YouTube quirks. I also have the dreaded ATI 128 MB video card headaches.

When I really need to get stuff done, I run Puppy Linux off of a flash drive. It can accomplish about 80% of what I need a computer to do on a regular basis.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #47
rennD
NinfaManiac

rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes, I am.
Have you tried streaming while you are hard wired instead of wireless?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #48
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
I will definitely give Xubuntu a shot, thanks for that advice. I have recently upgraded to 9.04 from 8.10 and it does seem to correspond to the YouTube quirks. I also have the dreaded ATI 128 MB video card headaches.

When I really need to get stuff done, I run Puppy Linux off of a flash drive. It can accomplish about 80% of what I need a computer to do on a regular basis.
Maybe go with Xubuntu 8.10. You won't have as many ATI issues. I would wait until they resolve them to upgrade to 9.04.

The only thing I want to try is to install Xubuntu 9.04 on my wife's laptop (with the ATI) and install ENVYNG to see if I can use the ATI driver, if there is one. That might help. Not sure!

Have you check out envyNG?

In the terminal:

sudo apt-get install envyng-qt

Hope that helps!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #49
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Might give Xubuntu a try on my OLD desktop. Probably need to upgrade the RAM though, I believe it only has 256MB.
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #50
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
Might give Xubuntu a try on my OLD desktop. Probably need to upgrade the RAM though, I believe it only has 256MB.
You should be good with 256MB!

Minimum requirements for Xubuntu from official website:

"You need 192 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 128 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time. To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk. Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM."
Old 05-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #51
rennD
NinfaManiac

Agreed Xubuntu is very light. I prefer Gnome.

I have used Ubuntu on a system that had a 1Ghz processor and 128MB of RAM with no trouble at all. Slowness here and there, but what do you expect when running a modern operating system on a dinosaur PC?

You can always install the standard Ubuntu and then just install XFCE after the fact, if it is slow.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #52
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

I've always found PCLOS to be much faster than X/K/Ubuntu. You can choose KDE/XFCE/Gnome as the windows manager with PCLOS pretty easily. Mint and Mepis are also excellent distros to try. I'm running PCLOS 2009 on an IBM X20 PIII 650 with 386MB RAM no problems.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #53
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
I've always found PCLOS to be much faster than X/K/Ubuntu. You can choose KDE/XFCE/Gnome as the windows manager with PCLOS pretty easily. Mint and Mepis are also excellent distros to try. I'm running PCLOS 2009 on an IBM X20 PIII 650 with 386MB RAM no problems.
PCLOS 2009 is really sweet. Ran it under virtual box for a while to play around with it. I might have to try to partition some space off and run it full blown for a while!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #54
rennD
NinfaManiac

Linux Distros are like cigars So many good ones. Try them and choose the one that is the best fit for you.

Try this:
http://www.polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/

It will help you choose a distro
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #55
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Finally upgraded the other night. Everything went smoothly, I need to read up on some of the changes.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #56
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
I'm on Mepis now. I migrated from SuSE. I like any debian linux better than the RPM based ones. Ubuntu based debians are a little harder to keep bleeding edge upgraded than raw debian. I've messed around with Solaris, SCO, IRIX, HPUX, and different *BSDs and I like what I've got now. But that said, I have to agree with the above comment by rennD.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #57
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I am downloading ubuntu 9.04 now but would like to try a live cd or thumb drive before I take the plunge. How do I do that? I am not super geek but I am kind of geeky in some areas. Also I am on a "off brand" laptop (Medion) which is why I want to do the live cd thing first.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #58
rennD
NinfaManiac

If you are downloading the Desktop CD then it is a liveCD.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #59
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I am downloading ubuntu 9.04 now but would like to try a live cd or thumb drive before I take the plunge. How do I do that? I am not super geek but I am kind of geeky in some areas. Also I am on a "off brand" laptop (Medion) which is why I want to do the live cd thing first.
Download the iso and if you have a usb or flashcard handy go get unetbootin and use that to try it out.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #60
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

This is a pretty good how-to on burning the live cd. If you want to install on a bootable flash drive there is a link a few inches down the page that will show you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto