Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #341
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Oh I thought these are minis and smaller are cigarillos? What is the correct verbage so I don't make the mistake again?

Also, why is 70 too high for cubans? I believe you as youbare more experienced than me but I just had never heard that before.
The vast majority of smokers seem to like find their Cubans smoke better and taste better at 65% or below....I keep mine around 62%. At 70%, they seem to smoke "wet"....problemed burns, problems staying lit, flavor issues, etc. I know this from my own experience, but can't explain the "science" behind it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #342
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Also, why is 70 too high for cubans? I believe you as youbare more experienced than me but I just had never heard that before.
70 is too high for anything, IMO. I find my sticks smoke best around 65. But if you like the way your sticks are smoking, don't worry about the numbers...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #343
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Oh I thought these are minis and smaller are cigarillos? What is the correct verbage so I don't make the mistake again?

Minis and cigarillos are more like a ring gauge in the 20's. Party shorts are a 42 RG, I personally lump them in with the "Petit Corona sized sticks". Knowing all the correct sizing on every CC would be too much IMO. Technically the petit cazadores is a ....petit cazadores 4 1/8 x 43. But for my purpose and reasoning they are "PC sized sticks".
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #344
Tyler

Thanks for the info fellas. I will post any more questions I come across.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #345
sanukmac

Hi , I am a new member here and I am hoping that someone can help me with a humidor question . I live in Chiang Mai , Thailand and the weather gets real hot here so I assume that this is a problem for keeping cigars ?
I am thinking that a wine cooler is the best option ? I have found 4 or 5 wine coolers that I can buy here , a couple of different Sanyo's as well as a couple of Samsungs .
I hear that thermoelectric is the way to go but even after doing a lot of searching on the net , have not been able to figure out if these coolers are thermoelectric or not
So I guess my questions are :
1) Do I need to buy a wine cooler as it gets up to over 100F here in the hot season ?
2) How the hell do I figure out weather the cooler is thermoelectric or not ?
And asking the salesman here in Thailand is not the answer as very very few salespeople here have any knowledge of the product that they are selling .
These are the 4 coolers that are available in this area , any help is appreciated , thanks everyone in advance .

sanyo SBC-245K
sanyo SBC-725K
samsung rw52dass
samsung rw33ebss
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #346
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I looked through the internet for Samsung and Sanyo wine coolers and could not find anything, even without trying to use the model numbers. Do you have other wine cooler options available?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #347
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

I found them all online, but the sanyo website was only in Thai(I guess) and there was no mention of what kind of cooling unit the samsung ones used. The samsung site has a contact us section, have you tried calling or emailing?

The sanyo ones:
http://www.sanyo.co.th/coldchain/pro...llar/index.php

The samsungs:
http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/h...=specification
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...il&tab=support

Compressor type coolers can be made to work, but most prefer thermoelectric. If you can't get thermoelectric, ya gotta make do with what you can get. I don't have any real experience with wine coolers, so maybe someone else can give a better answer.

If you can't get a hold of anyone over there, I could call their N. American help lines and see if they know anything.

Last edited by Cornrow_Wallis; 04-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #348
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Do a Google search for Vinotemp. They have some nice models and I am sure they have a distributor in Asia.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #349
sanukmac

Hi and thanks for getting back to me , I will do some more searching and see if I can find a wine cooler that is thermoelectric , these are the only brands that I have come up with so far . I am pretty sure that the ones that I have previously mentioned are not thermoelectric and yes that language was Thai .
On a side note I guess there is no way that I can get away with not using a cooler here in Thailand as it is so hot ?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #350
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I would talk to other enthusiasts in your area regarding the necessity of a wine cooler. They may have other alternatives or be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #351
ysr_racer

Hi,

Can I use coarse Kosher salt for the salt test? It's all I have in the house right now.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #352
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Hi,

Can I use coarse Kosher salt for the salt test? It's all I have in the house right now.

Potentially. Salt testing is really about making a paste with the salt and just a bit of water. If the crystals are bigger like they are in most kosher salts achieving paste might be a bit difficult. Might have to grind up the salt to get it to work.

But I say sense kosher salt costs more than the cheap iodized stuff just wait until the next grocery visit. Unless you have ridiculously high humidity or no humidity even a couple days at where its at will have a long term affect on the cigars.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #353
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

I used kosher salt for my salt test; worked fine. Just realize that its a fine line between just right and too much water.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #354
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

i noticed a tiny bit of mold brewing on the humidity puck in my humi, any reason why?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #355
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
i noticed a tiny bit of mold brewing on the humidity puck in my humi, any reason why?
You're using the floral foam humidifier (aka: "credo") I take it?

Not an uncommon occurrence, considering it's a perfect environment for mold to grow, and PG solution won't completely stop it.

I'd just toss it and order some beads from either Heartfelt or Michael (CigarNut).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #356
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

yes im suign the foam. the mold is actually on the plastic puck. definately going to get beads once i have cigars to fill my humi. thanks, adam.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #357
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

So to keep with the hydrometer theme a little. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. How long to the batteries usually last and when you change the battery i would assume that you should also recalibtrate it?
Mine seems to be starting to get a little hard to read so I was going to go get a new battery anyway.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #358
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
So to keep with the hydrometer theme a little. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. How long to the batteries usually last and when you change the battery i would assume that you should also recalibtrate it?
Mine seems to be starting to get a little hard to read so I was going to go get a new battery anyway.
How long the batteries last depends on the hygrometer and the batteries. Certain types & brands of batteries will last more or less than others, but it's probably best to change it once every 6 months to a year regardless.

Rechecking the calibration at that point isn't a bad thing.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #359
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Really depends on the battery. I have had them last months. Just had to change them recently with batteries that only lasted about 5 weeks.

I always recalibrate with new batteries, just in case.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #360
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Personally I change the batteries in mine about every three months. Proabably overkill, but it's only a few bucks against my peace-of-mind.

Digital hgygrometers need a good battery in order to provide accurate results. As the battery degrades so does the accuracy.

Also, when you change the batteries I recommend recalibrating/retesting.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote