Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Nickerson

Default Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic

Cigar Name: Don Pepin Garcia, Cuban Classic (aka Black).
Cigar Size: 1952 (perla), 4.2"x40
Wrapper Type: Natural.

Hot as heck out, 96* in the shade. But I want to make the most of the day since I had already taking an Ativan for my anxiety. So, I guess I might as well spark up a nice stogie.

I'm a pretty big Pepin fan. I've always seen these Cuban Classics, some times call black, and have wanted to try one for a long time. I was lucky enough to scoop up 12 of these off a fellow BOTL on this site (thanks again tebone673!). I've heard great things about these, so I look forward to this smoke.

Construction: 5/10

Right off the bat, some issues. Wrapper had a little bit of cracking, was very dry. Not sure what was wrong with this one, the others aren't like this. Also when I removed the ban it cracked the wrapper in another place.

Flavor: 15/25

The flavor was great, but it was so damn hard to draw it was hard to get sufficient flavor...

Draw: 2/10

Pretty much close to plugged... Takes sooo much effort to draw and almost no smoke is making it through...

HOLD IT HOLD IT.

Is this a Don Pepin Garcia cigar? What the hell is the matter with this thing... Between the construction and draw issues I cannot proceed...

Hold on brb...

Okay got another, lets give this another try...

TAKE 2

Construction: 8/10

Okay much better. Wrapper is much softer, no visible cracks. Only issue is a major hard spot in the middle of the cigar. It didn't effect the draw or flavor at all.

Flavor: 22/25

As before the flavor is great. The flavor is medium-full but its rather mellow flavors, which doesn't mean it isn't flavorful it just means the flavors aren't as in your face aggressive and strong. Its creamy, toasty with a little bit of nuttiness to it. It was very flavorful and enjoyable.

Draw: 7/10

Draw is much better on this, almost flawless. The deduction comes due to some difficulties getting the smoke to come through. I'm not sure if it was having troubles burning, but it would take 2-3 draws to get the smoke to work its way through the cigar. A bit odd...

Burn: 8/10

Burned crooked from time to time, almost throughout the cigar. Never required touch ups or anything.

Ash: 5/5

No problems here. Medium-light gray ash that holds well.

Smoke: 5/5

Nice thick white clouds of mellowly aromatic smoke.

Impression: 27/35

I really enjoyed the cigar, the second one that is. The first one wasn't smokable, which is why I had to lower my impression on the cigar. There certainly are some issues with consistency and quality. If it wasn't for the noticeable inconsistencies it would have rated much higher. I would say around an 89.

They are great looking cigars and they seems to be built well (if you don't get a dud). They do smell great and feel great as well. The price point on these aren't to bad either. I really enjoyed the size as well.

Overall Rating: 82

They are a good cigar when it comes to flavor. But with noticeable construction issues and consistency issues, you may risk getting a plugged cigar.

I'll give these another try in a month or so and give another review. But as for now, I'm impressed by flavor, not impressed by quality.

Last edited by pnoon; 09-25-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic

Love me some DPG Blacks... thanks for the review!!!

I have only had a few of the Perlas, but the 1977, petite lancero, is a staple in my humi.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of my favorite non maduro sticks!! Nice review!!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

One of my favorite smokes, never had a plugged one but I usually just smoke the robusto size. I do have the occassional wrapper crack though. Nice review(s).
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Love the Black
I love most of his blends
Old 09-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Nickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
One of my favorite smokes, never had a plugged one but I usually just smoke the robusto size. I do have the occassional wrapper crack though. Nice review(s).
I need to pick me up a Robusto size one. Almost every one of these perla's are plugged or close to it. It's a shame because the cigar does taste good.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Nice review, too bad the first attempt was a reject.

This is one of the few Pepins I haven't gotten to yet.

I love everything else I have tried (most of my stash is Cubao, Caibaguan and the 601 Black is the only CT wrapper in there at the moment - My Father is at the top of my wish list).
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Nickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Nice review, too bad the first attempt was a reject.

This is one of the few Pepins I haven't gotten to yet.

I love everything else I have tried (most of my stash is Cubao, Caibaguan and the 601 Black is the only CT wrapper in there at the moment - My Father is at the top of my wish list).
Pepin gets around, but in my opinion it is a good things.

Try the Old Henry. It is a Holts exclusive and is very good. Probably the best house blend I've ever had. They made a Maduro which I'm dying to try. Will get around to it some day. But the Natural is superb. Woody, spicey, and lightly sweet almost like a vanilla. Very creamy.

The Cubao maduro and Series JJ Maduro are on my to-try list. Hopefully I will get to them some day soon.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Had one of these tonight; after the nice experience with the 601 Blue I was really looking forward to furthering my Pepin experience. Love the size, beautiful wrapper, smelled great.

When I lit it, though, it was pepper, pepper and more pepper. Not really my cup of tea, but if you like that, I'm sure this would fit the bill nicely.

edit: hey, I finally passed 1000 posts!

edit again: this was the blue label. Couldn't find a review other than this.