Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default What's in a Cup of Coffee??

What's Inside a Cup of Coffee?
by Wired magazine

Caffeine
This is why the world produces more than 16 billion pounds of coffee beans per year. It's actually an alkaloid plant toxin (like nicotine and cocaine), a bug killer that stimulates us by blocking neuroreceptors for the sleep chemical adenosine. The result: you, awake.

Water
Hot H2O is a super solvent, leaching flavors and oils out of the coffee bean. A good cup of joe is 98.75 percent water and 1.25 percent soluble plant matter. Caffeine is a diuretic, so coffee newbies pee out the water quickly; java junkies build up resistance.

2-Ethylphenol
Creates a tarlike, medicinal odor in your morning wake-up. It's also a component of cockroach alarm pheromones, chemical signals that warn the colony of danger.

Quinic acid
Gives coffee its slightly sour flavor. On the plus side, it's one of the starter chemicals in the formulation of Tamiflu.

3,5 Dicaffeoylquinic acid
When scientists pretreat neurons with this acid in the lab, the cells are significantly (though not completely) protected from free-radical damage. Yup: Coffee is a good source of antioxidants.

Dimethyl disulfide
A product of roasting the green coffee bean, this compound is just at the threshold of detectability in brewed java. Good thing, too, as it's one of the compounds that gives human feces its odor.

Acetylmethylcarbinol AKA 3-Hydroxybutanone
That rich, buttery taste in your daily jolt comes in part from this flammable yellow liquid, which helps give real butter its flavor and is a component of artificial flavoring in microwave popcorn.

Putrescine
Ever wonder what makes spoiled meat so poisonous? Here you go. Ptomaines like putrescine are produced when E. coli bacteria in the meat break down amino acids. Naturally present in coffee beans, it smells, as you might guess from the name, like Satan's outhouse.

Trigonelline
Chemically, it's a molecule of niacin with a methyl group attached. It breaks down into pyridines, which give coffee its sweet, earthy taste and also prevent the tooth-eating bacterium Streptococcus mutans from attaching to your teeth. Coffee fights the Cavity Creeps.

Niacin
Trigonelline is unstable above 160 degrees F; the methyl group detaches, unleashing the niacin—vitamin B3—into your cup. Two or three espressos can provide half your recommended daily allowance.

I included h-h-h-hyper links (pardon the pun)
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
mark467s

Default Re: What's in a Cup of Coffee??

Oh my God I don't believe it.So many of chemicals.is it injurious for health or good for health.Thanks sharing these details with us.Its really good for us to know.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

There are chemicals in everything. Not to say these are good or bad chemicals. I love coffee and will drink it no matter.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
BC-Axeman

Mmmmmm, chemicals.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Mine has whiskey in it
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
miller

Well i love coffee whenever i am in stress i would love to have a cup of coffee.but have read few articles that coffee is not good for health
Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Well i love coffee whenever i am in stress i would love to have a cup of coffee.but have read few articles that coffee is not good for health

Somewhere in between these articles that say coffee is bad for you and others that say coffee is good for you is the truth but internet comments are not truth they are usually misinformed untruths.

I find it very funny that on a cigar forum that deals with cigars, pipes, booze, food, tea and coffee that people point out health concerns. Health is a bit more involved then a cup of coffee with a cigar, like genetics, environment, activity level, over all consumption of any one thing, and many other variables so to say a cup of coffee is bad for you is silly.

, I take coffee very seriously.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Better living through chemistry.

looks for coffee smiley.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Now mind ya, I'm drinking my coffee right now. I love coffee. I'd easily have sex with coffee were it socially acceptable.
Coffee is the single worst thing a person can put in their body (aside from maybe TripleF).
Even bullets have antioxidants. And electrolytes.
Coffee transcends donuts. It can't even make the "top five bad things for you" list, because it's so incredibly bad for you. It sits on it's very own pedestal of badness.
I'm going to go have another cup. I hope you'll join me.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

It takes dynomite to get me off, too much of everything is just enough.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Now mind ya, I'm drinking my coffee right now. I love coffee. I'd easily have sex with coffee were it socially acceptable.
Coffee is the single worst thing a person can put in their body (aside from maybe TripleF).
Coffee transcends donuts. It can't even make the "top five bad things for you" list, because it's so incredibly bad for you. It sits on it's very own pedestal of badness.
Those are some mighty condemning words for any one to find on google. Would you mind sighting some sources for such an extreme statement?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Those are some mighty condemning words for any one to find on google. Would you mind sighting some sources for such an extreme statement?
Aside from the statement about TripleF, which is pretty self-explanatory, it's mainly rooted in holistic medicine.
It takes an incredible amount of the bodies' resources to work out a cup of coffee, and from the things that were posted earlier, it's easy to see why.
I can go on forever about how the body processes food, and what cells are expended in the process, and how much life coffee saps, but I like coffee.
If one is so inclined, there's tons of info both pro-coffee and anti-coffee. All it takes is a calculator and some biology to put a number to coffee.
It's excruciatingly bad stuff.
I'm gonna go make a pot right now, mainly because I'm stupid, but also because I love it. I do lots of stuff that's not good for me. I like it.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Aside from the statement about TripleF, which is pretty self-explanatory, it's mainly rooted in holistic medicine.
It takes an incredible amount of the bodies' resources to work out a cup of coffee, and from the things that were posted earlier, it's easy to see why.
I can go on forever about how the body processes food, and what cells are expended in the process, and how much life coffee saps, but I like coffee.
If one is so inclined, there's tons of info both pro-coffee and anti-coffee. All it takes is a calculator and some biology to put a number to coffee.
It's excruciatingly bad stuff.
I'm gonna go make a pot right now, mainly because I'm stupid, but also because I love it. I do lots of stuff that's not good for me. I like it.
So far you are only giving your opinion and not facts or studies. If we stick to opinions then my opinion of you choosing to feel stupid for putting as you say "Coffee is the single worst thing a person can put in their body" is worse for you then drinking the coffee. Where would Methamphetamine fall on this list of what is bad for you? I have known people that in less then a year of Methamphetamine addiction have changed the health of themselves for the rest of their lives. Coffee being the #2 agricultural commodities traded in the world I would expect to see some pretty hard core numbers as to the ill effect of it.

Now out of the 10 things listed (water being one of them and you don't want me to get started on water, lol) there are over 990 other chemicals in coffee most of which have never been analyzed. Yes 22 chemicals in coffee are proven carcinogens that leaves 878 plus chemicals to counteract this. It is very easy to point out what is bad or what is good on its own but far more complicated to prove how all of it combines in the body to work.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
So far you are only giving your opinion and not facts or studies. If we stick to opinions then my opinion of you choosing to feel stupid for putting as you say "Coffee is the single worst thing a person can put in their body" is worse for you then drinking the coffee. Where would Methamphetamine fall on this list of what is bad for you? I have known people that in less then a year of Methamphetamine addiction have changed the health of themselves for the rest of their lives. Coffee being the #2 agricultural commodities traded in the world I would expect to see some pretty hard core numbers as to the ill effect of it.

Now out of the 10 things listed (water being one of them and you don't want me to get started on water, lol) there are over 990 other chemicals in coffee most of which have never been analyzed. Yes 22 chemicals in coffee are proven carcinogens that leaves 878 plus chemicals to counteract this. It is very easy to point out what is bad or what is good on its own but far more complicated to prove how all of it combines in the body to work.
All I can say is "I love coffee.", because I do. I am 100% pro-coffee, pro-cigar, pro-sex, pro-drugs, and pro-rock and roll.
There are inexhaustible sources of information about coffee at your fingertips. I don't expect anyone to take my word for anything. All it takes is a little research to come to one's own conclusion. I've done it, and to date, there's not a single thing that I've found that uses as many of the body's resources to expel than does coffee.

Methamphetamine stays in a person's system for 3 days. Coffee hangs in for 30 or more. I'm not sure how much coffee one would have to drink in order to equal the damage that methamphetamine addiction causes.
It's an interesting argument, though. I don't know anyone who's ever crawled in anyone's windows to steal stuff to buy coffee, so it's not really an "apples to apples" argument. I do see your point, though.

About ten years there was a cancer study done that pitted holistic (herbal) medicine against the current latest and greatest Eastern cancer fighting regimen.
It was very interesting, and ultimately the Tibetan herbal treatments beat the radiological Eastern treatments by a fair margin. There were only about 20 control subjects for each practitioner, and the Tibetan's success rate for total remission was around 70% over the control group, near 100% for those that actually followed his regimen.
The Eastern doctor's numbers were right in the same ballpark, but the Tibetan was able to completely remiss two of the Eastern doctor's patients after he'd failed with them.
Anyways...
Part of the Tibetan's rules were no coffee, no alcohol, and no smoking.
The alcohol and smoking were pretty much no-brainers to me, but I wondered why the "no coffee" rule. His statements were on the line of "it's like black death" to the body.
So I went looking.
As it pertained to western medicine, coffee was so slap full of chemicals that it basically negated the medicine's ability to work. It used an inordinate amount of the body's resources to expel it, and basically took front seat while the cancer moved along unchecked, and it cancelled the natural remedies' ability to stimulate the body's responses to the cancer.
So I dug further into why coffee was so bad.
When I was done, I started drinking Wallenford Estate from Jamaica, because of it's low acidity and specific chemical properties that made it less invasive and more "green" for me.
Then I tried a bunch of other stuff.
Then I started drinking more coffee than ever from all over the world and bought a giant Bunn commercial coffee maker and a new grinder.
Now I pretty much drink Maxwell House half-caff all the time.

I guess the moral of the story is, "Don't do stuff like me, don't take my word for it, go read."
I would love to sit and have a cup of coffee and a cigar with you and talk about this stuff, Rob. My door is always open, and coffee is on 24/7. Literally.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Scott, here's some good news: medical studies in the past few years are actually elevating coffee from its previous lowly perception. The Harvard Medical School published a report that listed the following benefits (cut&paste) of drinking coffee in moderation:

Blood pressure. Results from long-term studies are showing that coffee may not increase the risk for high blood pressure over time, as previously thought. Study findings for other cardiovascular effects are a mixed bag.

Cancer. Coffee might have anti-cancer properties. Last year, researchers found that coffee drinkers were 50% less likely to get liver cancer than nondrinkers. A few studies have found ties to lower rates of colon, breast, and rectal cancers.

Diabetes. Heavy coffee drinkers may be half as likely to get diabetes as light drinkers or nondrinkers. Coffee may contain chemicals that lower blood sugar. A coffee habit may also increase your resting metabolism rate, which could help keep diabetes at bay.

Parkinson’s disease. Coffee seems to protect men, but not women, against Parkinson’s disease. One possible explanation for the sex difference may be that estrogen and caffeine need the same enzymes to be metabolized, and estrogen captures those enzymes.

Other medical research supports these findings. Nutrition researchers at Oregon State published a report stating "Overall, there is little evidence of health risk and some evidence of health benefits for adults consuming moderate amounts of filtered coffee."

So drink up!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I'd only try it with Iced Coffee, don't need blisters on your little warrior Scott.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #17
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (16)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
zitro_joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Coffee is the single worst thing a person can put in their body (aside from maybe TripleF). ...
you just help me start me day off right!
zitro_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
BC-Axeman

I think our work coffee has extra putrescine in it.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I think our work coffee has extra putrescine in it.
Would that be the "Satan's Outhouse Extra Bold" blend?

The sad thing is I might actually buy some coffee that had that name -- I would be too curious to pass it up. Plus, it would be great to leave a bag of that next to the coffee machine for when guests stop by.