Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Rhum Dillon

Every since I first heard of this Rhum I have been wanting a bottle - more cause of the name really -

Problem is that they ceased production in 2005. Virginia ABC stores still had it in their special order list - but it was never available when I asked. So spent the last few years checking each store - nada. Even checked liquor stores in a few other states and online for the USA. Nothing. So - I finally went ahead and placed an overseas order - should be here next week. Figured since Europe was the only place that had any bottles - better get it before they are all gone.

Anyway - looking forward to it. Seems that it had decent reviews. Don't know when I'll crack it open, may save it for a really special occasion - who knows. Anybody ever had any? Comments?

Ron

RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rhum Dillon

Nice looking bottle. Never heard of it. How much $$$ ???
Looking forward to a review.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Nice looking bottle. Never heard of it. How much $$$ ???
Looking forward to a review.
Not actually sure of the price - that Euro conversion thing and all - but I think it's around $35 or so. Bad thing is the shipping cost as much as the bottle. Which is what keep me from ordering before, not that anything has changed except we are now 4 years out of production so the supplies are running thin and don't want to have to pay collector prices you know.

Ron
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Is there a significance of the Dillon brand? Just that it is out of production and you had been wanting to try it?

Have you had other rhums?
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Is there a significance of the Dillon brand? Just that it is out of production and you had been wanting to try it?

Have you had other rhums?

Just thought it would be neat to have a bottle of rum with my last name on it -

As for other rums/rhums - click the link for a list of what I currently have in stock:

Ron's Rum List

I also keep the list in a Word Doc file so that I can update it as need be. Anyone want to use it - feel free - nothing fancy, just a basic list. Click on the totals to change them - highlight the cost amounts and type in what your want. Right click insert rows to add (will automatically adjust the numbers). You will have to "unprotect" the document to add names or rows. I do this so I don't screw it up.

Rum List in Word Doc format.

Ron
Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

I had no idea that was your last name... knew the initial, never knew the name.

That is cool.

I need to do a rum tasting with you sometime. Actually, I'm mostly interested in comparing the two Zayas (I've had the trini, but not the guat).
Old 07-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Wow, I'm impressed. Nice collection. I just added bottles #39, 40, and 41 to my stash, but I'm nowhere near as organized.

There's a new rum bar planned for Baltimore: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...will_reop.html
But for some reason the guy decided November would be a good time to open it... Still, I'm looking forward to it. Y'all ever plan a rum n' smoke party, I'd be interested!
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
. . .
I need to do a rum tasting with you sometime. Actually, I'm mostly interested in comparing the two Zayas (I've had the trini, but not the guat).
Since the Guatemalan version is no longer available - it helps to know someone who has 3 or 4 bottles stashed away.

Lucky for you that you do -

I'm home most weekends - maybe we can get a little "rum and smoke" herf setup and MarkC can stop by also.

Ron
Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

Most of the next 5 weekends work for me, with exception of next weekend (the 25th).

Just let me know and I'd love to be there. I can even bring the trini version (not that you don't have it, but I hate to be a complete moocher).
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. Nice collection. I just added bottles #39, 40, and 41 to my stash, but I'm nowhere near as organized.

There's a new rum bar planned for Baltimore: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...will_reop.html
But for some reason the guy decided November would be a good time to open it... Still, I'm looking forward to it. Y'all ever plan a rum n' smoke party, I'd be interested!

It's not that I am really well organized - I had to make the list up to keep me from buying bottles that I already had - i.e. no freaking memory.

Was in Atlantic City last weekend at the Tropicana. Found one Rum Bar but it had a cover charge and a long line. Tried to get up to the other bar but ran out of time - will hit it first next time I go back. Be interesting to see what they would have - most bars have the same ole simple stuff I find.

A Rum N' Smoke herf sounds good to me - think I have enough remodeling done that the wife will let me have another herf here soon -

Ron
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Most of the next 5 weekends work for me, with exception of next weekend (the 25th).

Just let me know and I'd love to be there. I can even bring the trini version (not that you don't have it, but I hate to be a complete moocher).
I will see about setting something up for in a few weeks or so then -

Ron
Old 07-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Was in Atlantic City last weekend at the Tropicana. Found one Rum Bar but it had a cover charge and a long line.
You probably mean Cuba Libre: http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/

Skip the line and save yourself some driving and hit the one in Philly instead. Food is great, ambience is nice, rum list is pretty diverse.

While you're in Philly, check out 'Rum Bar': http://www.rum-bar.com/index.php The owner of that place frequents the Ministry of Rum forums. I haven't been to that one, but the rum list looks great, and the owner seems like a knowledgeable guy from his posts on MoR.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
You probably mean Cuba Libre: http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/

Skip the line and save yourself some driving and hit the one in Philly instead. Food is great, ambience is nice, rum list is pretty diverse.

While you're in Philly, check out 'Rum Bar': http://www.rum-bar.com/index.php The owner of that place frequents the Ministry of Rum forums. I haven't been to that one, but the rum list looks great, and the owner seems like a knowledgeable guy from his posts on MoR.

Yes that's the one with the line/cover charge that I saw - but had no intention of entering.

I was not in Atlantic City for the gambling or rum, they were just by products. Was actually there with my team for a bowling tournament. We just hit the Tropicana after it was over as it was only about 5 minutes away.

I'm not really a bar person to much - just hate the fact that after paying for a few drinks I could have bought the whole bottle myself -

Ron
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
Wanger

Where the h-e-double hockey sticks did you get Zacapa 23 at that price!?!?! WOW!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Where the h-e-double hockey sticks did you get Zacapa 23 at that price!?!?! WOW!
At one of the local ABC stores (Virginia State Run). It's not on their official list so not sure why it was even in the store - but I grabbed the only bottle they had when I saw it.

Every store is different - it's really up to the managers what they stock. Some stores have only the basic, Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Whalers, etc - while other stores may have better stuff. It's really hit or miss.

Ron
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #16
Wanger

My wife paid $50 for the bottle of it I have. It's not easy to find here. There are a few stores that carry a decent rum selection, and I found out a couple weeks after the fact that one store I had passed hundreds of times on the way home from work had sent back 6 bottles of Guatemalan Zaya. We snagged the one remaining they had. The Trini stuff sucks in comparison (had them side by side), and I might even like the Ron Z better than the Trini stuff.

Your average shop here will carry Cruzan flavors, Capt. Morgan, Bacardi, Ron Diaz, and whatever other low end brand they can get. I don't even like those as mixers, honestly.