Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
che g.

Default help on cuban rum

here in norway the selection on rum is kind of modest. we have the standards, most of the hc's, el dorado 15 year and a cuban rum called legendario in two examples. the first is called legendario ron dorado and the other is called legendario ron anejo. the last one seems to be 9 years old. as for rum they are fair priced, same level as hc. can hardly find anything on them anywhere. would love to get some info and feedback from people with experience on the legendario rums.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation
Default Re: help on cuban rum

I'd bet if you PM Don Fernando or SmokeyNL you will get all the quality leads you would want. Those are 2 top shelf guys.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I don't know much about rum, let alone Cuban rum. I only know if I like it once I taste it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
DougBushBC

I really enjoy the Havana Club 7 Year Anejo, it is a great rum and usually somewhat fairly priced. Try that for starters. The next up in the HC Line is Barrel Strength, which is very very good, but usually almost twice the price of Anejo 7... Start with those!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
adampc22

i like cubans rums but as far as i can remeber thos names are new to me
Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by che g. View Post
here in norway the selection on rum is kind of modest. we have the standards, most of the hc's, el dorado 15 year and a cuban rum called legendario in two examples. the first is called legendario ron dorado and the other is called legendario ron anejo. the last one seems to be 9 years old. as for rum they are fair priced, same level as hc. can hardly find anything on them anywhere. would love to get some info and feedback from people with experience on the legendario rums.
Do you mean these?
http://www.spirituosen-superbillig.c...&pp=aa&bnr=716

and

https://www.weinquelle.com/artikel/L...jo_8332_e.html

Haven't tried or seen either, but they look interesting....
Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
che g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Do you mean these?
http://www.spirituosen-superbillig.c...&pp=aa&bnr=716

and

https://www.weinquelle.com/artikel/L...jo_8332_e.html

Haven't tried or seen either, but they look interesting....
thats the brand yes. the first one seems to be blended with liqour, spiced rum? that I dont care for. the last one seems more up my alley, 9 year old cuben rum. wonder if its any good? the price here in norway is the same as hc 7, which I have tasted and liked. I think I may try this one next time. will post commenst when I have sampled it..
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Head over to www.ministryofrum.com for a little more help, they've got rum covered about as well as CA does cigars.

For what it's worth, going opinion seems to be HC 7 is slightly ahead, Barrel Proof is just a bit behind in preference, depending on whether you like the extra kick or not.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Finally got my hands on some HC 7. I can't compare it to the rest of the HC line, but in my opinion, it's one damn good rum. Especially for the price. Definitely made in the spanish style, smooth and light, but with a little more color and flavor than younger rums from the other islands. It goes down easy on ice!
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

HC7 is the most popular of the better rums from Cuba. Personally, I think Cuban rum is a bit novelty and plenty of other countries make good rum. Rum from Cuba does not gave an advantage like cigars.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
HC7 is the most popular of the better rums from Cuba. Personally, I think Cuban rum is a bit novelty and plenty of other countries make good rum. Rum from Cuba does not gave an advantage like cigars.
Yep, unlike cigars Cuban rum is more a style. It's hit or miss it seems with Havana Club. Some think it's mediocre, some think it's great. I'm a big fan of the 7-year myself. The older Santiago and Caney rums seem to have a lot of followers though.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote