Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default Fridge "reclamation" project (pic heavy)

The back story:.....Moved into this house about 3 1/2 years ago....there was a very old fridge in the basement, an old GE apartment size model...
prior owner kept beer in there (bastid took out the case while we were at settlement!)....lt was in bad cosmetic shape but got cold so we kept it in basement.....plugged in.....sucking up electricity....not being used (we have 2 full size new fridges and a small dorm size one for my BBQ sauces, and other cooking condiments).....cleaning out basement in April......hmmm, maybe I can turn this into a humi...I decide to open door.....OMG!!!....
Ice monster took over....the inner freezer compartment was frozen shut with ice oozing out (obviously NOT frost-free).....wife sez "Throw it out!!....I say "hmmm, maybe I can turn this into a humi".......as she shakes her head and walks away...... a little paint, some elbow grease, some shelves from Chuck/Chasden, some beads from Scott/shilala, a Johnson controller from Gary/reflex, etc. etc.....anyway I defrosted (found some "mystery" items embedded in the ice, it was like the Discovery Channel!) and cleaned ....take a look....
A little ice with your fridge?

Oozing out the back/bottom of freezer:

After several hour was able to pry open the freezer door, OMG:

THe next day, ice finally all gone, notice a little door damage?:
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fridge "reclamation" project (pic heavy)

Looks good Keith. I'm looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I do not know from personal experience, but have been told those older, thick-walled, non-frostfree fridges are the best choice for your hummie project. Best of luck with it - and the missus.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Then took apart door, removed the gasket (is it supposed to be black?!?), primer coat of paint.....

I put the first coat on already and need to take some pics....also need to get a hold of Chuck for the "interior"....traded for the Johnson controller so i can regulate temp....plan on beads for the humidity.....
Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Looks good Keith. I'm looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up.
Thanks Andrew....hoping to get it done in time for a Philly herf by the pool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I do not know from personal experience, but have been told those older, thick-walled, non-frostfree fridges are the best choice for your hummie project. Best of luck with it - and the missus.
Thanks....luckily she "indulges" my vices......
Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

That is a great start to what I would bet will be an awesome humi. Thanks for sharing brother!!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Thanks Bro'....its no "Gator Den" man-cave (which is sweet btw), but its a start....
Old 07-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Looks like you have a good start. Can't wait until the finished product.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Very cool! I subscribed to the thread so I can keep up on your progress. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Very nice! Flat black finish?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Thanks Andrew....hoping to get it done in time for a Philly herf by the pool...
Old 07-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good Keith!! Can't wait to see the final product.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
bowhnter
Backyard BBQer

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
bowhnter is on a distinguished road

That looked rough, any hotdogs left up in there?

Looks like a nice project, Keith
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
ChasDen

Building drawers for it is defiantly doable

Another really cool thing to do would be to replace the inside (Insert) of the door with a sheet of Spanish Cedar instead of putting back the door insert. That way the inside of the door would not get in the way of the drawers and it would add major "cool factor" to the unit. Since you got it torn apart already I would consider it. Let me know the measurements and I can get you a price. If you really want to trick the thing out, send me the door, I will gut the door insulation, reline it with ridged Styrofoam and then line it with cedar and build mini trays inside the door

Chas
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

What are you going to do about the freezer? Are you going to remove that element and just use the fridge part?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Building drawers for it is defiantly doable

Another really cool thing to do would be to replace the inside (Insert) of the door with a sheet of Spanish Cedar instead of putting back the door insert. That way the inside of the door would not get in the way of the drawers and it would add major "cool factor" to the unit. Since you got it torn apart already I would consider it. Let me know the measurements and I can get you a price. If you really want to trick the thing out, send me the door, I will gut the door insulation, reline it with ridged Styrofoam and then line it with cedar and build mini trays inside the door

Chas
Chuck....you are an evil man.....but I like it! .....
I'll get the measurements and we'll talk.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
What are you going to do about the freezer? Are you going to remove that element and just use the fridge part?
I think the Johnson controller will take care of that....externally set the temp to 65-70.....freezer should never come into play....I think anyway....anyone with experience in this?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the Johnson controller will take care of that....externally set the temp to 65-70.....freezer should never come into play....I think anyway....anyone with experience in this?
Yes, it will certainly come into play, it's your evaporator. It's the part that makes the cold.
Every time the compressor comes on it will get cold and all the water vapor in your fridge will condense on it.
You'll need to arrange some fans to dry the inside and outside of the evaporator (freezer) or it will drip all over your stuff.
You could insulate the outside of the evaporator very carefully and just put fans on the inside and that should work. Depends where the coils lie in the evaporator.
You really couldn't have picked a worse kind of fridge to make workable.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
You really couldn't have picked a worse kind of fridge to make workable.
.....are you dressed in black, with a hood, holding a sickle?
Just workin with what I got bro'.....now you gotta rig something up for me
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.....are you dressed in black, with a hood, holding a sickle?
Just workin with what I got bro'.....now you gotta rig something up for me
I could figure something out if I could see the evaporator configuration.
A drip pan under the whole thing would work, but you couldn't put anything in it.
If just the top and bottom have the coils in them, the freezer could be cut down and made smaller.
You got me stumped and I design refrigeration for a living.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
ChasDen

Is the "metal freezer body" part of the unit or just a box?

Can it be removed to just expose the coils you talk of?

If so why not just make a small pan to collect the water and drain it out the back into say a gallon jug?

It could be sealed so no air exchange takes place from inside to out and could be emptied as it fills up.

How much condensation are we talking here, a gallon a day, a week a month?

Chas