Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough
Default Yet another Shilala question.....

Got my beads today, 1lb of them for a 12 bottle Haier cooler. They've been in there about 5 hours and have been bouncing from 55-61 or so. They are 65% beads. Obviously they recommend a week or better for them to acclimate/reach equilibrium....the fluctuations just seem odd. Then again, only my desktop humi in there right now (with heartfelt beads in it). Whaddya guys think? Normal? Should I feed it a few empty boxes??
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another Shilala question.....

Give it a few days.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

give it a few days, and take the Heartfelt beads out. Also, did you follow Scott's instructions and calibrate your hygrometer? Fresh batteries help too.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
bigdix
Cigarmurai

The hearfelt's are IN the desktop, which is in there just to keep the temp down.....it SAID the hygro should be good outta the box (came from him as well) but if it's still squirrely in a few days, I'll salt test it. It matched my other. We'll see! Thanks for the input, brothers. Did I mention I love it here??? Except you all fuel my obsession.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

As others have stated --

- Give them time to acclimate
- Calibrate your hygrometer (even if it is brand new)

You don't need any empty boxes. What is the temperature inside the Haier? Is the Haier drain plug sealed?

Also, just to clarify -- have you put your desktop humidor inside the Haier?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
bigdix
Cigarmurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
As others have stated --

- Give them time to acclimate
- Calibrate your hygrometer (even if it is brand new)

You don't need any empty boxes. What is the temperature inside the Haier? Is the Haier drain plug sealed?

Also, just to clarify -- have you put your desktop humidor inside the Haier?
Desktop is inside, Haier display says 67-68 degrees, hygro says 68-69 degrees. This cooler has no drain plug (probably due to size, and yes it is thermo-electric). I calibrated the one in the desktop a few days ago...may just set 'em side by side for a bit to get a feel for the new one...or just suck it up and calibrate the damn thing...it IS adjustable! I just have a few boxes on the way so I'm getting antsy...but trying not to.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Micheal's site "Says" that the hygrometers should be calibrated out of the box, but it also says that shipping and such can mess up the readings on a hygrometer.

Sooo.... You should calibrate your hygrometer. I ordered one of the calibration packs with my hygrometer, it was only a dollar. I would trust the pack over the salt test anyday.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
bigdix
Cigarmurai

Ok, calibrated with a humi pack....it's good to go. About a week in the wine cooler. 54% to 57% is where I'm at. Gonna go with Michaels suggestion and just keep waiting it out! The funny thing is that I live on a subtropical island and the ambient RH in my house is about 66%. We shall see!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Micheal's site "Says" that the hygrometers should be calibrated out of the box, but it also says that shipping and such can mess up the readings on a hygrometer.

Sooo.... You should calibrate your hygrometer. I ordered one of the calibration packs with my hygrometer, it was only a dollar. I would trust the pack over the salt test anyday.
I Never Could Get The "Salt Test" To Work Right. I Always Use The Boveda Calibration Packs!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdix View Post
Ok, calibrated with a humi pack....it's good to go. About a week in the wine cooler. 54% to 57% is where I'm at. Gonna go with Michaels suggestion and just keep waiting it out! The funny thing is that I live on a subtropical island and the ambient RH in my house is about 66%. We shall see!!
Dan: It Also Depends On What You Have In Your Wine Cooler, How Full It Is, How "Wet" Your New Sticks Are, Etc. Give It Time, All Is Well!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
bigdix
Cigarmurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Dan: It Also Depends On What You Have In Your Wine Cooler, How Full It Is, How "Wet" Your New Sticks Are, Etc. Give It Time, All Is Well!
Thanks, Greg. Trying to be patient