Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Partagas 160 Robusto Major

Here's a little bio I found:

"In 1995 General Cigar offered an extremely limited edition cigar to commemorate the 150 years Partagas cigars have been in production- the Partagas 150. Ten years later, using the same rare, 1977 vintage Cameroon wrapper, they launched the Partagas 160 Signature Series.

These very sought-after beauties are Cigar Master Daniel Nuñez’s tribute to the legacy of his mentor, the legendary Ramón Cifuentes. Blended with Dominican Piloto Cubano and Mexican San Andres filler tobaccos, these cigars have been sorted three times to intensify the flavors of the tobaccos. The result is a cigar connoisseur’s delight; a medium bodied, well-balanced, extremely rich and creamy smoke."

Cigar: Partagas 160 Robusto Major
Size: 5.5 x 52
Price: $18-$23
Paired: Mendocino Oatmeal Stout
Time: 1.5 hours

This cigar was gifted to me years ago by a fellow PSHC member. I probably have 30 or so HTF or premium NCs and I don't smoke them often. The only NCs I buy are special deals with buddies just to have smokes on the golf course, so my stash if limited. It was a raining afternoon yesterday and after eyeing this guy for a few weeks, I decided it was time. I also thought about a little review, so here it goes.

Initial: The cigar was well-constructed, firm, and tight. It had a typical cigar smell. It wasn't that attractive, as the wrapper looked a little splotchy and faded. I guess that's to be expected given the age of the wrapper. I punched it and toasted away.

1st third: It lit great. The draw was not loose and was probably a tad tight. After a few drags and a little finger rolling, it loosened up nicely. My initial thought were very pleasing. Hype-wise, I was prepared for a big let down, another run-of-the-mill premium smoke that would for sure not make it all the way through a blind taste test. However, the taste was very smooth with a strong bread presence. There was no spice, pepper, etc. I would call it medium. The aftertastes were not long and were quite pleasing. The bread flavors were even more pronounced in the nasal exhale. Again, strange, as I don't nasal exhale the majority of NCs as I find them too harsh for my olfactory system. For several draws in this first third I picked up salt. It reminded me of the salty taste I get from Dips or Sancho Panzas. Very pronounced and a nice surprise. After that short incident, however, it was gone. I kept trying to compare this stick to others I've had. It was a unique NC in that it didn't taste like an NC. I would have to say it was very similar to a fresh PLPC. That's pretty bold for me to say, as I don't remember any NCs that directly remind me of CCs. It paired well with my oatmeal stout. No touchups.

2nd third:
The draw was much looser and just about right. No more salt, but still lots of bread. As I was getting deeper, I thought it would change to a little more fuller smoke, but it didn't. It remained smooth, and while a little stronger, would still be what I called medium. Nasal exhales were still tasty. There were more hints of wood and leather as I got deeper. It wasn't overly complex with flavors shifting every few draws, but it was enjoyable. Also noted was the absence of sweetness. It was in no way bitter or hot, but it also wasn't sweet. No touchups.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Partagas 160 Robusto Major

3rd third:
From here to the end, it smoked great. I never picked up the lighter from the initial toasting. It burned razor sharp and held an inch of ash with no problem. It was building a little to a medium-full smoke, but still very smooth. The nasal exhales were still enjoyable and flavorful with the same pronounced bread and subtle wood/leather profiles. It still reminded of a PLPC. I took it down to around an inch.

Conclusions:
I admit I was very pleased and surprised. This cigar has history and hype and I saw it as a sales ploy. I was mistaken. This entire smoke was smooth, slightly woodsy with a little leather, and busting with warm bread. I'd dare say creamy would work, too. It's not overly-complex and even kind of predictable once you get going. It never hot or bitter and burned as well as any cigar could. It was a most unique NC to me. Would I want to pay $20 for one - maybe during a special occasion. It is worth the money - yes, compared to other $20 NCs. It was a great cigar. Great NCs can cost you and I've seen premium money plopped down for smokes no where near this caliber. I expected a lot and I got a lot. This is rare for my NC experience.

Number: I'd give it a 94.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I have to admit, I was worried when I saw you chose to pair it with an Oatmeal Stout. The 160's are now getting up there in age and the flavors are becoming more delicate and nuanced. I was afraid such a full flavored beer would overpower it. Nice review.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I hate it because it's a General Cigar stick

Not really

Just wanted to get a "General" slam in!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Great review Jamie, thanks for the thoughts and pictures on this one.

This is one of the NCs that age really, really well... Ive heard that the Partagas 150s and 160s are excellent candidates for laying down for 5-10 years.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Awesome Interview!! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Great review, thanks...
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I loved the 150s, had a number of them. I never had a 160, maybe I should.

Thanks for the nice review.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
dubleuhb
Big egos have little ears

First Name: Bill
Trading: (2)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
dubleuhb is on a distinguished road

Nice review. Great first cigar for the day. Couple years back my one of my locals had them insanely cheap compared to MSRP. Only had the Robusto Minors, down to my last half box, wish I could have bought them all.
dubleuhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

For the price, I'm weary. But -- I've yet to have a bad Partagas.. Your review may have swayed me to pick one or two up. Now to find an inexpensive obtainment route. :-D
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Inside_INFO

In think it over price for a non Cuban Partagas General Cigars is just taking advantage that there is not cuban cigars in the states. For the looks I will guess it will dry you mouth and it will be a very hot burn filling...
I can wait to see a traditional cigar made with love and know how. Now we just paying for marketing.
All this big boys are taking the industry for a ride....
Nothing personal I just can`t take it no more.... They are printing label and puting prices.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside_INFO View Post
... For the looks I will guess it will dry you mouth and it will be a very hot burn filling...
That's one helluva trick; to review a stick without even smoking it!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
That's one helluva trick; to review a stick without even smoking it!

But he's "Inside_INFO"! He's gots da skillz!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
But he's "Inside_INFO"! He's gots da skillz!
If I had skillz like that, I wouldn't even have to buy any sticks; I could just look at pictures.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
If I had skillz like that, I wouldn't even have to buy any sticks; I could just look at pictures.
It would be really cool if it worked on other pictures too.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.
Victoria's Secret catalog.
Best of The Golden Girls, a sitcom history in pictures.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
It would be really cool if it worked on other pictures too.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.
Victoria's Secret catalog.
Best of The Golden Girls, a sitcom history in pictures.
I was thinking Hustler, Penthouse, Jane's Fighting Ships...
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I was thinking Hustler, Penthouse, Jane's Fighting Ships...
What? No love for Bea Arthur?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
What? No love for Bea Arthur?

Naw, never liked him.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Naw, never liked him.
More of an Estelle Getty type then.

Say no more. Say no more.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
More of an Estelle Getty type then.

Say no more. Say no more.
Wink wink, nudge nudge.