Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about
Default The legal age of a cigar?

I have a question about how long to age a cigar? Is there a such thing as to long?

Most of my collection is fairly new. I only have three cigars that I have been aging for more than a year. I understand the rule of 3s and I always let my new one rest for the proper amount of time.

The three cigars that I have been aging for a while were all gifts to me and previously aged.

OpusX XXX - 4 years prior 3 under my care
Casa Fuente - 2 years prior 3 under my care
OpusX Fuente Fuente - 1 year prior 2 under my care.

First off, should I continue to let these three age or is there a proper time to smoke them?

Second is there another general rule for most other cigars other than the rule of 3s?

Thanks,
Adam
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: The legal age of a cigar?

It varies on the cigar, some better with age while others don't. It is figuring out what you like is the challenge at hand. Opus usually require at least 2 years IMO. While others get weaker with time. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

For the record, the rule of 3's is a joke.....seriously...in case you didn't know.

It holds ZERO truth or merit. However letting them sit for 3 weeks after you receive them isn't a bad idea, but hardly a fact by any means. Some might need more, some might need less.

Obligatory "aging is a crapshoot"

Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
I have a question about how long to age a cigar? Is there a such thing as to long?

Most of my collection is fairly new. I only have three cigars that I have been aging for more than a year. I understand the rule of 3s and I always let my new one rest for the proper amount of time.

The three cigars that I have been aging for a while were all gifts to me and previously aged.

First off, should I continue to let these three age or is there a proper time to smoke them?

Second is there another general rule for most other cigars other than the rule of 3s?

Thanks,
Adam
In all seriousness, the so-called "Rule of 3's" was "invented" (I use that term loosely!) by a Cigar Newbie based on no knowledge. There is no rule of 3's.

Age cigars as long as you like. Some cigars age better than others. For example, Padron says NOT to age their cigars because they are not meant to be aged.

The only way to know if aging is helping is to try the cigars...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I say smoke that opus XXX!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

All up to you man.

Some people like them fresher, some like them aged. It's all personal preference.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I don't think you will be dissapointed with any of these at their current age. I've been smoking Anejo Sharks from 2010 and they are fabulous.

MCS
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
In all seriousness, the so-called "Rule of 3's" was "invented".................There is no rule of 3's.
Blasphemer! Long live the Rule of 3!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Because most NC cigars have a good ammount of age on the tobacco before it is rolled your best to sample from a group of cigars while you age to see the changes. I understand that in your case you only have a couple and in that case I say smoke one and see what you think.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Blasphemer! Long live the Rule of 3!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Hankerson/Wilkerson (whatever his name was) when you need him?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

<---- NOOB

Thanks for the advice guys.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #13
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

If you do get up the nerve to smoke them make sure you give us some reviews.
I would have a hard time smoking something I have been keeping for that long, I would almost be tempted to call them an antique and keep them forever!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #14
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Smoke zem, smoke zem all!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
We need him like we need gonorrhea.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #16
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Nickerson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
We need him like we need gonorrhea.
This.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

The info I've gathered over the years is most NCs don't age well. Prime example, Shilala's blind review contest. Some might, but most probably don't. CCs seem to take aging better. DaKlugs is a firm believer in at least 10-year old Cohibos and he's smart.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #18
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks,
Adam
Here's my general rule:

Smoke em if ya got em.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #19
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
The info I've gathered over the years is most NCs don't age well. Prime example, Shilala's blind review contest. Some might, but most probably don't. CCs seem to take aging better. DaKlugs is a firm believer in at least 10-year old Cohibos and he's smart.
as far as the shilala contest - based on your comment I was expecting it to be "compare a fresh NC to an aged one". But all I found was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I just got caught up with your reviews, Wayne. You did an awesome job, and your prize smokes are on the way.
I posted my thoughts on the jar process over in Eric's thread, and I'm going to post them here because it answers to the aging comment you made. These particular cigars turn to crap in a year to 18 months in the humi, they just completely die and turn to flavorless nothingness. I think the jars slowed that death by a good year or two. These smokes, from my experience, should have been tasteless by November of '09. So I think the jars help, but I was looking for something that absolutely halted the downfall of these cheapo cigars and kept them good forever. To that goal, they failed. They still worked much better than my winador and cabinet humi, for sure. We're working with bottom-line crap tobacco, so the jars could very well still be a huge help with good weed. Time will tell.

Here's the post I made over in Eric's thread. Your prize smokes have been sent as well, and I thank you VERY much for suffering through this!!!

The Arizona Cardinals remark made me LOL.
Well done, Eric. I don't think I could have been blessed with two better reviewers than you and Wayne.
I'm not sure if the jar/review experiment showed me anything that was really quantitive. If anything, it supported my personal thoughts that aging cigars sucks for my intents and purposes. After a time, they just go blah, and that's that. I do feel that the jars slowed the aging on this value tobacco, as they'd have gone south and been completely dull in a year to 18 months time in the humi. I can say that because I've tested and watched it happen many, many times. I just wanted to find a way to keep a nice, strong, flavorful, full-bodied cigar from suffering the sands of time. The jars help, but they aren't the fountain of youth I was looking for. Unfortunately, they may be the only option.
I know cc's have special magical powers that make them super better with age, but in my experience, just as many of them suffer from the aging blahs as do nc's. I'll always respect "smoke what you like...", and being an objective/subjective argument, it's all unwinnable and senseless. I wouldn't want to tear down anything that gives anyone joy, that's for sure.
I absolutely believe that the quality of the tobacco that's used to roll any cigar, cc or nc, makes all the difference in the world as to how it will age. A good plant grown in stellar soil, then prepared with great care is going to yield that nuance that a good nc or cc will gain with age. By the same token, they'll lose the strength and flavors they began with while they travel to nuance-ville.
It's hard to make the call. Do I smoke it now while it's awesome, or do I wait ten years and see what happens on the chance it may even be a better but very different cigar?
If I like a cigar but it's too strong and overpowering, time is going to soften it and make it "better" for me. I just have never found a cigar that needed calmed down strength-wise. It's a great tool for guys who would enjoy a milder cigar, for sure.
The longer I go and the older I get and the more I fuss and study, the more I am on board with the old cc and nc producers/rollers who say "these are best RIGHT NOW". I'm not so sure they even mean right now as opposed to letting them sit around for a long time. I think they simply mean it's best to be smoking any cigar RIGHT NOW than not smoking a cigar.
I can live with that.
so - scott thinks they don't age well, and then based on a numeric rating of cigars of a certain age, concludes that those reviewers support his theory???

doesn't say much to me...
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks,
Adam
Legal age of a cigar? Varies from state to state. You need to always check for their ID.

Quote:
I used to follow lots of rules. I do away with most of them now. It takes the fun out of smoking cigars. However, I would advise you to read up and follow them as well. Then decide for yourself if they are for you. The journey of discovery is half of the fun of smoking cigars.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote