Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Help with trip to Florida.

Me and the mrs. Were talking about taking our son to Disney world/universal studios. I was just curious if anyone had any tips on where to stay and when to go to help save a little money.

I'm not looking at spending $300 a night on a room but at the same time, I don't want to stay in a dump either. Maybe that's not possible, I'm not sure.

I know there are a lot of brothers in the Florida area and I figured you guys might be able to give me a little info.

Any help, tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help with trip to Florida.

When I go to WDW we like to stay at a WDW resort -- it's a lot more convenient and while it might cost a little more for the room you can save money on transportation and travel time (opportunity cost). The Pop Century resort is a very nice value resort at WDW and might fit your needs.

You can take a cab or other transportation when you want to visit other attractions (like Universal).

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
When I go to WDW we like to stay at a WDW resort -- it's a lot more convenient and while it might cost a little more for the room you can save money on transportation and travel time (opportunity cost). The Pop Century resort is a very nice value resort at WDW and might fit your needs.

You can take a cab or other transportation when you want to visit other attractions (like Universal).

Just my
Thank you good sir!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Ever think of going to Disneyland in California instead? You can find some bargains in the area, and could make a side trip to San Diego while you were there.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Ever think of going to Disneyland in California instead? You can find some bargains in the area, and could make a side trip to San Diego while you were there.
It has been discussed, still might be an option.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
It has been discussed, still might be an option.
Nice, some great BOTLs to herf with in San Diego!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Me and the mrs. Were talking about taking our son to Disney world/universal studios. I was just curious if anyone had any tips on where to stay and when to go to help save a little money.

I'm not looking at spending $300 a night on a room but at the same time, I don't want to stay in a dump either. Maybe that's not possible, I'm not sure.

I know there are a lot of brothers in the Florida area and I figured you guys might be able to give me a little info.

Any help, tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Go online and check out some of the package deals at the All Stars Resorts at Disney. They are the least expensive resorts at disney, you can have transportation back and forth from the park, any souvenirs or pictures can be delivered to your room, and there are meal passes available as well. I feel your pain in spending a bunch of money for the room, but if you shop through some of their packages, it can be well worth it. We have done this several times in the past.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I've lived in Orlando and worked in tourism for the last 22 years, so if you need help, shoot me questions.

Personally, I like to stay in a villa with a kitchen whenever possible, and although your price range won't get you one on Disney property, there are more timeshare resorts within 10 minutes of Disney than I can count.

Sure, there are many plusses about staying on Disney property like convenience, but it comes at a high cost and you have a hard time finding anything that isn't mobbed and a tourist trap when you leave the parks to eat.

A big factor on cost will be the time of year you plan to travel, and I am guessing it will be when your son is out of school, which means many others will probably be doing the same.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Nice, some great BOTLs to herf with in San Diego!!
same goes for Orlando
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Originally being from Florida, by cocoa beach and now living in SD, I can say wholeheartedly that Disneyland is barely comparable to Disney World, not even close.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Pete. I always look for the full kitchen. Feed the kids breakfast. Eat in the parks for lunch, cook dinner in the room. And since you mentioned Universal and Disney, the cheaper resorts are off Disney property and will put you closer to Universal. My boys are 14 and 11. If your son is in that age or older, 1 day at Disney( if he has never been) and the rest at the Universal Parks. Better coasters.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Check out the log cabins at Fort Wilderness in Disney. They should be close to your price range, have 4 beds and a kitchen. You can either take trams to the park or if you want to drive, staying at a Disney resort gives you free parking in any park you want to visit.

Good luck with you trip and planning!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
Check out the log cabins at Fort Wilderness in Disney. They should be close to your price range, have 4 beds and a kitchen. You can either take trams to the park or if you want to drive, staying at a Disney resort gives you free parking in any park you want to visit.

Good luck with you trip and planning!
There is so much to do at Fort Wilderness. We stayed there 4 days and only left for the park 1 day. Kids loved it and met a lot of kids at the pool.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Another fun thing to do is pool hop at the different Disney resorts.

I've been doing it for years and never had anyone ask if I was staying there.

To avoid being too much of a freeloader, I always patronize the overpriced pool bar and grill while enjoying some really nice pools.

The nicest of them all isn't at Disney though; it's at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal with the underwater speakers and frequent live music.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Wow, a lot of good info here. Thanks guys.

Pete, I may shoot you a message.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Rhino
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Rhino is on a distinguished road

You have several good suggestions here, especially between the timeshares and Disney. I used to work for the Disney reservations Department if you have any questions about those resorts I'll be glad to try and help answer them. They have 3 levels of resorts. I like to shoose the Mid range for usually about $160-200/night but if you want to splurge the Animal Kingdom lodge is great too but they start around $360. There are some decent smoke shops in the area too!
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Do you know any Active Duty Military? They get a CRAZY discount. My Wife says it's like $130 for 4 days per person for all the Parks.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Real1929
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Real1929 is on a distinguished road

We are going this summer and decided to rent a house from I think villa direct. 5br, 4ba with pool. Hope this helps. Any way you go will be a great time. Enjoy.
Real1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

We've gone to Disney and Orlando numerous times. Anything Hilton (Hilton, Double Tree, Hampton) and the Holiday Inns have always been good for us when we have stayed there.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

This month (march) they have some really good deals going on for rates etc., since it's off season.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote