Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #181
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Walking Dead Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
I love the suspenseful and horror aspects of the show, but the drama side that brings up questions about society are what puts it over the top in my opinion
I agree to a point, I don't mind the focus on society and the downfall of economics as a whole, I just think they have gone to far into personal relationships in an attempt to develop the characters. I just don't like the love triangle and the searching for a missing girl for three episodes. I really love the show don't get me wrong, I just like the horror/action to be split with drama more like 50-50 than the current 20-80 it feels like now.
Sometimes I get the feeling they wrote one season and are stretching it out over three.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #182
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I agree to a point, I don't mind the focus on society and the downfall of economics as a whole, I just think they have gone to far into personal relationships in an attempt to develop the characters. I just don't like the love triangle and the searching for a missing girl for three episodes. I really love the show don't get me wrong, I just like the horror/action to be split with drama more like 50-50 than the current 20-80 it feels like now.
Sometimes I get the feeling they wrote one season and are stretching it out over three.
I definitely agree about the missing girl, I don't care if she's in a million pieces in the woods at this point. Overall, I'll take 60-40 drama over horror/action
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #183
kickerb

Quote:
How can you accurately depict a small society/group as a whole without first understanding the characters and their relationship with each other.

Sophia is very important to the flow right now. It brings in that "hope" factor. These people need to have some kind of hope, something to keep them fighting and progressing. Right now they still have hope in finding her, but if they don't, or Sophia is actually a walker now, think about what that will do to these people.

Everyone complains about love stories, but this show is trying to be as real as possible. In life most people are always searching for connections and relationships with other people, its just the way it is. And quite honestly, the show has hardly touched on the Lori/Shane saga this season, it could be a lot worse.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #184
Powers

Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
How can you accurately depict a small society/group as a whole without first understanding the characters and their relationship with each other.

Sophia is very important to the flow right now. It brings in that "hope" factor. These people need to have some kind of hope, something to keep them fighting and progressing. Right now they still have hope in finding her, but if they don't, or Sophia is actually a walker now, think about what that will do to these people.

Everyone complains about love stories, but this show is trying to be as real as possible. In life most people are always searching for connections and relationships with other people, its just the way it is. And quite honestly, the show has hardly touched on the Lori/Shane saga this season, it could be a lot worse.
Good points

(even for an FSU fan )
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #185
kickerb

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #186
kickerb

I think it would be interesting to see if the group decides to stay united to find Sophia, or will they be split. Some may just decide they don't care about finding her anymore, and go back to simply worrying about themselves. Could make for some really tense scenes. We could see the group literally split and go different ways. So much to look forward this Sunday.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #187
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I don't mind opening cans of worms, I do it daily here, but I was mis-understood on my point about blablabla,
same old thing, the shows end badly. What I mean is "Hurry, there's only SECONDS to GO! Everyone gets out of
the CDC and it's "GET DOWN!!" Kaboom................weak..........This is why I said I KNOW it's hard to end a
show, I am no writer, and I don't envy their every word being picked over by likers and haters. But my Dad used
to get SO MAD about the bomb timer ticking down. He said "You never see the bomb timer ticking down to a
minute-twenty and it gets de-fused. Always has to be 1 or 2 seconds.

But yeah, I thought Otis' lines were prettly lame in the end, at the cdc, he was all "if you aren't coming, then
I am staying. You can't just let someone care for you and then give up like this"...

And with that I will stop jacking the season two thread with season 1 gripes.

((But what he SHOULDA said was "Uh-uh, NO....you and me got's to get to re-populatin this bi+ch, honey,
Git you honey-blond sweet a55 up and OUT of this ticking time bomb."))

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #188
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

As to current plot items, I have not seen it yet, but I think that once they were in the CDC and realized that
they are alone not just in their little microcosm, but globally, searching for that little girl becomes more than
just, "oops, lost another one..." They need to make the effort I think, just to stay sane.

But as for splitting up, that's a good bet, since parallel action takes up more time and allows for more intricate
plotlines that serve the producer's needs to sqeeze life out of what will end up being a pretty thin storyline if
they go into 3-4 seasons.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #189
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
But as for splitting up, that's a good bet, since parallel action takes up more time and allows for more intricate
plotlines that serve the producer's needs to sqeeze life out of what will end up being a pretty thin storyline if
they go into 3-4 seasons.
You have got to be kidding. There are SO many things they can do with this show! How can you make that assumption without even seeing an episode of season 2?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #190
OLS
Suck It

Hahaha, there it is, the exposed nerve. Look, I've been in television for 25 years.
I am just assuming that your best effort leads off, and at some time in the future,
people are going to get about enough of running from zombies. Your fourth slice of
pizza is no less tasty, it just TASTES less tasty to YOU after the previous 3. There
is a zombie glut going on in this world these past few years, and it's gonna play to the
detriment of this show eventually. GRANTED, they can replenish the characters endlessly
by just stumbling upon new people cowering in various locations throughout the south, but
after a while, it's gonna be been there, did that, what's next. You'll see.
-----------
OK, let me play this out for you another way. One of the best things about this show,
for me, through 6 episodes, is the SHOCK value of A.) the camera placements, i.e., how you
get to view the bashing skull, and B.) just the shock in general. Best shot for me thru 6
is the first show, black guy out in the street (Morgan?) is on his way, running up to Rick,
and just off-handedly reaches out an puts a bullet in the walker's head that's heading towards Rick.
It was just SO matter of fact, so clean, so wild to see. But eventually that type of shock
wears off. This show is unique in that there is so little actual drag-leg zombie scuffling.
They set you up with a camera angle that would normally have you saying "Here we go", but
in the end it's just a shot. I am not saying I want more dialogue, but I like that there is enough
horror just in the overall gravity of the sitcho and the emptiness of the world they live in.
I like it for what it ISN'T trying to do. SO that saves back some shock value for later, but it's
not a bottomless well.

Last edited by OLS; 11-04-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #191
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Brad - pizza is never less tasty
Old 11-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #192
kickerb

haha, yeah i don't agree with anything in that last post OLS, especially the pizza part

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #193
OLS
Suck It

And last but not least, haha, I am NOT going to let this show LOST my a55.
When it gets ridiculous and it's just a matter of who gets chewed on this week,
I will just stop seeking it out.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #194
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

I love this show, sure I want more of the action and less mushy. Sure was surprised the Sheriffs friend killed the farmer though.

I am a nut though anything newer sci fi or apocalyptic I tend to like. Beats Vampire Diaries where the whole town is a 18 year old fake like vampire and they all happen to be good enough looking to be in Playboy. Give me some real, throw in some ugly people please!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #195
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post

I understand what you are saying and I agree, but I think they are stretching the personal connections out. Really it is my problem personally because I have a short attention span. My wish for the show is based on my personal prefernces and not everybody elses point of view. I need action to keep me interested. I like violence in movies and TV and love seeing gore. When this show does gore, they do it right. This show requires the viewer watch every episode to have any clue as to what is going on so I guess that is good. It isn't a sitcom, but give me more bite (some pun intended)! It could be alot worse you are right, I need to stay focused on the positives And there are a lot of positives!

This thread is so confusing for me because my name is Shane, I have thought many people where talking about me first then realized they are talking about the character.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #196
w squared

I'm glad that Shane put a bullet in Otis - it opens a pile of new character questions...

...did Shane really think that Rick was dead? Or did he say it because he wanted Lori and thus wanted to believe it?

...does Shane's plan to leave the group really hinge on removing tension, or does he have a darker motive?

...did Shane shoot Otis as an act of self-preservation? As retribution for Otis shooting Carl? Because he determined that Otis' life was expendable when compared with Carl's?

...who will find out about Shane shooting Otis? What will the result be?

I like the character-driven aspect of the show....but I would certainly be happy if there was a little more Zombie slay'in thrown in for good measure.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #197
Resipsa

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and I agree, but I think they are stretching the personal connections out. Really it is my problem personally because I have a short attention span. My wish for the show is based on my personal prefernces and not everybody elses point of view. I need action to keep me interested. I like violence in movies and TV and love seeing gore. When this show does gore, they do it right. This show requires the viewer watch every episode to have any clue as to what is going on so I guess that is good. It isn't a sitcom, but give me more bite (some pun intended)! It could be alot worse you are right, I need to stay focused on the positives And there are a lot of positives!

This thread is so confusing for me because my name is Shane, I have thought many people where talking about me first then realized they are talking about the character.
the problem with your logic is that this is a tv show, not a movie.

If they did the show the way you suggest, all it would be is Night of the Living Dead.....over and over and over and over again every week. I love horror, but very few people would tune in for that, not even me. Gets pretty old,,pretty quick.

People watch for the character development, they want to become interested in the people lives, that's the very thing that makes a tv show successful.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #198
Powers

Bolivar

Glenn got him a Georgia peach
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #199
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
Glenn got him a Georgia peach
Ow oww!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #200
w squared

I still have to wait for it to torrent - I probably won't get to watch it until tomorrow night.

Closed Thread