Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #1141
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFool View Post
I'm still pretty new to cigars, but I've noticed that some cigars don't really get an ember. The end will burn, and you can smoke them, but there's no ember. What's going on here? I think I've also been noticing that these cigars will go out much more easily and don't tend to taste as good. Am I doing something wrong, what is this?
I might be reading this wrong, but...

when you say ember, do you mean like a cigarette cherry? If you expect the end of a cigar to stay bright red, keeping the cigar lit (or do we say lighted instead of lit?) without puffing, it just ain't gonna happen. Handmade cigars are packed too tightly, unlike cigarettes and machine made cigars which are relatively loosely packed - kinda like burning a tightly rolled newspaper vs. a loose page. If I am off the mark, please ignore.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #1142
sparkboss

whats one of the best or easiest ways (other than smoking countless cigars) to warm my taste buds up to the minute tastes in a cigar?

i've been smoking for a few months and i can pick up a few of the little tastes in a cigar but havent been able to distinguish some key tastes in different types of cigars.

and lastly, would it help to get into some lighter cigars for a start?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #1143
TheFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Too wet. I TRY to let mine sit in the humi for a while.....doesn't always work out that way though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I agree that it sound like they are too wet. At what rh% do you keep your cigars?
I tend to keep them between 65 and 70 give or take a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4001 View Post
I might be reading this wrong, but...

when you say ember, do you mean like a cigarette cherry? If you expect the end of a cigar to stay bright red, keeping the cigar lit (or do we say lighted instead of lit?) without puffing, it just ain't gonna happen. Handmade cigars are packed too tightly, unlike cigarettes and machine made cigars which are relatively loosely packed - kinda like burning a tightly rolled newspaper vs. a loose page. If I am off the mark, please ignore.
I understand that I need to keep puffing a cigar to keep it lit (i think it's lit), but my problem is with the initial lighting. Sometimes I find that my cigars don't get a cherry at all. Instead the foot get a bit black, and turns to ash (without a cherry) I can smoke the whole cigar like this, but it seems strange.

Seems like people are saying they are too wet, I'll look into dropping the RH to arounf 60? and maybe dry boxing my cigars if I can.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #1144
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Cigars usually won't have an ember, that black that turns to ash is normal. Sometimes when you ash falls of and you are taking a puff they will glow a bit.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #1145
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkboss View Post
whats one of the best or easiest ways (other than smoking countless cigars) to warm my taste buds up to the minute tastes in a cigar?

i've been smoking for a few months and i can pick up a few of the little tastes in a cigar but havent been able to distinguish some key tastes in different types of cigars.

The way I look at it, this hobby is about enjoying yourself and the cigars, being able to name every nuance of flavor is not requisite to that enjoyment. Not being able to describe the taste in exacting terms doesn't mean that you can't/don't enjoy the cigar as much as someone who might be able to name the nuances. Eventually being able to pick out the flavors will come in time, just smoke cigars you enjoy and don't worry about it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #1146
TheFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Cigars usually won't have an ember, that black that turns to ash is normal. Sometimes when you ash falls of and you are taking a puff they will glow a bit.
Hmm interesting. I was curious because I've noticed such a difference. Some cigars get this very nice ember at the end (which get hidden by ash, but is still there) while other don't have it at all. Just made me wonder I guess.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #1147
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The way I look at it, this hobby is about enjoying yourself and the cigars, being able to name every nuance of flavor is not requisite to that enjoyment. Not being able to describe the taste in exacting terms doesn't mean that you can't/don't enjoy the cigar as much as someone who might be able to name the nuances. Eventually being able to pick out the flavors will come in time, just smoke cigars you enjoy and don't worry about it.
Agreed.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #1148
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I think some of the "experts" go overboard at times: "The initial 64th has a vegetal taste reminiscent of Appalachian moss in early October."
Having said that, you might want to explore pairings. The right drink can bring out flavors. There's several of us that like to pair a maduro with root beer as it complements the flavors very well. For a milder cigar, water might be best so you don't overpower the subtler flavors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #1149
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I worried about that too when I started smoking. Listening to people talk about flavors and all I tasted was---well I wasn't sure!

Like anything, practice makes perfect. The more you smoke, the more your palate will develop.

I don't worry too much about the flavors, or at least identifying them as I smoke, but if you want to help develop your palate, write reviews.

I started doing this and jotting notes down for each cigar. If i tasted a flower, I wrote it down, if I tasted chocolate, I wrote it down. Then post 'em up. And read reviews that you find here. Some of the reviews at other sites and in certain magazines may be skewed to present a certain viewpoint.

Now I wouldn't do this for every cigar. You can search for my reviews here. I also did some for another site as well. But every now and then I would set aside the time to really focus on the cigar and what it tasted like. I read other reviews to see if it was a common taste.

You'll find you'll be tasting that "vegetal taste reminiscent of Appalachian moss in early October", in no time.

Keep in mind, if you have never experienced a flavor, it will be hard to identify it. I kept hearing cigars that had a leather taste. Couldn't figure it out until someone described the flavor as "chewing on a ball glove in left field". While not appetizing, it gave me a reference point.

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #1150
Miket156

Smile Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Obviously, cigars from different companies taste different, as well as cigars from the same company. Me, I'm a simple guy, I want a cigar that has a solid tobacco taste. I wouldn't get a rise out of "vegetal taste reminiscent of Appalachian moss in early October".

I do buy cigars that have a different taste than some of my regular favorites. Example, I recently bought some Montecristo Platinum Churchills so I would have something a little lighter than most of my smokes. I sensed a bit of a nut flavor as well as a "woody" after taste. Very pleasant and completely different than that La Flor Dominicana Double Ligeros I smoke all the time.

Its good to try different things, that's what makes cigar smoking so enjoyable. So, I encourage you to try different cigars as time goes on too.

Cheers,

Mike T.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #1151
sparkboss

very helpful information guys, i just got a little scared when the taste of the wrapper on an acid cigar tasted just like the wrapper on a completely different category of infused cigar, as well as the smoke. thanks guys
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #1152
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
very helpful information guys, i just got a little scared when the taste of the wrapper on an acid cigar tasted just like the wrapper on a completely different category of infused cigar, as well as the smoke. thanks guys
it's always good to separate the flavors from the non-flavored.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #1153
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I think some of the "experts" go overboard at times: "The initial 64th has a vegetal taste reminiscent of Appalachian moss in early October."
My favorites are when someone describes the cigar of having a hint of a manure taste then ends the review by saying they liked it and would purchase again.

hmmmm.... I think my tastes are a little different than theirs.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #1154
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Let's try and keep this thread to Q&A and resist the temptation for commentary.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #1155
Miket156

Smile Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
by pnoon:

Let's try and keep this thread to Q&A and resist the temptation for commentary.
Why? Sparkboss just commented on how helpful the answers he is getting were to him. Yes and no answers to questions don't help much.

Cheers,

Mike T.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #1156
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miket156 View Post
Why? Sparkboss just commented on how helpful the answers he is getting were to him. Yes and no answers to questions don't help much.

Cheers,

Mike T.
Why?
I made the suggestion because I have seen many a useful thread devolve into useless banter and clutter. I don't want that to happen with this one. The post was meant to make folks think before posting.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #1157
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

So I have 2 questions.

1. I had a cigar today which I think was plugged. It was hard to draw and I got barely any smoke at all. I understand the concept of plugged, what I don't understand is why after 5-10 seconds of sucking for all I was worth the smoke started to billow out the wrong end... Was this cigar plugged or something else going on?

2. I bought a couple humidors (one for flavored, one for unflavored) and I am in the process of seasoning them. I read that I should wrap the Hygrometers in a wet cloth for 5 minutes and then adjust them to read 95-100. Sounds easy enough. But when I put them in the wet cloth they only get up to 85, which makes sense, but they both get to 85, they are different hygrometers, from different manufacturers, and they both read the same thing (85) when wrapped in the cloth. They also both read about 65 when I just leave them on the counter. Do I need to adjust them and just figure they both came from different companies with the exact same degree of inaccuracy? Or is the 95-100 just bad information?
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #1158
Trent0341
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dan
Trading: (7)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Trent0341 is on a distinguished road

Isaiah,
I can't answer your first question. I'm sure there are many on this forum whose knowledge far exceeds mine that can give it a go.

As far as your second question I'm not familiar with that form of calibrating your hygrometer (and it seems fairly inaccurate) but I'd search on this forum for how to do a salt test. That or use a boveda pack.

Good luck in your seasoning. The most important thing I can tell you is don't rush it. And from one noob to another head on over to the new inmate area and introduce yourself;-)
Trent0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #1159
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
So I have 2 questions.

1. I had a cigar today which I think was plugged. It was hard to draw and I got barely any smoke at all. I understand the concept of plugged, what I don't understand is why after 5-10 seconds of sucking for all I was worth the smoke started to billow out the wrong end... Was this cigar plugged or something else going on? That is the definition of a plugged cigar.

2. I bought a couple humidors (one for flavored, one for unflavored) and I am in the process of seasoning them. I read that I should wrap the Hygrometers in a wet cloth for 5 minutes and then adjust them to read 95-100. Sounds easy enough. But when I put them in the wet cloth they only get up to 85, which makes sense, but they both get to 85, they are different hygrometers, from different manufacturers, and they both read the same thing (85) when wrapped in the cloth. They also both read about 65 when I just leave them on the counter. Do I need to adjust them and just figure they both came from different companies with the exact same degree of inaccuracy? Or is the 95-100 just bad information?
Here is a sticky on calibrating your hygrometer. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=619
and seasoning. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #1160
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

What humidity level are your storing your cigars in?

What humidifier are you currently using?

Is this a fairly new humidor or one that's been in use for some time?

What are the interior dimensions of your humidor?

How often do you open and close your humidor?

Have you added new cigars recently?

To troubleshoot, I would suggest doing a proper hygrometer calibration (including replacing the batteries if they are digital).

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote