Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Tombstone

Default P90X Workout

Hello Inmates, I just purchased P90X for the wife and myself. We are both in good shape but are looking to get more ripped up. What is everyone's thoughts on P90X? Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: P90X Workout

here is something extra you can try if you want to...
http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
here is something extra you can try if you want to...
http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test
Cool, i wish i had somewhere to do those swimming exercises.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Tombstone

I am surprised that there are not that many hits on this thread. The P90X infomercial made the product very appealing.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
phidelt076
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
phidelt076 is on a distinguished road

I haven't tried this yet but I have ordered the set with the chinup bar and resistance bands.

I have hit the gym on and off in the past and haven't had too much trouble losing weight when needed. What I haven't done well is come up with a complete program for myself for a total body workout. I think this led to my minor back injury a couple of years ago.

I have read great reviews from pretty much every site I can find them on. Even the body building forums have some great reviews on this system as a way to get cut and toned.

I will be changing jobs in April of next year due to the sale of my current company. I'm hoping to get in better shape but more importantly raise my energy levels headed into my job hunt. Feeling like a million bucks heading into an interview sure can't hurt.

I imagine like any type of fitness plan the majority of you success will be in the food part of the plan. I have had success in the past with this by preparing meals plenty in advance. Boiled eggs a carton at a time, family packs of chicken grilled on Sunday's, etc. That way when life happens and you're in a rush, it's more convenient to grab your previously packaged lunch over fast food.

I'm looking forward to getting this in!
phidelt076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

We have this and it kicks our ass. My 15 year old baseball stud swears by it, though. It got him ripped, increased his core strength, and added pounds of muscle where he needed it to improve his bat speed. My wife loves the toning routine, and the "muscle mass" routine is pretty effective. None of us really enjoy it , but the program works. The food plan is not that tough--we normally eat pretty healthy anyway.

I had to take the last 6 months off from working out due to an injury (I'm old, what can I say...?) but looking forward--well, not really "looking forward", more like "anxiously awaiting"--the opportunity to start the 90 days again in January.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Tombstone

My wife and i are starting the workouts and nutrition guide January the 5th. We are pumped but are not looking forward to the strictly regulated eating suggestions.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

I have that system and plan on hitting it up in the new year. My recommendation is (and what I'm currently doing) getting into workout shape. What I mean is getting your body used to cardio & strength-training. If you just start these systems; you WILL be sore. I made that mistake a while back and had to stop (yes, I was out of shape). My muscles were aching so bad I couldn't do the movements like I needed to.

It is a great system that will really kick you a**. Best of luck. We should start our own P90 thread! I think I'll fire that up start of the year. No pics until the end though.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcue View Post
I have that system and plan on hitting it up in the new year. My recommendation is (and what I'm currently doing) getting into workout shape. What I mean is getting your body used to cardio & strength-training. If you just start these systems; you WILL be sore. I made that mistake a while back and had to stop (yes, I was out of shape). My muscles were aching so bad I couldn't do the movements like I needed to.

It is a great system that will really kick you a**. Best of luck. We should start our own P90 thread! I think I'll fire that up start of the year. No pics until the end though.
I am in pretty good shape but i know i will be sore because it is something different. Great idea about the P90 thread. Before and after pictures
Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Shouldn't you have asked that question before you bought it. (not just a grim, but a sh@t eating grin)

I didn't know what this was so I had to go out and look it up. Anything that can get people up and moving and making improvements is a good thing. With that said I do have my own little reservations about it, but hard to be critical without personal knowledge of the program. I'd really be interested in seeing the exercises in the plan. Are there big movements? What plyos do they use? Is there stability ab work?

TS, PM coming your way.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

i am just about to start my own thread with it will be starting soon

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Tombstone

Started the p90X workouts Monday. They are intense if you push yourself. The diet is the hardest part though.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
phidelt076
Still Watching My Back

phidelt076 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Started the p90X workouts Monday. They are intense if you push yourself. The diet is the hardest part though.
I ordered mine on Dec-11th and I am still waiting on it. There was a shipping error but hopefully I'll have it early next week.

I've been hitting some light weights at home just to get through all of the initial soreness of getting active again. I'm fully expecting this to kick my butt!

I'll post in here as I get going on the program and give my thoughts.
phidelt076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

I'm starting it as soon as my ipod is done charging since it's on my itouch
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
ucubed
Corona Cigars

ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

I won't be doing their diet...Diets never really worked for me, however I did day 1 of p90x (I'm doing doubles, not the classic or lean) and it was very tough. I thought it was going to be a weak sort of thing...but I haven't felt like this since High school Swimming and Lacrosse seasons
Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I wouldn't recommend doing the doubles to start with. I know you are a youngin, but after a couple weeks of even the regular program you will be hunting for energy throughout the day just to do one workout.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

As far as my experience doing it...

I didn't finish the first time for a few reasons (stupid excuses). I got pretty sick during at the end of phase two, was out of town for a couple weeks, then Christmas season, then out of town for Christmas and now I have a knee problem I need to heal.

I also made the mistake of not following the diet plan. The diet plan really IS key. Especially if you want to burn fat, but also you need the diet plan for the extra energy it'll give you.

It will make you sore, almost regardless of the shape you are in. When it switches phases, you will get just as sore as you did the first day again. You will get noticeably stronger for the relatively short time frame. The size will come more slowly, but the strength you will notice by the end of phase one, and then it really packs it on in phase two. Obviously I can't comment on phase three or the finish, but I have no doubts it would have been awesome.

Do the yoga, it actually helps and I could tell a difference from the couple weeks I skipped it. I skipped the first yoga of phase two because my arms were just too sore from the biceps and back workout.

Do the stretching most of the weeks. Yes, it sucks that you have an hour video on your day off, but the stretching does help.

Get plenty of sleep. I failed in this regard.

I wouldn't recommend doing much else physically exerting during the program (except married people stuff). I played in my weekly basketball game we have. I made my rest day fall on it but really I should have been resting. I'll probably make that mistake again a few times when I do it again, but I will skip basketball more than not next time.

Kenpo is fun, but kind of stupid feeling as well. I took tae kwon do when I was younger and the kenpo just seemed childish after that. It's as good of an aerobic workout as you make it, but it gets old after a few times. I think I'll make basketball fall on kenpo day next time so I can replace it if I want and still have a rest day.

Lastly, Plyometrics will destroy you. You'll hate it every time you do it, but you'll also like it because it is the best aerobic workout in the program and you'll be just exhausted afterwards.

I definitely recommend the program, but with the warning that it is a BIG commitment.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
ucubed
Corona Cigars

Enh we'll see what happens with the doubles since it does not get different until week 5. It'll mostly depend on my final class schedule and if I'll have time for the AM to do it. I've set a goal for losing 10 more pounds of fat by Spring break. This previous fall I'm down 25lbs as it is. I don't plan on skipping any of them since I've done yoga before and I always stretch before I do anything physical no matter what.

I'm not entirely worried for doing doubles or searching for energy. If it was anything like the energy consumption of swimming I think I will be ok. Thanks for the review though. Didn't mean to steal the thread =P
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Tombstone

It's all about the diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
As far as my experience doing it...

I didn't finish the first time for a few reasons (stupid excuses). I got pretty sick during at the end of phase two, was out of town for a couple weeks, then Christmas season, then out of town for Christmas and now I have a knee problem I need to heal.

I also made the mistake of not following the diet plan. The diet plan really IS key. Especially if you want to burn fat, but also you need the diet plan for the extra energy it'll give you.

It will make you sore, almost regardless of the shape you are in. When it switches phases, you will get just as sore as you did the first day again. You will get noticeably stronger for the relatively short time frame. The size will come more slowly, but the strength you will notice by the end of phase one, and then it really packs it on in phase two. Obviously I can't comment on phase three or the finish, but I have no doubts it would have been awesome.

Do the yoga, it actually helps and I could tell a difference from the couple weeks I skipped it. I skipped the first yoga of phase two because my arms were just too sore from the biceps and back workout.

Do the stretching most of the weeks. Yes, it sucks that you have an hour video on your day off, but the stretching does help.

Get plenty of sleep. I failed in this regard.

I wouldn't recommend doing much else physically exerting during the program (except married people stuff). I played in my weekly basketball game we have. I made my rest day fall on it but really I should have been resting. I'll probably make that mistake again a few times when I do it again, but I will skip basketball more than not next time.

Kenpo is fun, but kind of stupid feeling as well. I took tae kwon do when I was younger and the kenpo just seemed childish after that. It's as good of an aerobic workout as you make it, but it gets old after a few times. I think I'll make basketball fall on kenpo day next time so I can replace it if I want and still have a rest day.

Lastly, Plyometrics will destroy you. You'll hate it every time you do it, but you'll also like it because it is the best aerobic workout in the program and you'll be just exhausted afterwards.

I definitely recommend the program, but with the warning that it is a BIG commitment.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
I won't be doing their diet...Diets never really worked for me,
No workout will trump a crappy diet. Eating right is key to effective fat loss, muscle growth, recovery, and energy levels.

Good luck to you guys running the program.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote