Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #61
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The journey from 260 to....

Well done, my man. I knew you'd do it.
You're gonna pass me up. Slow down a little, will ya?
How bout you catch me at 195 and we'll race to 185? I'll even bet you five bucks to make it interesting.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #62
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Great job!

All us skinny people at Shack this year means we can fit more onto the jetty!

Down almost 50 myself since last year.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #63
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Well done, my man. I knew you'd do it.
You're gonna pass me up. Slow down a little, will ya?
How bout you catch me at 195 and we'll race to 185? I'll even bet you five bucks to make it interesting.
Not gonna happen. 195 is my self imposed lower limit. (ok maybe 190) Thinking it's a "healthy weight" for me. Based upon BMI, Body fat etc, my theoretical low is around 182-185 but that is with a 4% body fat, not sustainable or healthy for the non-athlete, grandfather that I am.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #64
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Not gonna happen. 195 is my self imposed lower limit. (ok maybe 190) Thinking it's a "healthy weight" for me. Based upon BMI, Body fat etc, my theoretical low is around 182-185 but that is with a 4% body fat, not sustainable or healthy for the non-athlete, grandfather that I am.
I have no idea what my theoretical low is, I only understood about half the words you said. I was 185 for lots of years before I got fat and I wrestled 165 in 7th grade, so I figured around 175 for an old guy?
How does one figure out what they "should" weigh?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #65
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I have no idea what my theoretical low is, I only understood about half the words you said. I was 185 for lots of years before I got fat and I wrestled 165 in 7th grade, so I figured around 175 for an old guy?
How does one figure out what they "should" weigh?
Remember to add the 10 pounds of undigested red meat in your colon to the numbers.

The Published BMI tools are out there. Most of them are BS as they dont take into account different "body types", muscle mass etc.

I was a swimmer in HS. 185 pounds and you had to look for any fat.. probably in the 8-11%% of body fat range.

College got in the 200 pound range without the "fitness" associated with my prior good habits. Probably moved into the 22-24% range.

Without getting out the calipers or going in for a rigorous test... this is a fairly good tool you can use with just a tape measure to calculate your body fat % which is different than your BMI:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

It's not perfect but gives you a sense of things. Says I'm at 17.2 but in reality I'm a little lower than that based upon body type, muscle mass etc.

I tend to agree with this overall view:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-f...-fat-chart.php

Feeling pretty fit and losing another 5 lbs put me in the middle of the range so it makes sense based upon my experience. The simple height and weight calculators out there are wacked.

The other sources that use the height weight formula to calculate BMI but tend to want you to be a skeleton before they consider you healthy and it's just not realistic.

It's helpful to find out your BMR (Basic metabolic rate) and then use the Harris Benedict Equation to figure out your basic calorie needs. It's an eye opener but explains why you lose or gain weight based upon activity and calorie consumption.

But... have found that for me, an hour a day of cardio + 1000-1300 calories is the formula for rapid weight loss. Less cardio - less loss, more calories less loss. Have sdjusted the cardio up to this point over the past 110 days and the calories down over that time from 2500 to current levels.

Last edited by Da Klugs; 07-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #66
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I know one thing, I only see you once a year, and the last time I saw you was STARK change for the better.
I was muy impressed. Wish I could say I took that as motivation, but I am bigger than ever. Good thing about
the shack though, there's always somebody bigger than me.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #67
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Hallies boyfriends family came to town from NH. Spent 4 days with us at the shack. Ate and drank .... way to much. Came back and the tale of the scale was ugly... 206. Been working on it for a couple days. Back to 202 this morning.

The folks at Zoup must be missing me by now been almost a week. On the good news front my morning push-ups are now one set of 150 vs the break after a 100. Feeling stronger and looking leaner. It's just much harder to lose weight now.

195 is going to be the end point for this. 2 more weeks and then maintenance mode. Whatever that means.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #68
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
2 more weeks and then maintenance mode. Whatever that means.
That's what I'm waiting to hear about. I have no clue how that part works.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #69
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing - as many have said it is motivating and makes me proud to see your results. What it makes me realize is that I need to up the cardio and push-ups to get down to 240 on my way to 220.
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #70
Hippiebrian

Congrats! I've been on a slow weight loss ride since the heart attack a couple years ago. Not quite as good at it as you have been, but have dropped 50 lbs slowly just replacing driving with riding my bike.

Keep it up, man, I see good things!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #71
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

congratz Dave, great job.........wish I could walk, but my injuries make to hard to exercise.....but I try to watch what I eat, was 198 when I returned from Afghanistan and went up to a high of 231 now down to 224 and holding

will see the new you in 21 days
Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #72
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Thanks for sharing - as many have said it is motivating and makes me proud to see your results. What it makes me realize is that I need to up the cardio and push-ups to get down to 240 on my way to 220.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup.... and radical reductions in calories. Gotta do it all or it just doesnt work, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
Congrats! I've been on a slow weight loss ride since the heart attack a couple years ago. Not quite as good at it as you have been, but have dropped 50 lbs slowly just replacing driving with riding my bike.

Keep it up, man, I see good things!
Good on ya! Slow is much better way to go than the crash progarm I have been on. It's hard and hard on you. My experience with this has led me to lifestyle changes regarding eating and exercise that I hope will stick with me when the drive to lose is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt View Post
congratz Dave, great job.........wish I could walk, but my injuries make to hard to exercise.....but I try to watch what I eat, was 198 when I returned from Afghanistan and went up to a high of 231 now down to 224 and holding

will see the new you in 21 days
There are infinite ways to exercise that can help. Just tightening your butt muscles a few hundred times a day burns significant calories. 12 pound hand weights. Leg lifts, etc. It comes down to choices. If you choose to do what you can to achieve a goal and actually stick with doing those things consistently over a long enough period, it will happen.

Hit it hard last night with the usual routine plus swam with Jane for a half hour. Got back to 200.1 this morning after doing a morning trip on the Airdyne for the first time. Maybe going to 2 a days is what I need to get to the end point of this.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #73
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

It's Deja Vu all over again. 199.9 this morning after a morning workout. Probably more of a real weight this time vs a week ago when I hit the same number. Ate well last night so its not a stretch like last week was.

Definitely much harder to move lower from here than it has been. Keep hitting plateaus that are tough, tough tough to break through. Hoping it was just my zeal last week to push to a number now reflected in a more normal weight.

Yesterday started doing the cardio in the morning as well as at night. Almost 2 hours a day. Going to try this for the last couple of weeks of my journey of weight loss to see where I can end up. Still think 195 or a bit lower is attainable just not sure it's a weight I can stay at given what it takes to get and stay there.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #74
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's Deja Vu all over again. 199.9 this morning after a morning workout. Probably more of a real weight this time vs a week ago when I hit the same number. Ate well last night so its not a stretch like last week was.

Definitely much harder to move lower from here than it has been. Keep hitting plateaus that are tough, tough tough to break through. Hoping it was just my zeal last week to push to a number now reflected in a more normal weight.

Yesterday started doing the cardio in the morning as well as at night. Almost 2 hours a day. Going to try this for the last couple of weeks of my journey of weight loss to see where I can end up. Still think 195 or a bit lower is attainable just not sure it's a weight I can stay at given what it takes to get and stay there.

I've been stuck in the 195 area for about 6 weeks now. Keep pushing!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #75
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:

Just keep doing healthy stuff, Pap. I've stalled around 193, it seems. I hit it before much like you explained your brush with 199.9. I went back up to around 198 and came down slowly to this again, without effort.
I think you're taller than me, so we both might have hit rock bottom for our ages. I hope not, I'd like to get rid of the rest of this gut first.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #76
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Jumped on the scale post... err um expulsion, pre lunch 198.

Looked over the stats and realized I have been trying to push the numbers.

Weight loss by month:

April - 20
May - 10
June -15
July - 17 so far. (been trying for 20 by Aug 5th.)

Need to stop obsessing about this. Unfortunately I am who I am.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #77
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I assume you plan to keep up with the cardio work even after your final goal is met, Dave? Good for the heart, ya know.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #78
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I assume you plan to keep up with the cardio work even after your final goal is met, Dave? Good for the heart, ya know.
I hope so. Been hitting things lately at a level that 4 months ago would have killed me. Need to find a calorie and exercise balance that is sustainable... but not just yet.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #79
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Friday worked out before leaving for the lake. 197.8 after workout the new low point. Walked the island 2x on sat and sunday morning. Came home last night dreading the scale. After working out... 199.5. This morning post AM ride... 198.5. This is the lowest I have started out a week at. Feeling pretty confident that 195 is within reach by Friday with the "2 a days" and avoiding the strawberry and peach sundaes I ate over the weekend. Friday marks 4 months of this crazy weight loss process. need to decide if that ends the manic "loss" program or if there is room and/or inclination to go lower.

I don't feel thin. Feeling fitter but not necessarily thinner. Does weight loss turun you into a 16 year old girl?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #80
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Just by the look of your face in the most recent pick it is obvious you are thinner, Dave.

I can't comment on 16 year old girls in any fashion per my probation officer.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote