Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Graycliff G2

Are these usually any good? I had one tonight when I pulled the cello off the cigar foot had maybe quarter inch holes in it? Two of them....and it tasted like a dog rocket. Did I get a bad stick or are these just not very good?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation
Default Re: Graycliff G2

I'd try to smoke another Bill, hole-less, and see what you think.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quarter inch holes? Wow... haven't heard that one.

I love the Graycliff G2 Turbos... haven't had the G2 yet tho.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'll have to find a time to smoke another...Today will be some random tat, tomorrow frank. Gotta have some better luck than yesterday
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Sure it aint the dreaded beetle? I think these are a AJF blend, no?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Well now there were no holes in the outside of the cigar....just two gaping craters in the foot. It's wrapped in cello so I don't have to worry about the other sticks.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I thought beetles could chew through cello...
Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Well now there were no holes in the outside of the cigar....just two gaping craters in the foot. It's wrapped in cello so I don't have to worry about the other sticks.
I'm assuming the holes were into the foot, like down the length of the cigar? If so, sounds like a bad roll to me. I've had some over the years that look fine, but develop tube-like holes after burning for various lengths of time. Usually these will feel soft and less full of tobacco when mashed.

Never seen a beetle hole that big or even close! Most I've seen were pinhead size, and thru the wrapper. Just an FYI; beetles can chew thru cello, so cello isn't insurance against beetle spread. However, the decimation of whole humidors that I've seen has usually been those where all the cello's have been removed. Just making sure you realize that they can go thru cello.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Ah, I don't know how far the holes went as it was dark outside but it was a good half inch in at least. I figured it was a bad roll, just really put a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not sure I can fire up another one for a good while.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Ah, I don't know how far the holes went as it was dark outside but it was a good half inch in at least. I figured it was a bad roll, just really put a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not sure I can fire up another one for a good while.
I can understand that. The mental enjoyment of cigars is as important to me as the tastes! However, take it from one who has given up on a cigar after the first one was a bad experience, give them another try sometime. I almost gave up on several cigars, but was urged by some of the long-time smokers to wait a while, then give them another try! I was wrong on all of them I would have given up on!. Of course, aging can help a lot of issues, even on NCs! I also have found that many times I smoke a stick that is sharp, semi bitter or hot tasting, it is a sign to check my humidity, as the humidity level seems to me to have an effect not only on the burn, but also on the taste. In fact, if it was a really loose roll with tunnels deep enough, you would have been putting a lot more heat inside the cigars than normal, and that would be a very real reason to expect a hotter, harsher taste!

Graycliff's seem to be an acquired taste. Fortunately, I have acquired that taste! And, I've had an "off" Graycliff once or twice, but overall, I'm really pleased with their cigars. And, I gravitate between the Blue, Red and Whites from time to time, though I seem to always come back to the whites (Crystals).

Give them a rest for a couple of months, then retry!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

I have one of these I've been holding onto since cigarfest '09. Smoke this one and let me know how it is, that way I can decide whether to smoke mine or not! Sorry about the holes...
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

I think they are a nice mellow stick with a bit of spice behind the cream. Imho they need a couple months to settle down as they can be a bit rough right off the truck.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Will do, had to smoke a tat today to get yesterdays few awful experiences out of my head. But man was it enjoyable. I believe it was the Tatuaje Black Corona Gorda.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

The G2s are decent. I prefer the Turbos, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote