Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial

Ok, I got this stick in a bomb from SmokeyJoe back in April of this year. Smoked it outside with a cup of coffee and the temp was about 49/50*.

Measuring at 6" and possibly 50/52 (it was a box press) and very dark and marble in coloring. Very hard to the squeeze, no give at all. Pre-light smell was pretty neutral. No massive viens or imperfections with this cigar.

Cut with the ole Palio, the pre-draw was very very firm, not quite what I would call plugged, but very firm. I store mine at 65%,so, I don;t think it was too wet....... It lit up fairly easy. From start to finish the burn was razor sharp, I never picked up the lighter after the light. The draw never got any worse but it never got any better. No noticable tar build up that could have made this stick go bad. The smoke aspect was so-so on the thin side. Closer to a cigarette than a cigar. I prefer cigars that billow out the smoke (like my Gurks do).

The cigar was fairly one demonsional. The flavor never really shifted or moved around very much. There was a very definitive and easy to place taste - sort of like black licorice is easy to recognize, but it wasn't the licorice flavor. I just couldn't put a name to it.... I suck at the flavor part. Someone else may be able to call it better.

Joe, thanks for the smoke. I'd rate it not bad - but not excellant either. The draw really hurt it. I wouldn't buy one but could smoke one if the occasion arose. Sorry no pics, the camera is taking fuzzy pics, I'll be hitting Santa up for a new one
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial

I was gifted a SLR Churchill a while ago, and I thought it was great. Didn't know they were inexpensive, but I determined to try more. I had another one that wasn't nearly as good though. This always happens to me - I smoke a cigar that I think is freakin awesome, but then subsequent ones totally fall on their faces...

Sorry about the draw on yours though :/
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote