Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
kzm007

Default "Sling Blade" in relation to the Southern Gothic genre.

I originally posted this in the "What's the last movie you last watched" thread, but I thought (if the mods allow it) I would rehash my post her and elaborate on it for discussion. I advise only reading this if you have seen the film.

Also discussed as comparisons are 1962's "To Kill A Mockingbird" and 1975's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."

SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT!

Description:
Sling Blade is a 1996 American drama film set in rural Arkansas, written and directed by Billy Bob Thornton, who also stars in the lead role. It tells the story of a mentally impaired man named Karl Childers who is released from a psychiatric hospital where he has lived since killing his mother and her lover when he was 12 years old. He befriends a young boy, begins a friendship with the boy's mother and eventually confronts the mother's abusive boyfriend, as well as his own dark past.

Cast of major or influential characters:
  • Billy Bob Thornton as Karl Childers (the mentally-impaired lead; appears to have autism from what I have read, though this is never addressed in the film).
  • Dwight Yoakam as Doyle Hargraves (Linda's abusive drunk of a boyfriend and the epitome of true stereotypical Southern white-trash).
  • J. T. Walsh as Charles Bushman (A patient in the mental hospital whom we meet in the beginning of the film. Held there for sexual-predatory behaviors, most likely involving murder).
  • John Ritter as Vaughan Cunningham (Linda's manager at the local 5 & 10/dollar-store. A homosexual man who is half-open to the town, though it is unintended by him. Very caring to those around him, especially Linda and Frank, whom he tries to protect from Doyle).
  • Lucas Black as Frank Wheatley (A young boy Karl meets in the beginning of the film and helps tote bags of laundry to his home).
  • Natalie Canerday as Linda Wheatley (Frank's mother who tries to give her son a good life. Tied down to Doyle most likely out of emotional need to feel wanted and accepted, while also being an example of a gentle Southern lady).
  • James Hampton as Jerry Woolridge (The director of the mental institution where Karl has been held for the past thirty years, from 12 to 42. Sees Karl as a good man deep down, and helps him get work upon his release).
  • Robert Duvall as Karl's father (Living in squalor since his wife's murder. He never wanted Karl it seems, as he denies having a son when Karl goes to see him later in the film).

Personally, I felt strong tones to this film in relation to "To Kill A Mockingbird" as well as "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest," to a lesser extent.

Karl could be seen as a bit of a tragic character, damned by circumstances and his environment, but essentially a good person who ultimately tries to do right by the people he cares about, no matter the consequence.

This reflects the tragedy of Tom Robinson in "Mockingbird," as well as the strength of McMurphy (Even Chief to an extent) in "Cuckoo's Nest."
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Sling Blade" in relation to the Southern Gothic genre.

Mmmmmm...I love 'dem taters!!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm. I thought yuse gonner explane it !?!

Interestingly I had a lucas Black sighting the other day, but instead of being one of those
occasions where you see an actor and go, "I KNOW that actor" but can't put your finger on it,
I immediately recognized him as one of the leads in "Legion".

As a thread-jacking aside, I also was REAALLY shocked the other day watching
"The Runaways" and saw Joan Jett getting guitar lessons from THIS GUY.
And man is he old now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oh debbie.jpg (40.2 KB, 351 views)
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

It's been awhile, Kegan, but as I remember it, the film was very Faulkner-esque.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of two better cast movies than Sling Blade and Cuckoo's nest.
If there's a better actor of the two, I'd have to hand it to Billy Bob. His character was as good as any character has ever been played.
I've never seen Mockingbird. I think I started it once and quit.
For some reason, I have a hard time forcing myself to watch pre-'65ish movies. I've never even seen Gone With The Wind, and I don't like watching black and white. I'm missing out on a LOT.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Great movie. Not one I would care to watch again, but great movie. Some great acting as well.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
It's been awhile, Kegan, but as I remember it, the film was very Faulkner-esque.
I see that too. There's a lot of Flannery O'Conner in there as well.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

If ``Forrest Gump'' had been written by William Faulkner, the result might have been something like ``Sling Blade.'' R. Ebert.

Great scenes in this movie. The opening and closing scenes tell you all about Karl. And the Frosty Cream scene is an absolute classic.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
And the Frosty Cream scene is an absolute classic.
"And it's deep too!"
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote