Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kindle or Nook?

I've always wanted the nook... I greatly prefer the way those are laid out. Unfortunately, they aren't free and I'm poor.

I'm sure in a year or so they'll be giving them away, so I can wait (unless I find a silly deal somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath).
Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
I've always wanted the nook... I greatly prefer the way those are laid out. Unfortunately, they aren't free and I'm poor.

I'm sure in a year or so they'll be giving them away, so I can wait (unless I find a silly deal somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath).
Try craigslist. You can get a decent deal from the buyer's remorseful who choose to unload at a loss after only a couple of weeks.

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #23
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I bought a Kindle a year ago and I'm very happy with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
bigdix
Cigarmurai

Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

I-Pad. For sure.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I bought a Kindle a year ago and I'm very happy with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdix View Post
I-Pad. For sure.
The iPad is a fine device for many things -- indoors and normal lighting. The backlit, high-gloss screen makes it impossible to view the screen (or read) outdoors or in any other kind of lighting.

One of the things I really like about the Kindle is the iPhone Kindle app. If I am in the middle of a book and don't have my Kindle with me I can pick the book up on my iPhone right where I left off. The Kindle and iPhone app keep in sync with each other. This still has the same catch as the iPad -- backlighting and high gloss screen make it difficult to read in many places, but I love the app none-the less.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #26
bigdix
Cigarmurai

Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

The iPad is a fine device for many things -- indoors and normal lighting. The backlit, high-gloss screen makes it impossible to view the screen (or read) outdoors or in any other kind of lighting.

One of the things I really like about the Kindle is the iPhone Kindle app. If I am in the middle of a book and don't have my Kindle with me I can pick the book up on my iPhone right where I left off. The Kindle and iPhone app keep in sync with each other. This still has the same catch as the iPad -- backlighting and high gloss screen make it difficult to read in many places, but I love the app none-the less.[/quote]

I stand corrected...and with hindsight, now totally agree!!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #27
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

I knew the Mac freaks would be in here. Hey mac freaks no one asked about the ipad. Simple question Kindle or Nook.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #28
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdix View Post

One of the things I really like about the Kindle is the iPhone Kindle app. If I am in the middle of a book and don't have my Kindle with me I can pick the book up on my iPhone right where I left off. The Kindle and iPhone app keep in sync with each other. This still has the same catch as the iPad -- backlighting and high gloss screen make it difficult to read in many places, but I love the app none-the less.

I have the Nook app on my iDroid!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #29
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
I knew the Mac freaks would be in here. Hey mac freaks no one asked about the ipad. Simple question Kindle or Nook.
I don't fancy your attitude or tone, Mr. Goings.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I don't fancy your attitude or tone, Mr. Goings.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #31
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

I love that you can check out ebooks from the library on the nook. Totally free if you have a library card! Reading one from my library right now!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #32
kzm007

How "page-like" and black/white are is Kindle vs. the Nook; does it actually look like you're reading from paper?

Also, if I have poor AT & T reception in my area, would the Kindle even be worth the investment?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #33
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

I heard B&N is up for sale. I wonder if this will impact the nook?

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #34
kzm007

I wondered the same thing...selling a company to its own CEO I feel sorry for Nook owners if it does affect you all.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #35
kzm007

Question My somewhat-streamlined search criteria for an e-reader.

These are the revised points I would like to address with an e-reader:

Reader should:
  1. - - BE EASY TO USE FOR A LEFT-HANDER !
  2. - Be comfortable to operate one-handed
  3. - Be lightweight and easy to hold for lengths of time while reading, yet still not feel like it's going to blow up from overheating, fall apart due to shoddiness if I push a button, etc.
  4. - Be small enough to carry in a pocket if possible, or at least a bookbag or something, with a screen at least 7" or the rough/exact/measurement of a readable softcover book's page.
  5. - Have a non-gloss finish, which would be nice to prevent fingerprints, but plastic's cheap to manufacture with while balancing a decent sales cost, so I'm not holding my breath.
  6. - Have an ergonomic structure (ties into the above point) with comfortable buttons that are easy to press and access and a comfortable grip in the hand(s).
  7. - Have a realistic-looking page display (black on white) and be easy on the eyes for lengths of time, indoors and out with little to (preferably) no reflective screen glare.
  8. - Utilize e-ink and not any form of back-lit LCD, which causes eyestrain and the aforementioned glaring in bright areas.
  9. - Possess an expandable SD/SDHC memory card slot for adding files.
  10. - Have excellent PDF rendering and re-flow/formatting to the device screen. Most of my books will be in PDF unless someone can verify that converting them would be a good thing for me to do(?) and I would naturally want to maintain the comfort to read the page and neat appearance of the formatted text.
  11. - Allow me the ability to view and play numerous formats easily - including audio files.
  12. - Any plug-ins/ports should be tucked out of the way (i.e NOT on the bottom where cables might lie in my lap, unless I can flip the reader as a lefty and thus move them above or to the side for reading).
  13. - Excellent battery life; these things are made to be portable, I want it to last when it's being transported away from home.
  14. - Allow the battery to be user-replaceable.
  15. - Not be tied to any one mobile carrier; if it is, it should be Verizon, as that's all I have available to me.
  16. - OR, the touch-screen should be responsive and as hassle-free as possible.
  17. - On that note, the ability to annotate and mark text would be nice; maybe with the option to save it for later upload to a PC? That would help me as an English major if I ever need to pull information from a text.
  18. - Internet access for book browsing/sampling (if possible) and purchasing, although if it comes down to it, I'll do it through my PC. I don't really need ANOTHER Internet-capable device and am trying to focus primarily on reading alone.
  19. - A PC client may be helpful, but I don't don't know how badly I'd really need one(?)
  20. - Be no more than $225...and even then, I'm being generous. However, if something's out there with a lot of these features, I may reconsider and go a little higher.

I realize e-readers are emerging seemingly overnight, and maybe my ideal plastic-back doesn't exist exactly as I'd like it, just yet, but a guy can still ask and dream, eh?

Also, I apologize for all of these criteria; I feel like I'm asking for a lot for such a primarily single-task device, but at the same time, I want to get my money's worth just like anyone else, and want to make the most out of my reading, turning it back into the relaxing hobby it used to be for me.

I'm also posting this on Mobile Read, which is an e-reader forum, so that's why there's all the nit-picky details. I tried as best I could to group similar feature request together for simplicity...but nothing's ever simple with me, sadly.

All help is definitely appreciated, and thanks again so much. You guys and gals really make the BOTL a joy for me, and I can't wait to combine the love of the leaf with the joy of the leaflet :SS (so terribly corny lol).

Kegan
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

I didn't read your requirements, but realize this is a niche market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_readers
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote