Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road
Default Caridad Connecticut Toro

First - this is a mild cigar. Those of you who prefer stronger flavor profiles will not like it.

I bought a fiver of these along with fivers of Maroma, Soldad and Arganese Connecticuts from Famous Smoke Shop to see if I wanted to add any of their inexpensive, mild brands to my regular rotation of 5 Vegas Gold, RP Connectuicut and Gurkha Symphony. This is the only one that made the cut. (re: the others- Maroma was just TOO mild, almost tasteless, Soldad was pretty a loose roll resulting in a smoke that got quite hot as it burnt down and the Arganese was too spicy for my tastes)

The construction is first rate with a nice tight roll and decent looking wrapper. Initial light up yielded nice quantities of cool, mild, but not tasteless smoke. Ash was light gray and easily held for 1/2 inch or more when I usually tap it off. This stick stayed nice and cool right to the nub with no bitterness, spicyness or unpleasant aftertaste.
Flavor was typical Dominican mild -slight coffee overtones with a very nice, almost sweet aroma. Flavor built as cigar burnt down, but never really reached medium strength, just stayed pleasant and buttery smooth.

I highly recommend this stick for those of you who prefer their cigars on the mild side or even for those of you who want a nice change of pace from some of the more robust sticks. At $29 for a box of 25 at Famous you really can't go wrong.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Caridad Connecticut Toro

Thanks for the review! I've never really thought about smoking these since I enjoy more medium to full bodied sticks, but it's nice that there are some good inexpensive sticks offered out there!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
ratpack

I bought a box from famous and I was not too impressed
Old 08-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
lou2row

I've bought these also and thoguht they were good for a very mild stick. Nice to have on hand for someone that doesn't smoke cigars much but would like to try one. Great handouts for the golf course, or just enjoy as a morning smoke.

I wonder if the sumatra has more flavor? Should be more toward medium, and hopefully the construction stays good on those as well.

Thanks for the review!