Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Tabacos Baez Monarca

The Cigar: Tabacos Baez Monarca

Nutritional information:
Vitola: 6.5 x 52 toro
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

The marketing:
From CI: Savor the ’softer’ side of Don Pepin. Tabacos Baez is carefully hand-crafted in Nicaragua using a silky Connecticut wrapper that’s dark and oily, combined with a Cuban-seed mixture of aged Nicaraguan long-fillers. Typical Jose ’Don Pepin’ Garcia, right? Wrong. While this cigar does contain that rich, earthy twang, the spice is kept to a minimum, allowing ample creaminess to come forward and complement the rich, coffee-like core. Tabacos Baez is medium in body, but layered with smooth, refined flavors that coat the palate with thick, silky plumes of smoke leaving behind a long, somewhat sweet finish. Naturally, construction and quality is top-notch, as every cigar comes jam-packed with superior tobaccos to present yet another fantastic experience from one of the industry’s hottest makers.

Prelight: This toro seems bigger, particularly in ring, than the published dimensions. It's a well rolled cigar with a very well applied cap. The wrapper is darker than the usual ECT. It's a bit light in the hand for it's size, but not underfilled -- the draw was easy, but it burned at a nice slow rate.

Burn/Construction: Very nice. Despite the seeming light weight, the burn was quite straight (except for the last third, when it needed a touchup) and the ash was firm. The easy draw produced a lot of smoke.

Flavor: There's pepper at the start, but less than in other Pepins. Smoother and creamier, too, with a lighter flavor. There are some hints of cocoa throughout, too, but they're just hints. The pepper is there throughout the smoke -- it's always noticeable if you exhale through the nose -- but it's a mellow smoke, with just a bit of sweetness in the background. I'd call it medium in flavor and strength. Not as creamy and complex as a Cabaiguan, not as dry and peppery as a 601 Black. I recommend it, though, particularly if you can pick it up at the prevailing prices on CBid.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tabacos Baez Monarca

Very nice review Eddie!!!

I'll have to give this one a try!!! I don't always like the pepper of the DPG cigars!!! This one sounds enjoyable!!!

Thank you!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Thanks for the review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
GHC_Hambone

Nice review, I enjoyed the one I tried.