Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #741
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Thanks guys, just posted my first review. I enjoyed the smoking (of course) but I also really enjoyed taking the time to focus on the cigar and what I was tasting and experiencing.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #742
Pass
Puff, Puff...

First Name: Max
Trading: (8)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Pass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andpeo23 View Post
Thanks guys, just posted my first review. I enjoyed the smoking (of course) but I also really enjoyed taking the time to focus on the cigar and what I was tasting and experiencing.
Nice link.... to the "Refining your palate" thread.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #743
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

Haha, wow thanks for noticing that. In my review I link to the "Refining" thread and must have mixed up the two links. My real first review is here.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #744
ujponds
Homer Joe

First Name: Mark
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
ujponds is on a distinguished road

I have a question about Boveda humidity packs. Do you think they are enough on their own for a desktop?
They seem to work pretty well, I like that if I go on a weekend trip I can just put one in a container w/ my sticks.
ujponds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #745
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujponds View Post
I have a question about Boveda humidity packs. Do you think they are enough on their own for a desktop?
They seem to work pretty well, I like that if I go on a weekend trip I can just put one in a container w/ my sticks.
A weekend wont matter one way or another. If your humidor has a decent seal it should last for several weeks without any humidification. Most here use humidity beads, I prefer 65% beads from Heartfelt Industries. 1-2oz's is enough for most 100-150ct humidors, they only need to be recharged once every month or two. Even if your cigars drop to 50-55% for a short time it wont make a big difference in the long run. Cigars are much tougher than most think.

If you have a Boveda pack throwing it in your humidor while you are away will help. What is your main source of humidification? If you using a sponge with PG solution, I would change to beads as soon as possible.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #746
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
I use beads in my coolers and boveda packs in my desktops. No issues. When they get hard, I replace them.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #747
ujponds
Homer Joe

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
A weekend wont matter one way or another. If your humidor has a decent seal it should last for several weeks without any humidification. Most here use humidity beads, I prefer 65% beads from Heartfelt Industries. 1-2oz's is enough for most 100-150ct humidors, they only need to be recharged once every month or two. Even if your cigars drop to 50-55% for a short time it wont make a big difference in the long run. Cigars are much tougher than most think.

If you have a Boveda pack throwing it in your humidor while you are away will help. What is your main source of humidification? If you using a sponge with PG solution, I would change to beads as soon as possible.
The Boveda packs are my main source. I use 4 69% packs, and it stays @ 67%. I have been pretty happy so far (about 6 weeks), I was wondering if there is maybe some downside I did'nt consider.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #748
ujponds
Homer Joe

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I use beads in my coolers and boveda packs in my desktops. No issues. When they get hard, I replace them.
Do you use them like a blanket, off to the sides or attached to the top?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #749
ujponds
Homer Joe

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
Haha, wow thanks for noticing that. In my review I link to the "Refining" thread and must have mixed up the two links. My real first review is here.
Love the avitar! "you wanna roll with The Patroit!?"
Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #750
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Absolutely no reason to throw them away. They say that they cannot be recharged but this is not true. Put the dried out pack in a tupperware container with a small sponge(or piece of a sponge) moistened with distilled water. After 3 or 4 days the Boveda pack should be recharged and ready to use again.

Regarding the disadvantages of only using Boveda packs. They do not absorb moisture as quickly as beads, nor do they have the holding capacity. Boveda packs are a short term solution while beads are long term.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #751
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Absolutely no reason to throw them away. They say that they cannot be recharged but this is not true. Put the dried out pack in a tupperware container with a small sponge(or piece of a sponge) moistened with distilled water. After 3 or 4 days the Boveda pack should be recharged and ready to use again.

Regarding the disadvantages of only using Boveda packs. They do not absorb moisture as quickly as beads, nor do they have the holding capacity. Boveda packs are a short term solution while beads are long term.
Bob is wise.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #752
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

To add to that...

Don't wait until the pack is crunchy or this might not work.

If you catch the pack when it is just getting thin, you're fine and it'll pump back up quickly.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #753
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
I just put a pack up top and a pack down below. I use 70% and that's just about where it stays.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #754
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
Quote:

I never knew that. Thanks Brother. You just saved me some serious cash in the future. Much appreciated.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #755
Hoosierguy

I keep having to re-light my cigar. Does this have something to do with the cigar itself or with how I'm lighting it? I've watched countless videos on how to light a cigar and think I'm doing it correctly.

Please advise this newbie!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #756
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

So I'm heading down to Key West for my honeymoon and can't wait to get some of the cigars down there. I'm hearing there are a bunch of places that roll them right in front of you.
My question is, do you have to let these "age" or can you smoke them right way? I think that I'd go crazy waiting to smoke them if I had to!!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #757
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy View Post
I keep having to re-light my cigar. Does this have something to do with the cigar itself or with how I'm lighting it? I've watched countless videos on how to light a cigar and think I'm doing it correctly.

Most likely its the cigar, it may be too wet.

What many here do is store our cigars at 60-65% rH instead of 70% and this eliminates most of the burn and relighting issues.

A quick fix is to let the cigar "drybox" for a day or two before smoking it. Place the cigar in a unhumidified box for a day or two and it will dry it out enough to smoke.

Another issue I have sometimes is the humidity in the air. I smoke outside a good bit and in GA during the summers it can get a bit humid causing my smokes to not want to stay lit. When this happens I just put up with the relighting, what other choice do I have.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #758
Hoosierguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Most likely its the cigar, it may be too wet.

What many here do is store our cigars at 60-65% rH instead of 70% and this eliminates most of the burn and relighting issues.

A quick fix is to let the cigar "drybox" for a day or two before smoking it. Place the cigar in a unhumidified box for a day or two and it will dry it out enough to smoke.

Another issue I have sometimes is the humidity in the air. I smoke outside a good bit and in GA during the summers it can get a bit humid causing my smokes to not want to stay lit. When this happens I just put up with the relighting, what other choice do I have.
I'm in Indiana and it's been really humid here. I don't have a humidor yet and thought I'd better smoke what I bought last week before they degrade.

Here is another question. I get the humidor 70% thing but what about temps? I don't have A/C and sometimes it gets pretty darn hot here. Is it ever better to move the humidor into the fridge on a really hot day??
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #759
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy View Post

Typically a bad light will cause an uneven burn more than it will cause the cigar to go out. You want to light the entire foot fairly evenly and you should be fine. Lighting only a tiny corner, yeah, that could go out easily on you.

Probably more to do with the ambient humidity where you are and how moist the cigar is.

What are you keeping your humidors at?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #760
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
So I'm heading down to Key West for my honeymoon and can't wait to get some of the cigars down there. I'm hearing there are a bunch of places that roll them right in front of you.
My question is, do you have to let these "age" or can you smoke them right way? I think that I'd go crazy waiting to smoke them if I had to!!
You can smoke fresh rolled cigars. Sometimes they are good to go, sometimes they need time. There really is no set rule.

A lot of it depends on how much age the leaves have before they were rolled. Also, depending on how moist the roller made the leaves when bunching, you mgiht run into a physical burn issue when trying to smoke them fresh.

Buy five. Smoke one. That will tell you right there about that particular cigar blend/size.