Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #1381
BigBruce
Independent

Trading: (4)
Bolivar Army (Active)
BigBruce will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?

Brewed a dunkel today! Hope it comes out good.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #1382
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Brewing up a SMaSH pale ale with Marris otter and HBC-438 hops tonight. First brew in quite a while. My poor keferator hasnt gotten much use lately.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #1383
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

First brew in a while. A standard Wit (50% flaked wheat/50% pale 2 row), some EKG hops and orange peel/coriander near the end of the boil. Plan is to add a hibiscus tea at bottling. Per brewers friend, I hit 82%+ efficiency.

Drank the last of my cranberry wheat from last thanksgiving. Wow, the tartness of the cranberries comes right thru. Got better with some age. I'll be making this one again soon.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #1384
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Bottled the hibiscus wit. Hope I didn't create bottle bombs. Underestimated the amount in the secondary by about 1/4 gallon for a 1.7 gallon batch. Was shooting for 2.7 vols of carbonation. Closer to 3.0.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #1385
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Hoping for no broken glass

Dry hopped my two hearted clone last weekend, I used a recipe I had used before but swapped in a couple pounds of honey malt, I don't know if it will make much of a difference but I was curious what effect it might have. It didn't really look like it was fermenting, we still dry hopped but I'm hoping it ends up being more booze than iced tea

I also brewed up what I am going to refer to as an "Oat Brown APA," I was planning on it being a black IPA but we switched up the specialty grains when we were at the store and it ended up being more on the brown side, with what looks to be a pretty chewy body. I'm really curious about this one, the girlfriend wanted to do one to celebrate finishing grad school, and just told me to make it an IPA with oats and Jade/Mosaic hops. I finagled a recipe up and things looked good, I tried a makeshift starter that hopefully didn't screw anything up.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #1386
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Went by the local HBS to get a few things for my next brew. Was going to get a 3gal carboy, but that has this. It'll hold 2.5gal. Perfect for what I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.8 KB, 1089 views)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #1387
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Brewed a Deschutes Black Butte Porter clone today. Hydrometer sample is tasty.

Sampled my first bottle of my hibiscus wit. Needs more hibiscus. But still a good beer, more like a typical wit. Finally got a good carbonation level.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #1388
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Question about using alcohol soaked oak cubes in a secondary. How long do you soak for, before adding?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #1389
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I haven't done it myself, but I did do some research on it when I was planning an oak brew a few months back and I believe it was something like 2-7 days, and add the cubes as well as the alcohol to the secondary (I was planning on using evan Williams for the alcohol, but that could just be because I'm cheap, other recipes called for Makers and other similar whiskeys)
Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #1390
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Brewed a White Russian Imperial Stout today. Calling it, "The Dude Abides". It's a blonde stout that'll be flavored with Kaluha soaked oak blocks and coffee beans. Missed my efficiency by about 5%, but still a big beer. OG was 1.092. Pitched two packs of Denny's 1450 and have airlock activity in about three hours.

Plan is to add the Kaluha, oak blocks and whole coffee beans into secondary and age for four weeks.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #1391
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Just bottled an American Pale Ale brewed with a bit of warrior hops for extra bittering.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #1392
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Went to bottle the first of a 5 gallon batch of a Scottish ale my friend and I brewed. My half of a 10 gallon batch which he got half of. I split into thirds, flavoring one with Scotch soaked oak blocks, one with heather tips and the last plain. Today was the plan one. When I opened the bucket, there was a film across the top. Something infected it, most likely some type of lacto bacteria. Well crap. Still bottled anyway. I'll see what it tastes like after conditioning. Checked the others, looks like they have it too. Not sure where it came from, but likely I didn't do a good enough job sanitizing something during the transfer.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #1393
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

That sucks Bob, nothing worst than waiting weeks/months to find out something went wrong. I unfortunately am done brewing for a while, my friend with the space and equipment moved to a new house without space, and with my move coming up to a place that also has no space (and no equipment) it'll probably be a while before I get back up with it. Gotta brew vicariously through you
Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #1394
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Ive got a bourbon vanilla Porter ready to bottle. I've made it before, it's excellent. I'll get it bottled in the next few days, and should be ready to drink for Thanksgiving.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #1395
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Brewed up v2.0 of my Thanksgiving Cranberry Wheat. It's more a NEIPA hybrid. Used Magnum hops for bittering, with Citra, Calypso and Galaxy for aroma. Plan to rack into secondary on top of the cranberries and dry hop with more of the aroma hops. Should be interesting.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #1396
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Brewed a White Russian Imperial Stout today. Calling it, "The Dude Abides". It's a blonde stout that'll be flavored with Kaluha soaked oak blocks and coffee beans. Missed my efficiency by about 5%, but still a big beer. OG was 1.092. Pitched two packs of Denny's 1450 and have airlock activity in about three hours.

Plan is to add the Kaluha, oak blocks and whole coffee beans into secondary and age for four weeks.
Finally cracked open a bottle of this a couple months ago. Coming along nicely.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #1397
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Brewing a pecan porter today.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #1398
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I’ll be right over.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #1399
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I’ll be right over.
Yup, sounds really good.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote