Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is a Xikar really worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I think Palio-Xikar is like Coke-Pepsi, mainly a personal preference. Both companies make excellent cutters and back them with lifetime warranties to boot.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with Jeff that XiKar makes a quality cutter....I just prefer the Palio, but it is always best to try each (from a fellow BOTL at a herf, maybe), and see what fits best for you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I think you're right Jeff.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I have both (sometimes I think I'm just in cigars for the swag) and I like my Palio better. Just seems it is built better and cuts better. That said I really like the xikar scissors. They are the most compact and do just as good of a job cutting the cigar.
Posted via Mobile Device
GreekGodX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #24
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
I have both, but always go for my Palio!

I got nothing bad to say about Xikar, it's sharp, looks cool and they offer top notch customer service, but I like my Palio just a bit better.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #25
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

I got nothing bad to say about Xikar, it's sharp, looks cool and they offer top notch customer service, but I like my Palio just a bit better.
My thoughts exactly. Thought my Xikar was the coolest thing when I got it, but have never used it since getting my Palio. I might feel different if I had one of those Wooley Mammmoth horn Xikars someone was buying around here last year.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

I have a couple Xikars and the lifetime sharpening is pretty darn cool. I already sent one in and it returned ready to go! Only cost of sharpening = $4.80 for shipping. Good deal IMO.
muhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #27
Pauly Walnuts

Thanks for all the preferences guys. I'm torn between the two because I like the cool factor of the switchblade action of the Xikar, but I just know that Id like the Palios sturdy design better in the longrun. But hell, I wont be able to afford either for awhile anyway so Ill have the time to think which one is for me.
Walnuts
Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #28
druturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
but I just know that Id like the Palios sturdy design better in the longrun.
There is no need to think of long run in terms of sturdiness, no matter what happens to your Palio or Xikar, you can get it replaced for free at most B&M's on the spot FOR LIFE! As everyone says, it all comes down to preference. I have no experience with Palio's so I can't say anything about it but I do love my Xikar Xi2 cutter. Ever since I got it nearly two years ago I have cut every single cigar I smoked with it(even including dozens of other friend's cigars) without a hitch. One side has started to stick a little bit, so I just took it into my local B&M and got it replaced on the spot for free. In summary, try em both from a BOTL and see how you like each. The Xikar takes a bit of practice but after practicing it will be comfortable and I am sure it is the same story for Palios. Good luck in your decision, you can't go wrong!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #29
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I use a Palio and I love it. I used to use a Xikar, but it seemed to wobble when cutting b/c it is hard to control when applying pressure b/c there are no finger holes like the Palio has.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

I have a Xikar MTX Tool I bought for $40. Love it.
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #31
Roland of Gilead

I have both, and I prefer the Palio slightly over the Xikar. They're both great cutters though.

-Mark.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #32
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post
I have a couple Xikars and the lifetime sharpening is pretty darn cool. I already sent one in and it returned ready to go! Only cost of sharpening = $4.80 for shipping. Good deal IMO.
Palio offers the same service. When it comes to customer service both companies are the best.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #33
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Xikars are great... I have a few of them...also have a Palio...Palio is a shade better but they're both top-of-the-line cutters...you'd be good to go with either...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #34
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I use a Palio and I love it. I used to use a Xikar, but it seemed to wobble when cutting b/c it is hard to control when applying pressure b/c there are no finger holes like the Palio has.
The easy way to use a Xikar is to lay it on the table. You hold the cigar vertically with the cap resting on the table and snip.

I have no experience with Palio, but have nothing but good things to say about my Xikar which I've had at least 5 years.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #35
klipsch

I own a Palio. The only Xikar that I'd probably consider having, would be the Multi Tool. But even then...the Palio does everything I could ask of a cutter...so there's no need to buy another. Sept maybe another Palio in Black.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #36
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road

I have the Xikar and love it! Its action became a little sticky after years of use sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one with less then 1 week turn around. I have a used the Palio and I have to say I like the feel and action better on the Xikar
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

So the point is that you can't go wrong with either cutter.
Either will serve you a lifetime and will cut hundreds of cigars for you.
I settled on a Palio, still as sharp as the day I got it a couple of years ago.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #38
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Nothing wrong with either cutter...unless you have my problem...getting your thumb stuck in the Palio.

Which is why I stick with a Xikar...no fingers or thumbs getting stuck!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #39
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Here's my 3 cents.

Xikar hasa lifetime warranty. That's a pretty safe bet. I have used one before and i feel that the double blades are so bulky that I always cut the cigar kind-of slanted. I have reverted to using a regular old single blade cutter, never fails.

I have heard great things about the Palio's but have never used one myself. It looks to me like it was engineered to make a good clean even cut.. .but the proof is obviously in the proverbial pudding.

Caveat Emptor... at one time Colibri offered a lifetiem warranty.... at one time Colibri was bankrupt.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #40
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Palio offers the same service. When it comes to customer service both companies are the best.
Not true!

If the blades of your Palio are not what they should be, walk into any Palio retailer and they will swap it out with a brand new cutter on the spot. Cost? $0.00

Yes. I know not every Palio owner has access to a Palio retailer and must use alternate methods (mail-in) but the cost is still the same.