Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default AF Rothschild

OK, I hadn't had any of these in a while, but a special came up and I pulled the trigger - for old time sake.

Love the Cameroon wrapper on these, a bit of tooth and still smooth and oily.
Love the cocoa & coffee pre-light aroma. Took to match like a champ. Chocolate, coffee seemed to predominate, with a slight complexity and spice mixed in. About 2/3 in, it developed a slight bitterness, but a 30 second purge brought back a brightness to the flavors, and a rich cocoa (not chocolate) developed.

I missed these. It reminded me of when I got these in my "new-to-smoking-cigars" days. What a wonderful blast from the past. These have really remained fairly consistent, at least from my failing memory recalls.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: AF Rothschild

I like them too. Mild but tasty. And always well made. A great Saturday morning smoke.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Hmmm, never got "mild" from them, I could see medium. I know compared to some of the stuff popular today they are definitely much milder, but mild? I'd reserve mild to Macanudo, Griffins, Davidoff's regular lines, and stuff like that.

Of course, having said that, everybody's tastes vary.

We both agree they are a good smoke.

I like the fact that they are very similar it what I remember from 35+ years ago.

The AF Rothschild and the AF Chateau Fuente were a part of my rotation of smokes when I was back in college. I could get the AF Roth for $22 a box of 25, and the AF CF for $19 for a box of 20. El Rey Del Mundo Robustos were $18.50 for a box of 20, and Punch Rothschilds were $40 for box of 50. I got most of my stuff at Iwan Ries in Chicago.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Hmmm, never got "mild" from them, I could see medium. I know compared to some of the stuff popular today they are definitely much milder, but mild? I'd reserve mild to Macanudo, Griffins, Davidoff's regular lines, and stuff like that.
I agree. I smoked an 8-5-8 yesterday and it is definitely in the medium range. My memory of these was vague. A nice cigar I should reach for more often.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
sigsauer
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (63)
Partagas
sigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura about

AF Rothschild in maduro are awesome......very consistent imo
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

like the rest of the AF lines, they are a solid cigar
Old 12-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Todd, thanks for the stroll down memory lane. My first two boxes were AF Cuban Coronas. The next several were the Rothschilds. $22 bucks with shipping included. Those days were good, but then again I was making 6 bucks an hour so I guess maybe things haven't changed too much for the worst.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review and memory re-boot Todd Always have enjoyed the AF Chateau Fuente Sungrown and Maduro Rothchilds. Great tasting mild-medium/medium bodied cigars...
Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

One of the cigars that distinguished AF as a brand; pre Opus cigar.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
sigsauer
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (63)
Partagas
sigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura about

$22.00 a box!
I wish I had a time machine...
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauer View Post
$22.00 a box!
I wish I had a time machine...
No doubt.

And if I had the money - and the ability to foresee the future - I would have purchased many boxes of them and saved them till now, or at least until the 90s boom before selling them.