Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default ever had a day when cigars didn't taste right?

Smoking some cigars tonight...and they dont taste right. One is a first time smoke, and the other is one I smoke all the time. The first time smoke tasted like @ss and my regular cigar tasted muted, and bland...

I havent been sick, and I didnt eat anything before smoking...had a water with the smokes.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Pipe&Cigar

Default Re: ever had a day when cigars didn't taste right

What were they? What about Storage? New purchases, different B&M? (On your regular smoke)
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

This happens to me every once in a while. I dont know why but I will go a few days even a week not liking any cigars including my favorites. I cant explain why this happens but it does. You are not alone.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

I have had a nagging head cold for like 2 weeks and that has killed the good flavor of cigars, but I am still firing them up. Just not the good ones.

Without a cold, sometimes it just happens. Hope tomorrow straightens out your taste for you.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

The new one was an Opus and the regular was a Taboo Twist from a box I have. My vino has been rock solid 68 degrees and 65RH. I was going to finish the night with one of the cc's I have but decided that I dont want to waste it.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
AdamC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwc4sc View Post
This happens to me every once in a while. I dont know why but I will go a few days even a week not liking any cigars including my favorites. I cant explain why this happens but it does. You are not alone.
maybe its like a mans period...taste changes. Then you don't like what you smoke so you get angry. All the symptoms. haha
Seriously though I've had those days too.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Pipe&Cigar

Talking Re: ever had a day when cigars didn't taste right

I would save the CC for later... now is a good time to get rid of your dog rockets
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

For me that's when I know it is time to Herf with some BOTL/SOTL!!!

Everything tastes better when I'm Herfing!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
dcamacho

ive had one cigar not taste right, but never "cigars" ..... thats weird. did u try pairing them with drinks? did u have a bad week/day? just curious.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
kgoings
Cigarologist

No not necessarily a bad or stressful day, in fact I was really looking forward to smoking a cigar.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Hasn't happened yet thankfully.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
hoyohio
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (1)
QdO
hoyohio is on a distinguished road

This happens to me more frequently than I'd like. I smoke daily and often go through varying degrees of what some call "sick palate." Diet and any number of factors can have an impact. With me, I believe it's just the frequency with which I smoke. Sometimes cigars taste flat - like cigarettes or even hot air. Sometimes all cigars begin to taste the same. It feels chemical to me -- almost like an allergy. Sometimes it resolves the following day. And sometimes I need to take a break for a couple days or even a week or two. In rare instances, I get what I call "toxic palate" -- when cigars taste like licking an ash tray or even burning rubber. That's when I take a long break.

Conversely, once in a blue moon, I get what I call "euphoric palate", when all cigars taste unusually good, but the same. That's when I smoke the cheap stuff!
hoyohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyohio View Post
This happens to me more frequently than I'd like. I smoke daily and often go through varying degrees of what some call "sick palate." Diet and any number of factors can have an impact. With me, I believe it's just the frequency with which I smoke. Sometimes cigars taste flat - like cigarettes or even hot air. Sometimes all cigars begin to taste the same. It feels chemical to me -- almost like an allergy. Sometimes it resolves the following day. And sometimes I need to take a break for a couple days or even a week or two. In rare instances, I get what I call "toxic palate" -- when cigars taste like licking an ash tray or even burning rubber. That's when I take a long break.

Conversely, once in a blue moon, I get what I call "euphoric palate", when all cigars taste unusually good, but the same. That's when I smoke the cheap stuff!
That sounds about like it! I had a cigar on Wed of last week...but that was the last...I usually dont go that long between cigars.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Smoking some cigars tonight...and they dont taste right. One is a first time smoke, and the other is one I smoke all the time. The first time smoke tasted like @ss and my regular cigar tasted muted, and bland...

I havent been sick, and I didnt eat anything before smoking...had a water with the smokes.
Happens to me all the time. I think it has to do with my mood, how I'm feeling, and what I've had to eat. Sure is dissapointing though.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Yup! Sometimes they just aren't the same... I find that the food I eat, gum I chew, what I drink, and even my mood all change the taste of cigars for me.

Some days I think I am in the mood to smoke and then once I light it up, I realize I'm not. Although that is rare thankfully lol...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Have you changed toothpaste recently? Sounds crazy, but this can have an affect on you palate. About six months ago I switched to a "Total Care" toothpaste. After about a week, I lost all taste for cigars. A strong JdN or LFD tasted the same as a mild smoke. Maduro's same as Connies. Read another post where they said TP may be the issue. Switched back to the old reliable and within 3 days the taste buds were back as was the enjoyment of a good smoke.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Smoked an Anejo #55 tonight and couldn't get one flavor out of it. It tasted like nothing at all, just like smoking air.
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I can't say why, but I have gone through stages where cigars just didn't tast right. I usually go to my pipes for a few weeks, and then I am ready to jump back into cigars.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Have you changed toothpaste recently? Sounds crazy, but this can have an affect on you palate. About six months ago I switched to a "Total Care" toothpaste. After about a week, I lost all taste for cigars. A strong JdN or LFD tasted the same as a mild smoke. Maduro's same as Connies. Read another post where they said TP may be the issue. Switched back to the old reliable and within 3 days the taste buds were back as was the enjoyment of a good smoke.
Maybe it is just me but, if you are getting a diferent flavor with diferent TP, you are using the wrong orifice
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
Dgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglizard1 View Post
Maybe it is just me but, if you are getting a diferent flavor with diferent TP, you are using the wrong orifice