Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
timberham

Post New Idea for my Moisture Device! Please Help!

Hello all!

I do not mean to post to this forum with unwanted spam. I'm greatful to all that have helped me so far, but I need your help again. For those of you who have yet to find my thread I need your help too!

My name is Tim Hamerly and I am a senior working on a thesis project in which I have developed a moisture device that could be implemented into the humidors. Basically, it would release moisture into the humidor over a long long period of time and also tell you when it needed more water. I am currently in the process of doing market research, as you may have guessed.

I know devices like this already exist, but mine would both maintain a humidity level and it would tell you when it was about to run dry. I feel that this new idea is an improvement on my last one. Also, I would like to attach some form of a communications device that would notify the user via WiFi or RFID that the device was nearly out of water.

If you have just a few minutes to fill out this survey, it would be greatly appreciated. It has been modified slightly since the last time it was posted. If you took my earlier one, you do not need to retake this, but you still can as the new information would help a lot!

Again, I do not mean to post this as spam. I am truly trying to develop this product and could really use your help to determine if this product is worth while to the smoking community.

Any questions or concerns can be sent to my email address; thamerly@carthage.edu, and I will address them as soon as possible. Any advice can also be submitted to me through email or this forum thread and would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for all your help!

Link to survey:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/embe...WVhqdUllQXc6MA
Old 11-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Idea for my Moisture Device! Please Help!

You're looking to control the RH to a desired value. How are you going to remove moisture should the RH go over setpoint?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
You're looking to control the RH to a desired value. How are you going to remove moisture should the RH go over setpoint?
Good question, I haven't quite figured that out, it may be a notification is sent to the user and then the user would have to remove the device for a day or something. Else, if people are willing to pay a little more for the device, I can put in some sort of automatic closing door that will shut until the moisture is right again. Kinda depends on the price people would be willing to pay.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Do you have a ballpark figure at this point?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Ballpark figure would be a good idea. It needs to be cheap or relatively cheap in comparison to other products. You can buy a decent Oasis unit for around $100... the Cigar Oasis has everything you are describing except the Wifi feature. If you can get a wifi feature in the unit, that would be a huge bonus I am sure to a lot of users. Maybe an app for their iPhone or Blackberry that would show their water level. Who knows.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberham View Post
Also, I would like to attach some form of a communications device that would notify the user via WiFi or RFID that the device was nearly out of water.
You can get into the WiFi side fairly cheap and very low power. Something like what the smart meter market is using. I have been investigating the TI CC430 and it is a great platform. General purpose processor coupled with the TI RF1A (CC1100 series) radio core. Works with the zigbee stack and is designed to last a very, very long time on a single battery.

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/landing/...+cc430_wireapp

The TI CC430 wiki is here: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index...._Sampling_Page

I am considering putting together a class on low power zigbee stack programming and the CC430 is the fave candidate so far. Haven't gotten my hands on a development kit yet, but it should be relatively affordable. It supports both IEEE 802.15.4 (low power) and, I think, IEEE 802.16 WiFi. Great for both industrial and home low power, low cost use.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

I would like to know what the size of the unit is going to be and if you have a prototype can you take some pics and post them.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
timberham

Hey, so thanks for the advice guys! Really helps. So I was hoping for the range of $30-50 but I don't know yet. and the size is the key feature for price. Bigger or smaller units will cost different amounts. This is obviously dependent on size of the humidor. But on the survey thats why I ask what you would like to pay, cause I mean realistically its you guys who will be paying for it.

Thanks for the help. Keep it coming please. Also feel free to email me directly!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
timberham

Just bumping the thread.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

It's hard to give more input without more specifics. If this is something that you intend to patent, then I can see the reluctance. If you are looking for ideas just for product, start tossing out some parameters and you will get a load of more detailed help.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
It's hard to give more input without more specifics. If this is something that you intend to patent, then I can see the reluctance. If you are looking for ideas just for product, start tossing out some parameters and you will get a load of more detailed help.
Well the gel which is used as the moisture control system is patented, the device is not year patented. So basically here it is in a nutshell. The gel will slowly release moisture into the atmosphere, and will suck some back up if the moisture is too high. When the gel is running low on water, an electrical circuit will be complete and warn you to fill it up with water. However this should last for between 1-4 months AT LEAST depending on the humidor size. Finally, it will send humidity and temp (provided people want this feature) to a phone/computer to tell the consumer what the levels are at intervals. Does this help to clarify? I would be happy to answer any other questions as well. Either post them on the forum or email me directly at thamerly@carthage.edu.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

What's the patent #?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
timberham

Quote:
What's the patent #?
Before I answer that, may I ask why you want to know that?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberham View Post
Before I answer that, may I ask why you want to know that?
why not? If you know the patent number, no prob. Patents are public documents.

Full disclosure: I am a IP consultant and testifying expert, but not in this area.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
timberham

Quote:

Full disclosure: I am a IP consultant and testifying expert, but not in this area.
No problem just curious why. The patent number is 6,583,225 and the link to the uspto site is here http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...225&RS=6583225.

So, the patent owner isn't me obviously. However, my school is part of a program called CATI (Center for Advanced Technology and Innovation) www.thecati.com and so the company had no use for the patent and gave right to it to CATI. This is actually where I got hold of the patent and was able to gain right to it. Overall, it's a vary cool integration of school to the real world. Hope this little bit was helpful and anymore questions are welcome and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

RA

Quote:

Been a while, but I've been an expert witness in a patent suit as well. (Gas fireplace)

And, it was not fun!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
timberham

Quote:
Been a while, but I've been an expert witness in a patent suit as well. (Gas fireplace)

And, it was not fun!
I don't know, I love IP and patent law. If I decide I don't like chemistry research, I'm going to get my J.D. to practice patent law lol.