Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #41
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation
Default Re: iPad 3 (The new iPad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Yep!

Also, thanks for suggesting that I wait a few week, a few weeks ago...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=iPad
No problem bro! Glad you decided to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2145 View Post
ARRR MAC users i once again ask myself why you get so excited over something thats only a little better than the last but will cost about 3x the price.

Not saying the new stuff is better but the original chunky iphone and huge ipad are so much better IMHO they feel heavy and chunky and like they might be worth some of the thousands of pounds you pay for them.
I can only answer for myself (I use Apple and non-apple products), but to me the new iPad is significantly better than the iPad 2 (which I own) rather than just "a little better". Plus, it is the exact same price. I like having the best technology, whether it be Apple or another company, so I upgrade every year. I sell my old technology on eBay and usually only have to shell out $40-50 for the new product. Hell last year I actually MADE money by upgrading to the new iPhone 4S.

To each their own I guess, but I like having new and updated technology.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

I love my iPad1. Skipped the iPad2 but will most likely be getting one the "new iPad's" and putting toddler games on the old iPad1 for my daughter
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #43
Reaver2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post

Price is the same as the IPAD2 before the price drop. $100 more is 3x the price?
Wait for once they are charging less this is madness.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #44
tengel78

I would like to get one, but $499 for 16GB of space is crazy to me. If they had the 32 for that price I would probably jump on it. Not even my music would fit on the 16GB.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #45
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm gonna go with the 32 or 64GB this time, but only because of the camera and HD video. I think the extra space will be handy. I've never filled 16Gb on my ipad 1, but I didn't have a camera or video.
I might as well go for the 64, I suppose.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #46
Boz
In Vino Veritas

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think I'm gonna go with the 32 or 64GB this time, but only because of the camera and HD video. I think the extra space will be handy. I've never filled 16Gb on my ipad 1, but I didn't have a camera or video.
I might as well go for the 64, I suppose.

I will be going at least 32, probably 64. With a 2.5 year old, having movies on the iPad can be a lifesaver. I'm tapped out on my 16g iPad1.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #47
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Ordered.
I got the 64GB Wifi and a camera connection kit. Now I need to find an otterbox for it.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #48
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
I will be going at least 32, probably 64. With a 2.5 year old, having movies on the iPad can be a lifesaver. I'm tapped out on my 16g iPad1.
I'm with ya having a 3 yr old... what all sources do you get your movies? Where do you recommend for kids movies?

I don't remember reading, but can you transfer your own media to the iPad, or does it have to come from itunes or icloud etc?
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #49
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
I'm with ya having a 3 yr old... what all sources do you get your movies? Where do you recommend for kids movies?

I don't remember reading, but can you transfer your own media to the iPad, or does it have to come from itunes or icloud etc?
I transfer my own media all the time. Just did a bunch of movies so i could have something to watch on the plane. Just used Itunes. To rip the movies, i used Handbrake which did a really good job.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #50
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Current macs have some sexy hardware, but all the fancy hardware in the world couldn't convince me to go back to IOS and the walled garden [prison]. Unlike a macbook or mac pro I can't just format and run a decent OS. Transformer prime for me.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #51
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods357 View Post
Current macs have some sexy hardware, but all the fancy hardware in the world couldn't convince me to go back to IOS and the walled garden [prison]. Unlike a macbook or mac pro I can't just format and run a decent OS. Transformer prime for me.
I did similar stuff for years. Now I just want to buy something and use it more or less as is. I want to be able to take it back to the store if something goes wrong -- I have better things to do with my time now than futz with OS installs and debugging...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #52
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Ordered
x2. I pre-sold our existing iPad2's to family last week to make room for the new model. 16gb WiFi's in white and black to be delivered in the first week of availability. I REALLY hope the FaceTime camera is better than the front-facing camera on the iPad2, the resolution on that one was so horrible they might as well no have bothered
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #53
Boz
In Vino Veritas

HUpmann

Quote:

So far I've just used iTunes and movies that come with digital copies. I really need to use Handbrake and transfer more stuff.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #54
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
So now I will wait another week to see how much of a sale price other retailers will sell the iPad 2 for... I'm hoping for $299 - $349 for the 16GB
$399 for the 16GB iPad2... it's going to continue being sold at $100 less than the 16GB wifi only announced today. The sales are going to be on the 3G, 32gb and 64gb models. Frankly for $100 it's worth buying the newest model one just for the screen.

Quote:
ARRR MAC users i once again ask myself why you get so excited over something thats only a little better than the last but will cost about 3x the price.
Huh? Apple has not increased the price on a model refresh in years. They update and improve then, at the worst, leave the price the same. The pricing structure for the 3rd gen iPad is exactly the same as the original.

Quote:
Not saying the new stuff is better but the original chunky iphone and huge ipad are so much better IMHO they feel heavy and chunky and like they might be worth some of the thousands of pounds you pay for them.
You've obviously missed the trend with all mobile devices, not just Apple's, if you think bigger, chunkier and heavier is better
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #55
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
x2. I pre-sold our existing iPad2's to family last week to make room for the new model. 16gb WiFi's in white and black to be delivered in the first week of availability. I REALLY hope the FaceTime camera is better than the front-facing camera on the iPad2, the resolution on that one was so horrible they might as well no have bothered
Its the same shitty front camera, new rear camera.

At least thats what i read on the blogs.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #56
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
$399 for the 16GB iPad2... it's going to continue being sold at $100 less than the 16GB wifi only announced today. The sales are going to be on the 3G, 32gb and 64gb models. Frankly for $100 it's worth buying the newest model one just for the screen.
I said "other" retailers. Other places always have sales, not Apple. I'm hoping for $299, but realistically should get one for $349.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #57
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
Its the same shitty front camera, new rear camera.

At least thats what i read on the blogs.
What I read is that the front camera is the same Facetime camera as in the MacBook Air and iPhone4S. It won't be HD quality but really who cares for video conferencing anyways? All I want is for my wife and I to be able to use our iPad's for Skype without our nieces in New Zealand thinking we're "monsters" due to all the pixellation and artifacts.

Quote:
I said "other" retailers. Other places always have sales, not Apple. I'm hoping for $299, but realistically should get one for $349.
I recognize that however the specific model you're hoping to get, 16gb wifi-only iPad2, is not discontinued so there's no reason for any retailer to blow them out like they will with all the other iPad2 models. Hell, we bought my mother-in-law a 16gb w/ 3G for her birthday 2 weeks ago when I went in to get the price guarantee refund from BestBuy today it was actually now $20 cheaper than the 16gb wifi-only because the 3G model was on discontinued clearance and the WiFi wasn't. Got $170 back
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #58
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post

Price is the same as the IPAD2 before the price drop. $100 more is 3x the price?
Oh those cheeky Brits and their arithmetican...
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ordered.
I got the 64GB Wifi and a camera connection kit.
You and I talked about these a few months ago, and we both agreed that the new iPad and iPhone were going to be significant upgrades to their predecessors. Congrats, brother!
Quote:
Now I need to find an otterbox for it.
By chance will you be investing in the case that I pointed out to you?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #60
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ordered. ... Now I need to find an otterbox for it.
Looks like they already have it on their website. A little different than the one for iPad 2, but the new one will fit either the new iPad or the iPad 2.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote