Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #181
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

i actually am looking forward to it.

doing some research with my Star Wars dork buddies, Disney is writing it themselves and it will not be based on any stories that have been release so far.

heck, they own marvel and have done a damn good job with the avengers movies.

and 8 and 9 are slated for production as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #182
Malakai
The Anti-Dennis

First Name: John
Trading: (34)
RA
Malakai will become famous soon enoughMalakai will become famous soon enough

Yep...I too look forward to seeing what they can come up with.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #183
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It can't be any worse than what Lucas has already done to the franchise.
I disagree here. The latest triology is not as good as the original but they are great films, still way better than any superhero movie (other than the last two Dark Knight movies) of the last 20 years.

That being said, I don't think Disney will be a totally bad thing. They've got the writers and I'm excited for a Star Wars theme park in Orlando
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #184
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post

In all seriousness though, I do agree with much of what Powers said. Disney is fun and easy to poke fun at, BUT they generally get sh!t right too, THEY KNOW THEIR MARKET really well, and do a very good job catering to it. They've got access to the creative talent by the bucketful, so I really do expect them to do a GOOD job with the upcoming films. And I'm looking forward to something original, something new that my inner nerd hasn't seen/read before in the star wars universe. Best of all, as long as the films keep making money, they'll keep on making em! new star wars for everyone, hurray!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #185
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post

In all seriousness though, I do agree with much of what Powers said. Disney is fun and easy to poke fun at, BUT they generally get sh!t right too, THEY KNOW THEIR MARKET really well, and do a very good job catering to it. They've got access to the creative talent by the bucketful, so I really do expect them to do a GOOD job with the upcoming films. And I'm looking forward to something original, something new that my inner nerd hasn't seen/read before in the star wars universe. Best of all, as long as the films keep making money, they'll keep on making em! new star wars for everyone, hurray!
That's what I think most of us were trying to say. I don't like the direction that Lucasfilms had taken the franchise. I have to disagree that the episodes 1-3 films are great films. I don't know that I could call 1 even a good movie. For a guy who created Darth Vader/Han Solo/Yoda etc to come up with a character like Jar Jar sounds like someone who is resting on his laurels. The movies did one thing well, and that is to paint the back story to how Anakin became Darth Vader. Other than that I, IMHO, find them mostly unwatchable.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #186
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
I disagree here. The latest triology is not as good as the original but they are great films, still way better than any superhero movie (other than the last two Dark Knight movies) of the last 20 years.
Meesa tink you crazy. Meesa tink you head full of icky icky goo.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #187
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

I don't consider Star Wars a, "superhero" movie, but just to play along...

Superhero movies better than the Star Wars prequels (off the top of my head):
X-Men
X2
X-Men: First Class
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Amazing Spider Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America
Batman Begins
The Incredibles (yep; I'd rather watch a Pixar movie than the prequels)

It's no coincidence that the best movie by far of the series (ESB), is the one that Lucas had the least amount of input.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #188
mariogolbee

I spoke of my disappointment with episode 1 to my older brother after first watching it in the theater. His response made sense. He mentioned a few things I have since forgotten, and that it culminated in a a land, space, and lightsaber battle, all of which follow the formula of the previous movies. The problem was that after so many years I was expecting more. Sure, Jar Jar is annoying as hell and Anakin was whiney, but so was Luke. Luke was a whiny little SOB.

Anyway, the first three episodes may not have been perfect, but at least we have them.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #189
mariogolbee

More Team Unicorn...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #190
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I spoke of my disappointment with episode 1 to my older brother after first watching it in the theater. His response made sense. He mentioned a few things I have since forgotten, and that it culminated in a a land, space, and lightsaber battle, all of which follow the formula of the previous movies.
I'll give the Devil his due, Duel of the Fates was the best lightsaber battle of the franchise (although the convenient absence of Force Speed by Obi-Wan to get through the energy gates still vexes me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
The problem was that after so many years I was expecting more. Sure, Jar Jar is annoying as hell and Anakin was whiney, but so was Luke. Luke was a whiny little SOB.

Anyway, the first three episodes may not have been perfect, but at least we have them.
Yeah, Luke started out as a whiny, naive girl, that ended up being a badass Jedi who didn't blink in the face of Vader or Palpatine (all with minimal training might I add).

Anakin started out as a whiny girl that ended up being a...whiny girl. As I told my buddies a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away..."Wah"nakin wasn't the Chosen One, he was the Chosen Whine.

Last edited by Stephen; 11-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #191
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #192
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:

X-Men
X2
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Amazing Spider Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America
Batman Begins

It's no coincidence that the best movie by far of the series (ESB), is the one that Lucas had the least amount of input.
I'd still rather watch episode 1-3 than any of those other than The Avengers. But that's just my opinion

I think a mistake that Lucas made is killing Darth Maul in Episode 1. He was the best villain of the new trilogy by far
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #193
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Well, technically Darth Maul was not killed in the duel. Just sayin.

I for one welcome our new mouse eared overlords. Just sayin.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #194
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

You know that $4 Billion that George Lucas is making on the sale of Lucasfilm?

Looks like he's planning on donating almost all of it to education.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...as-will-384947
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #195
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'll give the Devil his due, Duel of the Fates was the best lightsaber battle of the franchise (although the convenient absence of Force Speed by Obi-Wan to get through the energy gates still vexes me).

Yeah, Luke started out as a whiny, naive girl, that ended up being a badass Jedi who didn't blink in the face of Vader or Palpatine (all with minimal training might I add).

Anakin started out as a whiny girl that ended up being a...whiny girl. As I told my buddies a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away..."Wah"nakin wasn't the Chosen One, he was the Chosen Whine.
Vader wasn't whiny until Lucas went and added the "noooooooooo" effect at the end of Jedi.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #196
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
You know that $4 Billion that George Lucas is making on the sale of Lucasfilm?

Looks like he's planning on donating almost all of it to education.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...as-will-384947
He went off the deep end with some story ideas, but he's a classy and stand up guy. This only proves it. Well done, Mr. Lucas!

Insert quote here.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #197
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I'd still rather watch episode 1-3 than any of those other than The Avengers. But that's just my opinion

I think a mistake that Lucas made is killing Darth Maul in Episode 1. He was the best villain of the new trilogy by far
I agree with the first half of your post.

However, I disagree completely with the second half of your post. Darth Maul is completely overrated. A Sith who rarely speaks and is trained in Kung Fu (Ray Park) and looks entirely badass is great on the surface, but the guy had no character/personality at all to me. I'll take Count Dookoo anyday of the week over Darth Maul. Dookoo fit in with the traditional Star Wars story. Maul was merely an assassin and is pretty much just a Sith version of Boba Fett.

Insert quote here.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #198
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Vader wasn't whiny until Lucas went and added the "noooooooooo" effect at the end of Jedi.
Anakin in the prequels. Not Anakin as Darth Vader.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #199
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
And I'd rather watch Demolition Man than Amadeus, but it doesn't make Demolition Man a better movie.
Quote:
He was the best villain of the new trilogy by far
Palpatine says hello. Then throws Force Lightning at you.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #200
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

This list is on the mark. The last three were awful AND don't foret that abortion of a Raiders of the Lost Ark Crystal Skull... He should have stepped aside about 20 years ago.

Quote:

X-Men
X2
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Amazing Spider Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America
Batman Begins