Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #41
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Basic Coffee Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Yea the local roaster is a great idea. I would go down to 55grams try that. Then down to 50grams. That little trial and error would probably do the trick.
BlackBear Coffee Micro Roastery Recommends 53.2 Gm/40Oz. Think I'll Try That. 63Gm. Is Still A Little Strong. Thanks, Christos!
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
How did making a pot of drip coffee get so involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Like guys "over think" their cigars?
Yeah, I'm pretty much mystified. I've used a simple Bunn drip maker for well over thirty years now. I'm on my third one now. My Solis grinder is somewhere between ten and fifteen years old. Whenever I try a new brand of beans, I usually manage to figure out how much I need in a pot after a few tries. Don't own a coffee measuring device, I eyeball it.

Just never found it to be all that complicated.

Right now I'm drinking a cup made from San Francisco Bay French Roast. Strong, rich, no bitterness. Satisfies my simple tastes.

Last edited by Ashcan Bill; 10-18-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #43
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
BlackBear Coffee Micro Roastery Recommends 53.2 Gm/40Oz. Think I'll Try That. 63Gm. Is Still A Little Strong. Thanks, Christos!
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83
I Know This Sounds A Little Weak To The Coffee Experts, But It Suits My Tastes. 1 Tablespoon Coffee/6OZ. H20= 37Gm. Coffee For My Technivorm Model. Works Great! Thanks, Again, For All The Great Advice, My Friends!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #44
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Greg, I've read this thread over and over because I feel I am in the exact place you were when you started. I've used the Technivorm for about 2 months and tried different grind levels, different coffees like Starbucks, Eight O'clock, Heine Brothers and more. I don't have any way of measuring grams, but sounds like I need to try and be more precise. I have eyeballed it only, more, less, different grind levels and none seem "rich" enough. Kind of bland; not bitter, just bland. What kind of a scale do you use to measure grams? Thanks. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #45
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

If I could not make a good cup of coffee with it in two months,I would throw it out.
Sounds like the water is either not hot enough or it is running past the coffee too fast to extract any flavor.
I have an espresso machine,moca pot,french press, and a drip machine,and have no trouble with any of them.
The espresso took a few trials to dial in,a little advice from a pro and I was good to go......
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #46
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

I just tried the salt thing and my god... it actually works. I've also heard of putting grass fed butter with your ground coffee. My roommate said he tried it over christmas and it was amazing. He said it was like a concentrated caffeine high or compared it to taking a small dose of a "study buddy" without feeling all hopped up. Not sure if anyone else has heard of this and I'm not sure if normal butter will work or not.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #47
Gogi73
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Gogi73 is on a distinguished road

cigarmonkel I tried it actually with grass fed butter and with coconut oil (1.tsp for a cup) and it is great. You can add cream/milk if you like.
Some call it bulletproof coffee, I guess it makes you immortal
Gogi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #48
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Greg, I've read this thread over and over because I feel I am in the exact place you were when you started. I've used the Technivorm for about 2 months and tried different grind levels, different coffees like Starbucks, Eight O'clock, Heine Brothers and more. I don't have any way of measuring grams, but sounds like I need to try and be more precise. I have eyeballed it only, more, less, different grind levels and none seem "rich" enough. Kind of bland; not bitter, just bland. What kind of a scale do you use to measure grams? Thanks. Steve
"37 Grams" With A Full Pot (40 Ounces) Measured On A Oxo Kitchen Scale:http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stai...+scale+digital

Works Great Every Morning!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #49
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Thanks Greg; I'll try that. My coffee isn't bad, but it isn't heads and shoulders above a standard drip machine. But, I love to tweak it and will try the measure.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #50
cigarmarine
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: lashun
Trading: (2)
MarineCorps
cigarmarine is on a distinguished road

I would like to start grinding and brewing my on coffe. I like a strong cup, any suggestions on grinder and brewer
cigarmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #51
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmarine View Post
I would like to start grinding and brewing my on coffe. I like a strong cup, any suggestions on grinder and brewer
French Press and a Zassenhaus grinder.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #52
cigarmarine
Adjusting to the Life

MarineCorps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRebel View Post
French Press and a Zassenhaus grinder.
thank you sir
Old 10-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #53
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I love some fresh beans, but I'm also in love with Tim Horton's, Greg.
No bitter at all, and it's nice and earthy and full. Sticks to your ribs.
Seems like all the fresh beans I've ever tried, and I've tried a mess, are more on the order of a thin, sweet, no bitter brew. Which is also great, but Tim Horton's is closer to organic Kona dark roast at a whole lot smaller price.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #54
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Seems like all the fresh beans I've ever tried, and I've tried a mess, are more on the order of a thin, sweet, no bitter brew. Which is also great, but Tim Horton's is closer to organic Kona dark roast at a whole lot smaller price.
Which Blend Of Tim Horton's, Scott?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #55
cigarmarine
Adjusting to the Life

MarineCorps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Love Tim Horton's, been drinking it since 1998 use to go to Windsor, Canada a lot before they came to us
Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #56
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

In the supermarket category, I like Community Coffee. This is a New Orleans company and their coffee is available regionally.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote