Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #21
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Basic Coffee Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes.
Received My Unclebeanz Shipment Yesterday, "Beso Espresso". Ground The Coffee Last Nite On My Baratza Encore Grinder Setting "19". This Morning I Added 3.5 Level Scoops Or 1 Tablespoon/6Oz. Filtered Water. Nice, Smooth, Sweet, Cocoa Flavor. I Still Need A Little More Flavor, So I May Go Up To 4-5 Scoops/ Liter. Picked Up Some Freshly Roasted Coffee From My Local Roaster, Yesterday, Too!

http://www.springhillcoffeeroasters.com
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #22
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Greg another thing I noticed with my, automated pour over machine (I don't say drip machine because the technivorum and a few others are so far ahead of cheap drip machines) is that water quality matters. I filter all my water prior to use in mine, or use bottled water. There is a difference in taste imo. And even if there isn't it's better for the life of the machine to use good water to prevent scale or other issues.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

My favorite grocery store coffee is Eight O' Clock. It is nothing special but it does the trick for a backup.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #24
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
water quality matters.
This is a really good point, I use bottled water for my coffee.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
This is a really good point, I use bottled water for my coffee.
Don't use distilled water. Some mineral content is need for flavor so says my co-worker who's super into coffee. Minerals help "pull" some of the coffee material that adds to flavor.

We are lucky in Boston that our tap water is very good and no need to filter or use bottled water
Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Always Use Filtered Water From My GE Filtered Ice/Water Dispenser From My Fridge. I Tried Actually "Weighing" My Coffee This Afternoon & Found Out 60Gm. Of The Particular Coffee I Was Using Was Only 4 Level Coffee Scoops!!! Guess I Need To Weigh Each Time For Awhile. Coffee Was Much Smoother & Richer. Thanks For All The Advice, My Friends; Keep It Coming!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #27
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Don't use distilled water. Some mineral content is need for flavor so says my co-worker who's super into coffee. Minerals help "pull" some of the coffee material that adds to flavor.

We are lucky in Boston that our tap water is very good and no need to filter or use bottled water
That's interesting. My tap water is no where near acceptable for coffee, so I use the RO faucet on the sink. I use that water for everything. But I don't think RO water has minerals in it.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #28
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:

No I use bottled (Filtered water)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I Always Use Filtered Water From My GE Filtered Ice/Water Dispenser From My Fridge. I Tried Actually "Weighing" My Coffee This Afternoon & Found Out 60Gm. Of The Particular Coffee I Was Using Was Only 4 Level Coffee Scoops!!! Guess I Need To Weigh Each Time For Awhile. Coffee Was Much Smoother & Richer. Thanks For All The Advice, My Friends; Keep It Coming!
I found out a long time ago measuring cups are not very accurate. I always go by weight.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
That's interesting. My tap water is no where near acceptable for coffee, so I use the RO faucet on the sink. I use that water for everything. But I don't think RO water has minerals in it.
RO water has minerals. Much much less than other sources but more than distilled and enough for coffee. This was at least the line we used along with some data when I sold culligan ro systems.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
RO water does not.

Having been a "water guy" (selling RO, iron treatment and softeners) and having some training and certs in it, I remember at least a little bit
People who will try to tell you "RO is bad for you" probably don't have a smidgen of actual knowledge or training, but may have read some creative intrawebz sites.

Filtered water is good. It will take out off flavors, some chemicals, turbidity, improving taste and aesthetics. Change those filters out, and sanitize the system if possible, at regular intervals if allowed by design of the equipment.

I use RO for all consumables, ice to cooking to coffee. I have been told my coffee doesn't suck, to paraphrase more than a compliment or two fired my way.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
RO water has minerals. Much much less than other sources but more than distilled and enough for coffee. This was at least the line we used along with some data when I sold culligan ro systems.
RO systems, in optimal conditions, are fed soft water, which, by definition, removes calcium carbonate, which is the hardness, or "minerals" most commonly referred to in water treatment jargon. Depending of the efficiency of the actual RO unit, the TDS levels are very very low, and comparable enough to distilled to make no essential difference.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I found out a long time ago measuring cups are not very accurate. I always go by weight.
Found Out The SCAA Coffee Guidelines Were 9-11Gm. Coffee/6Oz.Filtered Water. That Would Come Out To 63-77 Gm. For My Technivorm. "Sweet Marias" Site Recommended 68 Gm.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
RO systems, in optimal conditions, are fed soft water, which, by definition, removes calcium carbonate, which is the hardness, or "minerals" most commonly referred to in water treatment jargon. Depending of the efficiency of the actual RO unit, the TDS levels are very very low, and comparable enough to distilled to make no essential difference.
That's what I said, just less technical.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #35
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
How did making a pot of drip coffee get so involved?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
How did making a pot of drip coffee get so involved?
Right around the time you could spend $300 on a 'drip' machine like the technivorum that Greg bought.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #37
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Right around the time you could spend $300 on a 'drip' machine like the technivorum that Greg bought.
I have a decent espresso setup for over a decade and never had to jump through so many hoops... Maybe he is over thinking it?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
I have a decent espresso setup for over a decade and never had to jump through so many hoops... Maybe he is over thinking it?
Like guys "over think" their cigars?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

If I drank a lot of coffee, I'd probably spend the cash on a good machine. But since I only drink a cup or two at a time, the French press works great.

The only thing I've spent over $100 on is a breville smart grinder. I don't grind until the water gets to temp. That's about as technical as I get with my coffee.

I try to keep the KISS principle at the forefront of daily routine activities. But it did take effort/trial and error before figuring out the most efficient way to do things. I've even gone so far as to figuring out the quickest-moving traffic lane to drive in through different parts of town to spend the least amount of time driving.

Now that I think about it, efficiency ain't so simple after all...
Old 10-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #40
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
"True"! "68" Gm. Seemed A Little Strong This Morning With The Uncle Beanz. Think I'll Try The Low End @ 63 Gm.