Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Robulous78

Default 6.5 Lbs...

So I don't know how I really feel about this but ever since I read NuRon's Thread on his weight loss I decided I would give things a go and see what happens...

well 10 days in, on a full salad and 2 MetRx Meal replacement bars a day diet and I have lost a whopping 6.5 lbs... Somewhat underwhelming... But then again with no change in exercise I guess this is ok... I wouldn't mind adding an exercise component to this but I have a tough time with most regiments because of my size or because of Time... Anyone know anything simple I can do that isn't overly strenuous?

Maybe I should start at the beginning, I started at 331bs and am now to 324.5... Its my goal to get to 270 or 250 by the end of the year... diet has got to be my biggest issue... Followed by my weird work hours and lack of a physically demanding job... More or less I just wanted to see what has worked for the rest of you guys and what you would recommend for someone that is more or less a beginner on the whole "health-consciousness" scene...

Thanks Fellas....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6.5 Lbs...

Good luck. 300+ is not a good thing, unless you're an offensive lineman.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Ubiquitous
Living life at top speed

First Name: Travis
Trading: (6)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Active)
Ubiquitous is on a distinguished road

Hey brother, keep up the hard work. If you want any advice or help. let me know. In my line of work, I have to maintain a strict weight standard, and stay healthy. I may not have all the answers, but I can help you find some!
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtoadzwildride View Post
Hey brother, keep up the hard work. If you want any advice or help. let me know. In my line of work, I have to maintain a strict weight standard, and stay healthy. I may not have all the answers, but I can help you find some!
Might have to take you up on that Travis... Thanks for the offer...

Right now I am thinking I'll see how far the diet goes with some very light cardio (walking) and free weights thrown in... Once I hit this "plateau" I hear about I might try to have something designed for me...

What line of work are you in Travis?

Wait, answered that myself... Coast Guard...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Rob, dieting alone will only get you so far. Good to see you're going to do cardio. Make sure you're doing a good pace though. You need to get that heart rate up.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I'm doing a lifestyle change myself. We're lucky enough to have a nice treadmill, so I'm doing 30 minutes in the morning and 45-60 minutes at night 4 days per week. The other 3 days I do 45 minutes sometime during the day. I'm keeping calories to under 1,800 per day taking into account what I burn on the treadmill. So far, I'm down 13lbs in 30 days. Pants are getting looser and I feel especially good when I can get the treadmill in early in the AM. I started at 270lbs at 6'5'' and am shooting for lbs. My doctor wants to see 220 but my blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol, etc are all good. You can walk away the lbs but need to up the intensity and incline after the weight loss slows.

MCS
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Best Of Luck To All Of You! I Need To Lose 30# To "Comfortably" Get Into My Pants! Not Going To Buy Another Size Up! 10# So Far In 2 Weeks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Good work man! I went from about 290 to 197 in a little over 9 months, when i started 5 minutes on an eliptical machine made me almost throw up (oh and did i mention i smoked 1+ packs of smokes a day?). Yah I was a mess, by the 9 month mark I was doing an hour of cardio a day just because i freaking LIKED IT!

I would run across the parking lot because it was raining out and be like "omg I just RAN across the entire parking lot", not kidding keep it up it feels so good physically and just emotionally as you lose it .. oh and save up money you're going to need it for new clothes! (again i was amazed like i could buy jeans that were on sale that i could never buy before .. just little things that people take for granted made me feel so good.)
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Awesome Rob! Heck, 6.5 lbs in 10 days isn't bad man. Keep going. It takes a while for your metabolism to catch up as well, and even as you are loosing weight you will hit plateaus periodically. Keep at it, don't get discouraged and think about how much better you feel and how much better you will feel in a couple of months.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep at it Rob.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Keep it up man.

Do you drink sodas? If so, stop. You'll lose alot of weight by just drinking water instead of soda. All that sugar=lots of calories.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Rob!! Keep at it brotha!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Rob, check out my website at: http://OhioDan.TSFL.com/explore I am a Certified Health Coach with Take Shape For Life and I am currently coaching 16 people and they are all losing weight.

Take Shape for Life completely helps you change your diet so you eat healthier. You lose 2-5 pounds a week. I have lost a total of 113 pounds since July 5th. I would love to help you out
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Make sure to maintain your water intake. At your weight, that should be a gallon a day. Wear a pedometer & make sure you reach your daily goal before going to bed. Walk slightly faster than normal and stretch as much as you can.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Keep it up man.

Do you drink sodas? If so, stop. You'll lose alot of weight by just drinking water instead of soda. All that sugar=lots of calories.
This!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Rob, this is the way to go.....have you seen Dan? AMAZING transformation seeing is believing.

Good luck bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Rob, check out my website at: http://OhioDan.TSFL.com/explore I am a Certified Health Coach with Take Shape For Life and I am currently coaching 16 people and they are all losing weight.

Take Shape for Life completely helps you change your diet so you eat healthier. You lose 2-5 pounds a week. I have lost a total of 113 pounds since July 5th. I would love to help you out
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Rob, this is the way to go.....have you seen Dan? AMAZING transformation seeing is believing.

Good luck bro!
Thanks Mickey

Rob, here is a photo from a while ago. I need to do an updated picture. This was when I hit 100 pounds down:

elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Robulous78

Nice Dan... Hoping to make my own photoset someday...

So far so good... just not a lot of variety in taste... the bars come in only 3 flavors, Chewy cardboard, chocolate covered chewy carboard, and overly dry chewy peanut-butter...

No Soda's here, occasionally if I run out of coffee I'll drink a Coke Zero... As far as my coffee goes I use cream sparingly, I have gone ahead and made the switch from sweet Iced tea to just plain a$$ iced tea, and i don't eat anything 4 hours before bed because I hear that going to sleep on a meal is counter-productive...

i estimate on a tight day when I do well my caloric intake is 1500, on a day I am less tight between 1500-2000... but seeing as this itself is probably close to 50% or greater reduction in what I usually eat I feel encouraged...

Thanks for all the well wishes guys... I'll let ya know how it goes...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Keep it Rob. You should very proud. I'm doing the same thing and have lost a total of 54#s since July.

Keep it up !
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

Good luck on the weight loss. A few years back my girlfriend at the time, wife now, and I started changing our diets to try and eat healthier.

Some of the things that worked for me were cutting out fast food, I love it but it had to go. I also eat breakfast now which I didn't before. Nothing huge just a granola bar or something like that when I get to work.

A big thing was cooking most of our own meals. We don't use a lot of pre cooked things. I cook a lot of dinners and try and think about what I am putting in. One thing I have found is that if you are craving ground beef or a dish that calls for ground beef you can usualy substitute ground turkey and it is much healthier. If you don't like how bland that is you can add some warschester sauce to the ground turkey and it gives it that beef flavor in the dish that most people are looking for.

Biggest piece of advice, lots of fiber.
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote