Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Supplements

I'm starting to get back into the gym. I could afford to drop some weight for sure, but I'm also looking to gain more muscle. I'm wondering what supplements would work best with my goal. I'm want to drop weight, so I'm on a cardio program which includes lots of running. I want to gain muscle, so I'm hitting the weights again. Do I stick to just protein, or what else can help with my goal? I don't want to swell, just want lose weight and gain muscle. I can elaborate further, just ask. Thanks fellas.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Supplements

Protein, proper diet, proper rest will help you reach your goal. There are things on the market that could speed up the process but arent really necessary IMHO.

You could look into creatine if you choose so as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I started taking both Protein and creatine after my workouts to help with recovery. Like you, I'm not looking to get bulked up, but I do want some definition. I have noticed a difference after taking it. I don't feel sore the next day like I did before the supplements. I've recently incorporated a multi-vitamin daily. I do eat a varied, good diet but know I can't get it all, all the time.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
zemekone
im hungry...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (0)
ERdM
zemekone has disabled reputation

protien, glutamine, good multiple vitamin, and a gallon of water a day...
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemekone View Post
protien, glutamine, good multiple vitamin, and a gallon of water a day...
Can you recommend some good brands? Any good online sources? I have a GNC close to me, but if there are better sources out there, I'd buy from them.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

Bolivar Army (Active)

Protein I always recommend Optimum Nutrition.

www.A1supplements.com
www.lyonsproteinsource.com
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Im using the Optimum Nutrition stuff right now. The double rich chocolate protein tastes really good. Check out Amazon for the best prices.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

Bolivar Army (Active)

Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
ChicagoWhiteSox

Is 4 grams of Glut a good amount? It looks like that is what's in the ON brand.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I use the Syntha-6 Protein, I've had maybe 5-6 kinds but these to me taste the best. I think I had Vanilla Ice cream or something like that.

I also used the Cellmass for a bit and like the combination. Grape was the one I tried, pretty damn good.

I need to order more.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I use the Syntha-6 Protein, I've had maybe 5-6 kinds but these to me taste the best. I think I had Vanilla Ice cream or something like that.
I like BSN Syntha-6 as well. If I'm not mistaken, it has glutamine already in the product. As part of my recovery, I do an Endurox (Accelerade, I think) + BCAA shake (I just use the GNC brand.) This helps my old muscles, can definitely feel the difference without it.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
ChicagoWhiteSox

Well I've done a bit of reading/research last night. I will be getting all my stuff from O.N.. My whey, glut, bcaa, and my multi vit.

I was confused a bit on the Amino Energy from ON and also the BCAA from them. Does the Amino Energy contain the same quantity of bcaa's as the regular bcaa powder from ON? Either way, I don't really need the extra caffeine, so I'm just getting the regular BCAA powder.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

No, I believe the Amino Energy loses some of the BCAAs with the other ingredients. I was given a free sample a month or so ago, and have been using it since then before hockey games. If you don't need the boost, stick to the regular BCAAs, Nate.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
No, I believe the Amino Energy loses some of the BCAAs with the other ingredients. I was given a free sample a month or so ago, and have been using it since then before hockey games. If you don't need the boost, stick to the regular BCAAs, Nate.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

ON products are a bit more expensive than others in the market, but people rave about the quality.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I love the Whey protein, and have had good luck with the BCAAs and creatine. I wouldn't use the Amino Energy so much before lifting (prefer Hemo-Rage, White Fllod or Jack3d), but it is good for hockey. Pretty good quality across the board.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

I use Orange Triad.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
zemekone
im hungry...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (0)
ERdM
zemekone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Is 4 grams of Glut a good amount? It looks like that is what's in the ON brand.
you can take up to 30g-40g a day...
Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post

You could look into creatine if you choose so as well.
I would avoid creatine at all cost. Part of my Exercise Physiology degree was a research study on this stuff specificly. Your body already produces creatine and if you have a good diet it produces enough for your body. By taking extra you are telling your body not to produce it. Most brands tell you to take X amount which is 100% of daily recomended amout, others are higher than 100%. Either way if you intake 100% and your body is making some, then you are literally pissing the rest away, which is putting strain on your kindeys. The studies had shown mayn cases where the kidneys were so over loaded that they had significant damage and were approaching failure. And when the person stopped taking creatine your body did not start making creatine (not a good thing) for "an extended period of time (it's been wa while since I did the research, don't remember the mean time frame)

So I guess my advice would be eat a balanced diet, and do not take supplements that say that it's 100% or higher of the daily dose. You will either just piss it out or it will store in your body no one realy knows what that will cause in the future yet.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I would be curious to see these studies where "many cases where the kidneys were so over loaded that they had significant damage and were approaching failure.", due to creatine supplementation. I have read several studies, and this seems one of the more extreme that I have heard of.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Yes! my kinda post! I was always the skinniest kid growing up. When I joined the CG, I started working out 3-5 times a week. In about 10 months, my weight has jumped from 165 pounds to 191 pounds, and I'm exactly 6 feet tall. I'm pretty pleased with the results, and am striving to build even more muscle...hopefully around 200-210.

You just gotta stay motivated and dedicatd to a routine, and I was ale to do that by going to the gym with someone who shared a similar goal. My secret, least lots, but eat healthy. Your body needs lots of carbs and proteins to be able to recover and build muscle properly, but 50g of carbs from a soda is certainly not the same as 50g of carbs from say, whole wheat pasta. Sleep is a big thing too, you build muscle at night when you sleep, not in the gym.

I've been taking mass gainers (true mass by ON) to up my calorie intake. Since I'm so active, my physician said consuming up to 4500 calories in a single day is absolutely necessary.

Additionally, I've enjoyed taking whey protein isolate/concentrate from brands like myoplex and ON. They taste relatively good, so you don't have to hold your nose when you knock it back after the gym! If you want to build muscle, dietologists recommend 0.9- 1.4 grams per pound per day (not all at once though)

Creatine. It may get a bad rep, but I've never had any problems with it it terms of health. There a lot of myths surround it, but as long as you talk to your doctor, you should be fine. I recommend about 5 grams, twice per day ( before and after workout). Drink lots of water because it allows your cells to expand and retain water. Prosource brand creatine is 99.9% pure, and costs about $13 for 100 servings!

Those are my three main supplements. I've dabbled in the world of expensive preworkout supplements, but I've found that the main ingredients are really Arginine, Caffeine, and beta-alanine. I supplement these ingredients before a workout in pill form because they are WAY cheaper than buying something like NO-Xplode.

Sorry for the long post! But I hope this helps! Feel free to personal message me whenever if you have questions. I'm no expert, but I've read many books, taken the classes, and trying stuff out on my own, so I've found what works and doesn't for me. Best of luck!!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote