Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #21
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Signed up for my first 5K Run

Congrats Bob. Not to shabby time either. I was "volunteered" into doing a 5k last year and actually liked it alot. It gave me a great sense of accomplishment just to know i could do it.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
Congrats Bob. Not to shabby time either. I was "volunteered" into doing a 5k last year and actually liked it alot. It gave me a great sense of accomplishment just to know i could do it.
Yep, that was a big factor for me too. I think I"ll start shooting for 10K's next year.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Ran my second 5K today. Bettered my first time by a little. Came in at 27:37.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #24
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Bought some new shoes today as my first set were finally wearing out after 5-6 months of use. Got a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. Wow, what a nice fit/feel. I tried on these first, plus some New Balance and Saucony's, but I knew right away the Brooks were the one. Went out and did 4.52 miles in just over 41mins to break them in. Now to keep going a little further every day. The plan is to run a 10k in the spring, then who knows where (half marathon maybe?).
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
goomer

Looks like you're making great progress! Keep going and you'll be running ultra's.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #26
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Bought some new shoes today as my first set were finally wearing out after 5-6 months of use. Got a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. Wow, what a nice fit/feel. I tried on these first, plus some New Balance and Saucony's, but I knew right away the Brooks were the one. Went out and did 4.52 miles in just over 41mins to break them in. Now to keep going a little further every day. The plan is to run a 10k in the spring, then who knows where (half marathon maybe?).
Very nice shoes. I have a pair too, but now I mostly wear minimalist shoes. Go between Vibrams and New Balance Minimus
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Not sure if I could run in shoes like that. Had enough problems with the ankle.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I think you owe it to the healthcare system in the US to live a less stressful life on that ankle. I do not mean to
be the only non-congratulator, but you see the medical device people's commercials where the guy is playing
tennis on his new hip, and I think that's BS. If you have a part put in you or a critical part of your body put
back together from parts and bits, you owe it to yourself to take it a little easier from here on out. not to retire
from life, but to use you ankle a little smarter. To me that is not running for excercise. Just my opinion
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Believe me Brad, I'm watching how my ankle responds to the running. So far it's been good, mostly due to the weight loss taking stress off the ankle. Luckily I've only had to have a few surgeries on it to remove bone chips. No pins, etc yet and hope to never have to. Having invested in good shoes will also help limit any further injury. My old set was middle of the road and show it as I got about 300 miles out of them.

Right now though after many years of being a couch potato, I'm relishing in the fact that I can run as far as I've been able to.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #30
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Congrats Bob!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Not sure if I could run in shoes like that. Had enough problems with the ankle.
Oh they definitely are not for everyone. If you don't strike with the ball of your foot I imagine they would be painful.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #32
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Congrats Bob!!!
Thanks Taki.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #33
BnBTobacco

Good job, Bob! Looking forward to hear your next run.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #34
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Ended up buying a treadmill yesterday. Made up my mind after dodging idiots the last few runs outside. Middle of the bright sunny day and I nearly got hit by some women who barely yielded for the stop sign.

After much research I bought the Precor 9.23. Got it on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods. Set it up today, got the Tv setup and went for a run. New PB for a 5K, 26:36. This should help me get ready for a 10k come spring. Did manage to run that far on Monday when I wanted to go for time and did exactly 60mins.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #35
goomer

I read recently that less than 5% of Americans over the age of 20 jog on a regular basis. Far less than that 5% actually compete in a race of any kind. If you think about it in percentage terms, you're probably in the top 2% of all Americans at running. Congrats!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #36
dom1n8r

Quote:
Ohhh yes...the "half." Ran one in '09. The physical side isn't too bad when you train-up (don't get me wrong, it will hurt), but the mental part surprised me. You're running for so long and your mind needs a way to stay occupied. I remember feeling really good up to the 10.5 mark, then I asked myself, "What the **** am I doing this for?" Then the crowd showed up with about 1.5 to go and I just "rode" them in...lol. You can get it done Bob, just put the work in!!!

D
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #37
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks Andre. I know what you mean about the mental part. I'm experiencing that right now trying to get past the hour mark, but I'm working on it.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #38
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Reviving an old thread of mine. Ran my first official 5k race this year. Set a new PR 24:41. Not bad for an old fart.