Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Signed up for my first 5K Run

A friend asked me earlier this year when I started walking if I'd do a 5K. I figured I'd at least walk it, not sure about running on a 4-time surgically repaired ankle. Fast forward about 6 months and I"m now regularly running. Last night I did 2.3 miles after doing a 45min cardio workout. So another friend of mine posted something on FB about a couple 5K's in the area, one the day before Halloween. The registration and check is in the mail. Can't wait. This was actually the first goal I set with my CDE after I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I hadn't officially done one but have walked many times over 3.2 miles. Now that my ankle can take the exertion of running I"m going to run the entire thing. Who knows, maybe I'll look at 10K's and possibly a half marathon for next year. Gotta keep setting those goals.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Signed up for my first 5K Run

Congrats Bob!!!

Wish I had that kind of motivation!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Bob. When I retired from the Army...I KNEW my running days were over.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Good luck I'm sure you'll do great.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Congrats, Bob, kick some arse!

Only way I would run 5K is if there was a free, all-you-can-eat smorgasboard at the finish line.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Good luck! You should be very proud of yourself! (I'm still in the 5K Walk stage of life -- not sure if I am going to graduate to running anytime soon )

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

OH YEAHHHH! You will love it. The buzz and atmosphere around the race cannot be beat. The nervousness before it starts and the party afterwards are always a good time.

Enjoy!
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the support guys. In case any of you are interested in getting in shape to run a 5k, check out this website. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I see my registration check was cashed, so it's officially on. Now to figure out a costume to wear for the run.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Only way I would run 5K is if there was a free, all-you-can-eat smorgasboard at the finish line.
Pops if you ever find that 5K I'll be right there next to ya

Congratulations Bob. Best of luck to you bro. Give me the word and I'll be waiting at the finish line with cigars
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Hmm, hadn't thought about a cigar for the finish. That would be funny.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

EXCELLENT! Signing up is 75% of the battle IMO.... It is something I am always having to do. No event, usually means no training on anything but the bike for me....

I look forward to hearing how it goes!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Just got back from running my first official 5K run. What a blast. This was the Big House, Big Heart run in Ann Arbor, MI. You start/end at Michigan Stadium, with the end coming down the tunnel onto the field, then across the 50 yd line. I"m hooked. It helped alsoto have the nice motivation in front of me. Whomever created the skin tight running pants women wear, I'd like to thank that person.

Official times will be posted later today. I think I'm somewhere around the 30min mark.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Pops if you ever find that 5K I'll be right there next to ya

Congratulations Bob. Best of luck to you bro. Give me the word and I'll be waiting at the finish line with cigars
Race both of you for some cigars.....
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Just got back from running my first official 5K run. What a blast. This was the Big House, Big Heart run in Ann Arbor, MI. You start/end at Michigan Stadium, with the end coming down the tunnel onto the field, then across the 50 yd line. I"m hooked. It helped alsoto have the nice motivation in front of me. Whomever created the skin tight running pants women wear, I'd like to thank that person.

Official times will be posted later today. I think I'm somewhere around the 30min mark.
Congrats!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Good luck Bob
Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Congrats, I recently ran a 5K about a month ago. I wasn't really competing, I was only there as moral support for my wifey. I just went in cold without any training or practice runs at all. I'm not in shape whatsoever, but really good at pushing myself when there's competition.

I jogged the first 1/3, mixed walk/jog the 2/3, and walked the last 1/3. One thing that messed me up was they had markers along the way that said "1", "2", "3". I jogged to the "1" and figured that was 1km instead of 1 mile. So psychologically I was giving up by the time I was at the "2" since I thought that was 2km's instead of 2 miles (had I known I was nearly done at that point, I would have jogged the last mile+).

Next time, if I don't get practice time beforehand, I'd like to walk it with a cigar in hand and cup of scotch or rum. LOL
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Here's the official timing results.

Age group - 75 out off 259 28:03.6 9:03/M
Overall - 1352 out of 6144

Guess it pays to follow those college coeds.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Bob!!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

JEEZ....thats actually a damn good pace.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote