Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Taxes question

As a pastor, I am self-employed and so I pay all my own taxes, nothing is withheld. I also pay both halves of Social Security. So, I know just how much my total tax bill costs. It is kind of ovewhelming to sit back and see what you pay.

Anyway, there have been a couple people lately (on this board, another, and in my live conversations) who have talked about the large income tax returns they will soon be receiving.

My question is, why?

Here's my thinking. I'd like to hear if I am wrong, of if I do understand things correctly. You see, I'd rather pay in on April 15, than receive a return of a $1,000 or more dollars. If I do it correctly, I am a couple hundred $$ one way or the others.

Anyway, my thinking is this. It is my money - whether I have it on payday or get it back later. If I get a rebate, it isn't really a rebate - it is simply returning to me what is already mine.

What is more, if I come up short and the IRS discovers that I missed a payment or some such, I am charged incredible interest on the money that I owe.

Yet, when the government uses my $$ all year, and at the end of the year gives me my money back, how come they don't pay me any interest?

If I want a rebat, wouldn't it be wiser to get the fewest deductions possible, then take a percentage of every paycheck and put it in some sort of intereste bearing account - then, when I'd normally get a tax return, I'll have even more money there, as the intereste will also be mine?

Am I screwed up, or does everybody like the feel of IRS using KY Jelly? Or is there something else I am missing?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taxes question

You pretty much summed up my feelings.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Just make sure you get your estimates correct or you could lose all that income you make with your investments with penalties and interest from Uncle Sam.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

I think the reason a lot of people do that is because of the lack of self control. Basically, they would spend that money and then when the taxes are due, wouldn't be able to pay.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
Just make sure you get your estimates correct or you could lose all that income you make with your investments with penalties and interest from Uncle Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I think the reason a lot of people do that is because of the lack of self control. Basically, they would spend that money and then when the taxes are due, wouldn't be able to pay.
Yes. your estimates better be accurate, but a couple years of overpayment allows you to get it figured out.

Maybe some people need to learn a little discipline.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I pretty much agree with you Rev. I would rather have through the year than get a big refund. I do 10-99 work aside from my full time job and usually have to pay in anyway.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

First Name: Dave
Trading: (35)
HUpmann
DAFU will become famous soon enoughDAFU will become famous soon enough

Why would it be any better to overpay for a couple of years than to get a refund back at the end of the year. Do you get interest credits for overpayments?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

In our current state of affairs its hard to save money. Claiming 0 on a W-2 is an easy method to save money for a lump sum at the beginning of the new year. Not only that, but since we get credits and deductions on tuition payments and loan interest, it inflates our refund even higher that what might of been a $1000 or less refund.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
As a pastor, I am self-employed and so I pay all my own taxes, nothing is withheld. I also pay both halves of Social Security. So, I know just how much my total tax bill costs. It is kind of ovewhelming to sit back and see what you pay.

Anyway, there have been a couple people lately (on this board, another, and in my live conversations) who have talked about the large income tax returns they will soon be receiving.

My question is, why?

Here's my thinking. I'd like to hear if I am wrong, of if I do understand things correctly. You see, I'd rather pay in on April 15, than receive a return of a $1,000 or more dollars. If I do it correctly, I am a couple hundred $$ one way or the others.

Anyway, my thinking is this. It is my money - whether I have it on payday or get it back later. If I get a rebate, it isn't really a rebate - it is simply returning to me what is already mine.

What is more, if I come up short and the IRS discovers that I missed a payment or some such, I am charged incredible interest on the money that I owe.

Yet, when the government uses my $$ all year, and at the end of the year gives me my money back, how come they don't pay me any interest?

If I want a rebat, wouldn't it be wiser to get the fewest deductions possible, then take a percentage of every paycheck and put it in some sort of intereste bearing account - then, when I'd normally get a tax return, I'll have even more money there, as the intereste will also be mine?

Am I screwed up, or does everybody like the feel of IRS using KY Jelly? Or is there something else I am missing?

I worked 16 years in this industry, and you'd be surprised Rev.

You are not screwed up.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFU View Post
Why would it be any better to overpay for a couple of years than to get a refund back at the end of the year. Do you get interest credits for overpayments?
If you pay your own taxes and don't want to have to come up with a large some on April 15, the first couple years you are doing it, you overpay - till you get it figured out. You get a refund or you apply your overpayment to the next year's taxes. The government does not pay you any interest.

If you have a good accountant help you figure out your estimated payments as you are going along, you don't need to overpay.

Last year (2008) we had an unexpected expense that turned out to be deductible - so we overpaid like $750 in federal taxes as it messed up our estimated payment. That was an incredible amount, at least to my tastes. I was applied to our first payment toward 2009 taxes. I hade one year that I underpaid badly (at least to my attitude), it was like $400 combined between federal and state. I have an account I put money in, just for that - in case. BUT, it is gaining interest for me. And if I don't need it, shazam - I take it out and use it - or put it in the boys' college funds.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
In our current state of affairs its hard to save money. Claiming 0 on a W-2 is an easy method to save money for a lump sum at the beginning of the new year. Not only that, but since we get credits and deductions on tuition payments and loan interest, it inflates our refund even higher that what might of been a $1000 or less refund.
So you income tax return is you savings plan? You don't get any interest!

Why don't you open an account and just put $20, $25, $30, or you name your amount in it each pay period. Throw out the deposit slips. Don't keep a ledger. Don't even look at it. When you want it at the beginning of the year, there it will be. PLUS INTEREST!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

The OP summed up my feelings. I need to take a little more out of my check though...I end up owing quite a bit each year. I'd rather break even!
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road

Rev,

I'm with you on this. My goal is to always be near even, or to owe a bit come tax time. Why give the govt. an interest free loan?
Hot Stuff x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

First Name: Dave
Trading: (35)
HUpmann
DAFU will become famous soon enoughDAFU will become famous soon enough

I can certainly see the need for intense scrutiny of your taxes as someone who is self-employed. The tax system is complicated and unforgiving and I can emphasize with anyone who is, or has had difficulties with the IRS.
For myself it's pretty easy to figure my deductions and come close to the correct number at the end of the year. I prefer to be on the positive side for various reasons and find the penalty to be negligible.
I also think some use the refund as discretionary income that may be difficulty justifying paycheck to paycheck. That might mean some may have some extra cigars on order at this time of year. But hey..................at least they're not being charged on a CC that might not be paid right away.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

A lot of it also depends on how stable your income is. If you have wide swings, it's a little harder to gauge.

Last year we paid a substantial amount. I had a large capital gain in '08 that was unexpected, and had to cough up some money.

Then my wife and I both took early retirement offers, and our income for '09 dropped considerably. As a result, we have a good refund coming this year.

So for two years, I blew what I had estimated our liability to be.

Hopefully this year I can hit it closer so I don't have either a big payment or a big refund due. But the wife is making noise about going back to work, so who knows?
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Know What You're Saying, Reverend, & I Agree With You, But In My Eyes It's Like A "Bonus".
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I'm with you Todd, I don't get it either. Regardless as to self employed or working for a company - it's still giving your money away for free. I know a guy who gets between 5,000 and 6,000 a year as a tax return???? I begged him to give it to me during the year and I would give him his $5.000 in Jan. My goal +/- $250. There are a few items like capitol gains from my little mutual funds that are hard to control. The last 8 years have been just about the same in that $500 swing.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Cigary

Quote:

Why don't you open an account and just put $20, $25, $30, or you name your amount in it each pay period. Throw out the deposit slips. Don't keep a ledger. Don't even look at it. When you want it at the beginning of the year, there it will be. PLUS INTEREST!!!

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff x View Post
Rev,

I'm with you on this. My goal is to always be near even, or to owe a bit come tax time. Why give the govt. an interest free loan?
And again I say Amen!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Pros of your method.... I get a whopping 2$ interest over the course of the year in my savings accounts. Excuse me while I buy a cheeseburger.

Cons of your method. I have access to the money throughout the entire year.

And your method is assuming I have a steady paycheck, which I don't. I worked 6 months last year. Went to school the other 6 months. The 6 months I was working, I was saving for a wedding, to which we had to file jointly this tax return, which was another unknown of how things were going to pan out with our return. Needless to say, it was easier to claim 0.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Pros of your method.... I get a whopping 2$ interest over the course of the year in my savings accounts. Excuse me while I buy a cheeseburger.

Cons of your method. I have access to the money throughout the entire year.

And your method is assuming I have a steady paycheck, which I don't. I worked 6 months last year. Went to school the other 6 months. The 6 months I was working, I was saving for a wedding, to which we had to file jointly this tax return, which was another unknown of how things were going to pan out with our return. Needless to say, it was easier to claim 0.
Don't think I'm referring to you. In college I did the same thing, as I live paycheck to paycheck. I'm speaking of the guys (and/or gals and/or couples) who brag about the $5-$10K refund check.

$5k at simple intrest in a savings account is a bit more than a cheeseburger. Put into a money market is even more. A CD (that allows you to add throughout the year) even more. And, put it in a mutual fund is even more.