Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 03-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default n00b here

I recently started grinding whole bean and brewing in a Bodum French Press. It's gotten me interested in a better grinder and home roasting. I'm inclined to get a Hario manual grinder as I don't drink but one 16 oz cup per day. I'm kicking around a few ideas for roasting including air poppers and a Whirley Pop so I can get started on the cheap.

I usually prefer darker roasts like French or Espresso roasts so far. Any suggestions on beans to try? Also, any feedback on my ideas for home roasting and/or grinders? Keep in mind I like cheap and manual doesn't bother me a bit.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: n00b here

I used a Whirley pop for roasting. Get one with metal gears if you can. Don't roast inside. Sweet Maria's has a beginners green bean sampler, or at least they used too, that will give you a variety for a good price. Check them and Unclebeanz (Novasurf) sites for good info and deals. Mister Moo also has some good info on getting started. The forum on here is very useful.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'll second SM's. They do a good job roasting all there beans at different levels, and telling you in the description which roasts work best for that bean. I've found their Monkey Blend makes a good drip coffee even though it's intended for espresso.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Uncle Beanz!!! I just got in two of his espresso roasts and they are fantastic. His single origin coffees are great too. I like him better than Sweet Maria's.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. My birthday is coming up and I shot a link to the Sweet Maria's green sampler to my wife before I saw the replies here. I'll check out the sites mentioned as well.

I am leaning toward the Hario Skerton manual grinder and the Whirley Pop stainless model which has metal gears. It's twice the price of the aluminum one with nylon gears but it makes sense to get the one that will last. I've seen some cool vintage drum roasters that ran on alcohol for heat. I wish I could find one that would work over a gas stove or on a grill. I know you can McGuyver one up but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, spending twice what it would cost to buy one.

I'll check out Unclebeanz for beans too. Thanks guys I'll let you know once I have some gear on hand.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Mike, also check out Klatch Coffee, Burman Coffee and Bodhi Leaf Traders for beans.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
Will herf for food

VR

Will do, thanks Bob. It'll be a bit before I have my hands on any new gear or supplies but I'll update as soon as I can.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
Will herf for food

VR

I got a Hario Skerton manual grinder for my birthday. It seems great so far, 1 grind in.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Will herf for food

VR

I picked up some Ethiopia-Yirgacheffe from "Smokin'Beans" on Amazon. I still plan on getting the sampler from SM and trying some of the other suggested green coffee providers.

http://www.amazon.com/SmokinBeans-Un.../dp/B00LV2PGAA

I have two roasts in with my WhirleyPop. In the first I tried to aim for a medium roast and not to burn anything. I pulled them off shortly after first crack. The flavor was OK but dominated by acidity, at least for me. Again I prefer darker roasts. So, on my second attempt I aimed for just after second crack. It seems I aimed well as my second batch is right up my alley. I'm really enjoying it both French pressed and cold brewed. Since I only go though about 1/2 lb per week, I have plenty for now. I'll likely branch out a bit with some other kinds once our crazy life settles down at home. What I mean is the Mrs is expecting and at full term. Any day now!