Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough
Default lunch ideas and Juicing

I am looking into eating better for lunch and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. I work in construction, so I don't have a set schedule or don't always have access to heating things up. I'm getting tired of chicken salads and fruits/ veggies.

I have been considering and researching juicing a couple days a week followed with a health dinner. So I'm just curious if anyone has any alternate healthier lunch ideas. Or if anyone has any experience with juicing i would love to hear them too.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Re: lunch ideas and Juicing

I tried juicing for a couple of weeks, and I felt very weak. I didn't want to lift and when I did I just felt I couldn't lift as heavy as I was used too. You being in construction may not want that. That's just me though and we are all different. I was and still ok on fruits and salad with chicken breast.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
I am looking into eating better for lunch and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. I work in construction, so I don't have a set schedule or don't always have access to heating things up. I'm getting tired of chicken salads and fruits/ veggies.

I have been considering and researching juicing a couple days a week followed with a health dinner. So I'm just curious if anyone has any alternate healthier lunch ideas. Or if anyone has any experience with juicing i would love to hear them too.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hey Andrew. If you're working construction, I do not recommend juicing just because you're not eating enough calories, same goes for salad and fruit. I'm assuming you're constantly on your feet and working hard. If you're not eating enough calories you're going to feel sluggish and crappy.

Throw a couple bagels or some sort of carbohydrates to help fuel your day.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Since working out (down almost 50 pounds) I have really enjoyed KIND bars, they are great energy and max out at about 200cal depending on which type, I find they not only taste really freaking good they contribute to my energy throughout the day, not saying it would replace lunch but if you eat something smaller at lunch one of these would be a great addition an hour or two after you eat.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go, brother...
Stanley Wide-mouth Thermos.
I carried that and my Stanley coffee thermos for years. I'd preheat it with hot tap water or boiling water, then heat up whatever I wanted to put in it.
When you're working 200 feet up in 10 degree weather, it sure is nice to go to the trailer and have hot roast beef, taters and carrots.
You can put anything in there. Lasagna, Spaghetti, soup, really anything you eat hot. And it stays hot 100% of the time. Sometimes TOO hot.
You'll fall in love. Seriously.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

I recently started drinking Vega One meal replacement shakes. They taste great, and are made with pea protein instead of soy. More importantly they have a massive amount of fruits and veggies in them to get the nutrients you need. I think it would be a great option and easier than juicing.

However, like the other guys said, it may not provide enough calories. But it certainly will get you better nutrients.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Plus one on the KIND bars. I like the Cliff Builder bars. A lot of times, my meal replacement shake is a half cup oatmeal, scoop of protein and a banana. Blend it up with water and BAM! I use a cheeeeaaap little mini blender from hamilton beach. Plugs into the power inverter in my car.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If you start juicing, consider making carrot pulp muffins and if you want save your juice, you'll need to add ascorbic acid to if you don't drink immediately. Another tasty healthy snack is kale chips. Buy the washed and cut kale, toss with an italian style dressing or seasoned & thinned out tahnini and then dehydrate.

If you get into smoothies and such, add chia seeds, flax seeds, or something else for fiber and protein. If not, you'll get hungry a lot sooner and everyone can benefit from the fiber.

Lots of opinions of juicers. For me, Champion juicers are the one to buy. Iconic, like owning a Le Creuset pot...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
big a
Feeling at Home

RyJ

Lots of good info I was looking for. Thanks everyone. As for juicing not being enough calories, I plan add some other forms of calories such as the energy/ protein bars. on some days with the work I'm doing being so physical, I feel full after 3 chicken tenderloins and some fruit/ veggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Since working out (down almost 50 pounds) I have really enjoyed KIND bars, they are great energy and max out at about 200cal depending on which type, I find they not only taste really freaking good they contribute to my energy throughout the day, not saying it would replace lunch but if you eat something smaller at lunch one of these would be a great addition an hour or two after you eat.
I will have to look into these to add on the days I try juicing. I recently just pick up whatever bars are on sale that week. I don't recall seeing any KIND bars yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Here ya go, brother...
Stanley Wide-mouth Thermos.
I carried that and my Stanley coffee thermos for years. I'd preheat it with hot tap water or boiling water, then heat up whatever I wanted to put in it.
When you're working 200 feet up in 10 degree weather, it sure is nice to go to the trailer and have hot roast beef, taters and carrots.
You can put anything in there. Lasagna, Spaghetti, soup, really anything you eat hot. And it stays hot 100% of the time. Sometimes TOO hot.
You'll fall in love. Seriously.
I for the life of me cannot figure out how I didn't think of the thermos. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll look into picking this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
I recently started drinking Vega One meal replacement shakes. They taste great, and are made with pea protein instead of soy. More importantly they have a massive amount of fruits and veggies in them to get the nutrients you need. I think it would be a great option and easier than juicing.

However, like the other guys said, it may not provide enough calories. But it certainly will get you better nutrients.
Are these something you pick up locally or only online? I'll have to do some research on these.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
big a
Feeling at Home

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
If you start juicing, consider making carrot pulp muffins and if you want save your juice, you'll need to add ascorbic acid to if you don't drink immediately. Another tasty healthy snack is kale chips. Buy the washed and cut kale, toss with an italian style dressing or seasoned & thinned out tahnini and then dehydrate.

If you get into smoothies and such, add chia seeds, flax seeds, or something else for fiber and protein. If not, you'll get hungry a lot sooner and everyone can benefit from the fiber.

Lots of opinions of juicers. For me, Champion juicers are the one to buy. Iconic, like owning a Le Creuset pot...
You think I need to add the acid if I plan to drink the juice within 24-48 hours of making it? I will have to look into the pulp muffins. I'm guessing there are plenty of receipts for this online?

I went with the breville to start. It seems like a decent starter juicer without too much $ in the game. If I end up liking and sticking with juicing, I'll be sure to check the champion out.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I for the life of me cannot figure out how I didn't think of the thermos. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll look into picking this up.
There's two sizes at that Amazon link. Oddly, the larger one is cheaper.
I think Kind bars are everywhere. We have them in our pantry. If you can't find them locally, they're probably cheaper on Amazon anyways.
Sorry for whoring Amazon, but that's where we buy everything.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
I will have to look into these to add on the days I try juicing. I recently just pick up whatever bars are on sale that week. I don't recall seeing any KIND bars yet.
Most every grocery has them, here they go 4 for $5 so they aren't even that expensive, I'm into the dark chocolate / peanut butter ones.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You think I need to add the acid if I plan to drink the juice within 24-48 hours of making it? I will have to look into the pulp muffins. I'm guessing there are plenty of receipts for this online?

I went with the breville to start. It seems like a decent starter juicer without too much $ in the game. If I end up liking and sticking with juicing, I'll be sure to check the champion out.
Yes, for sure you will need the acid if you plan to drink even 2 hours after. Vitamins "escape" almost immediately. I am not scientist, so I can't explain why this happens.

I bought my Champion juicier, used on Craigslist for like $100. They are lifetime machines, so no worry on how old they are. The base is like a bench grinder.

I don't know how much better it'll be than what you have, but the Champion is what made juicing what it is today... Looks cool on the kitchen counter too.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Lots of good info I was looking for. Thanks everyone. As for juicing not being enough calories, I plan add some other forms of calories such as the energy/ protein bars. on some days with the work I'm doing being so physical, I feel full after 3 chicken tenderloins and some fruit/ veggies.

Are these something you pick up locally or only online? I'll have to do some research on these.

I've been buying it online at Amazon, but you can get it local at a whole foods, but it is wayyyyy expensive. They do have single serving pouches so you can give it a try before committing to an entire can.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote