Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
badbriar

Default Grinder question

Why a burr grinder rather than a blade grinder? My old blade grinder can do either a very fine grind or a more coarse type grind, just adjusting the time! My coffee comes out strong and has good flavor?
R
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Grinder question

Consistency. Heat. If you are happy and don't feel you need a reason, don't change.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

A blade grinder chops. You may have one capable of chopping the coffee pretty fine, but you still have little chopped pieces.

A burr grinder grinds. When I set mine on the finest setting, the coffee comes out almost powder like.

My burr grinder is old and middle of the road. Many would probably tell me I should go out and drop a few hundred on a super duper muy expensive burr grinder. But like you, I'm in a happy place. For my needs and tastes, what I have is fine.

It just depends on how fine and consistent you feel you need to go. If you're happy with your blade grinder, I wouldn't let others convince you to be unhappy.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
A blade grinder chops. You may have one capable of chopping the coffee pretty fine, but you still have little chopped pieces.

A burr grinder grinds. When I set mine on the finest setting, the coffee comes out almost powder like.

My burr grinder is old and middle of the road. Many would probably tell me I should go out and drop a few hundred on a super duper muy expensive burr grinder. But like you, I'm in a happy place. For my needs and tastes, what I have is fine.

It just depends on how fine and consistent you feel you need to go. If you're happy with your blade grinder, I wouldn't let others convince you to be unhappy.
Very true.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

A burr gives you uniform coffee. There are those among us who are knowledgeable of the math and chemistry of such things so before I misspeak, look into these sites.

http://www.mpechicago.com/coffee/ima...ding_nov03.pdf

http://coffeechemistry.com/grinding/...damentals.html
Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Agree with all that if happy, that is all that counts.
However, there is a major difference you won't know or appreciate until you see it first hand.
For espresso, burr all the way.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
A burr gives you uniform coffee. There are those among us who are knowledgeable of the math and chemistry of such things so before I misspeak, look into these sites.

http://www.mpechicago.com/coffee/ima...ding_nov03.pdf

http://coffeechemistry.com/grinding/...damentals.html
Not necessarily. I've got a burr grinder (not a cheap one mind you but the sub $350-500 it takes to hit get the better grinders) that for a course grind would put out so much of a powder that it would clog the filter for cold brewing.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Not necessarily. I've got a burr grinder (not a cheap one mind you but the sub $350-500 it takes to hit get the better grinders) that for a course grind would put out so much of a powder that it would clog the filter for cold brewing.
Just bought a baratza virtuoso that was $220 and it is supposed to perform very well across a wide range of grind types, including espresso. Will let you know if the sub $350 statement is actually true after a few days of chemex brews.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Okay so I don't cold brew and I use a stainless Abel Kone filter, but I'm happy to report the virtuoso does a fine job. Visually, there is no noticeable dust or clumping and the grind is very uniform. There is some dust, however, because I can see it at the end of my pour. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the flow rate of the Kone though. Since I don't typically cold brew ymmv, but I don't see why that would make a big difference.

I'm looking forward to doing a finer grind for my moka pot.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote