Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation
Default Re: Corretto roaster, or how to start roasting for less than $100.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
LOL!

Thanks for the tips ted. There's a fella from up north on youtube who recommended a krups and a cruisinart and showed a nice little sharpening mod to make them even better. I may go for one of them. Part of me wants to save money and buy a Skerton, but I've read too many bad things about its coarse consistency and bushings wearing out around the shaft...

I've also contemplated making a drum roaster out of a couple big ass colanders and some sort of fire element. Shouldn't too difficult since I have the means to weld something together.
A skerton sounds like a great idea until you crank that M.F. about 10,000 times, and then you hate it.

I have a vintage hand grinder that I hate with a passion. It makes a great grind, but I hate it.

My guess is krups or cuisinart will get the job done. Just expect to upgrade should you want to dabble in espresso / turkish / pour-over. Hell, anything listed as a 'burr grinder' on buy.com, w00t, groupon, living social, whatever should do the job. That way you're not blowing your budget.

A 'decent' grinder will run about $175 to start, and the sky is the limit. If you're gonna go cheap now, might as well go really cheap. Just my

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
He showed me a picture last Thursday. A converted toaster oven. Looked pretty cool. I'll talk to him about maybe posting something, Your Highness.
Sounds just like a Behmor! I love DIY.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

Thanks Rick,

I started a thread on my roaster to not distract from Ted's.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...04#post1952204
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa View Post
A skerton sounds like a great idea until you crank that M.F. about 10,000 times, and then you hate it.

I have a vintage hand grinder that I hate with a passion. It makes a great grind, but I hate it.

My guess is krups or cuisinart will get the job done. Just expect to upgrade should you want to dabble in espresso / turkish / pour-over. Hell, anything listed as a 'burr grinder' on buy.com, w00t, groupon, living social, whatever should do the job. That way you're not blowing your budget.

A 'decent' grinder will run about $175 to start, and the sky is the limit. If you're gonna go cheap now, might as well go really cheap. Just my
Ted I ordered a Skerton. Going to replace the crank with a hex nut and use a drill on a slow setting to grind the beans. This should keep the center burr more centered during coarse grinding for my French press. If it still has issues I'll buy the bearing upgrade from orphan espresso. This grinder is apparently awesome for all types of grinds. It's only downfall is that it's manual. A drill or electric screwdriver should fix that. Lol